Aftermarket Stereo Systems

Old March 7th 05, 12:09 AM
phelper

Default Aftermarket Stereo Systems

I have a 99 Civic EX, and I'm curious if there are any aftermarket
stereo systems that will replace the existing Honda stereo and allow
me to retain usage of my remote keyless entry system? I'm interested
in a stereo system that will play CD-R/CD-RW/Mp3 discs... And if it
supports Sirius, even better (don't konw squat about that yet...).

Thanks.
Old March 7th 05, 12:56 AM
steve eddy

www.crutchfield.com

Old March 7th 05, 02:51 AM
Randolph

phelper wrote:

> I have a 99 Civic EX, and I'm curious if there are any aftermarket
> stereo systems that will replace the existing Honda stereo and allow
> me to retain usage of my remote keyless entry system? I'm interested
> in a stereo system that will play CD-R/CD-RW/Mp3 discs... And if it
> supports Sirius, even better (don't konw squat about that yet...).
>
> Thanks.

You will not find any after market system that duplicates the keyless
entry functions of the factory radio. This really isn't much of a
problem, as you have (at least) two options for retaining the keyless
entry when putting in an after-market stereo.

1. You can wire the new and the old stereo up at the same time and hide
the factory stereo behind the dash / center console (yes, it will fit!).
See http://tinyurl.com/4zbuc (leads to http://www.installdr.com) If you
do this, the factory stereo gets all connections except the speaker
wires, the new stereo gets all the wires except the keyless entry wires.
Do a search for "Civic Relocation harness" and you will probably find
ready made harnesses that will allow you to do this. I know Scosche
makes them. Remember to keep the front panel from the factory stereo;
You will need it if you ever need to reprogram the keyless entry
receiver.

2. You can install a new after market stereo and also install one of
these http://tinyurl.com/3eb77. (Part number 330-145 from
http://www.partsexpress.com). This is a complete keyless entry system
for $40. You will have to use the new key chain transmitters that come
with the unit, the original Honda key fobs will not work. This system
does everything the original factory system does, including priority
unlock (driver's door only on first press, all doors on second press,
feature can be programmed on or off) and dome light control (need an
additional relay, e.g. http://tinyurl.com/34457 at $1.19). It is easy to
install, as all the wires you need are available on the plug that went
into the factory stereo. If you go this route, post a real e-mail
address, and I can send you a wiring diagram. I have installed two of
these before.
A very modest collection of Honda tech info can be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph
Old March 7th 05, 02:58 AM
Randolph

Randolph wrote:

> Remember to keep the front panel from the factory stereo;
> You will need it if you ever need to reprogram the keyless entry
> receiver.

To clarify, some people remove the front panel from the factory stereo
before they hide the stereo behind the dash. If you need to reprogram
the keyless entry receiver, you need to have the face plate attached to
the stereo, as the face plate has the reset button. So, if you loose the
face plate and need to reprogram the keyless entry, you are up a certain
creek, lacking a propulsion system.

Old March 7th 05, 06:43 AM
motsco_ _

phelper wrote:
> I have a 99 Civic EX, and I'm curious if there are any aftermarket
> stereo systems that will replace the existing Honda stereo and allow
> me to retain usage of my remote keyless entry system? I'm interested
> in a stereo system that will play CD-R/CD-RW/Mp3 discs... And if it
> supports Sirius, even better (don't konw squat about that yet...).
>
> Thanks.

----------------------
Good question . . Some Civics lose the use of the keyless AND the dome
light, since it's all routed thru the radio. I can't remember, but I
think the site that uses to give that info away now charges for it. Some
folks stick the old stereo down behind the glove box to retain the
keyless features, and put a 'splitter' harness to hook up the new
stereo. Good thing you're looking into it very carefully before leaping.

'Curly'

Old March 7th 05, 07:14 AM
Randolph

motsco_ _ wrote:

> phelper wrote:
> > I have a 99 Civic EX, and I'm curious if there are any aftermarket
> > stereo systems that will replace the existing Honda stereo and allow
> > me to retain usage of my remote keyless entry system? I'm interested
> > in a stereo system that will play CD-R/CD-RW/Mp3 discs... And if it
> > supports Sirius, even better (don't konw squat about that yet...).
> >
> > Thanks.

> ----------------------
> Good question . . Some Civics lose the use of the keyless AND the dome
> light, since it's all routed thru the radio.

To be specific, in the US. it applies to model years 1996 through 1998
for the Civic. Honda came came to their senses and realized that the
number one upgrade to one of the most frequently modified cars on the
market is a new stereo system, and from the 1999 model year the keyless
entry system was no longer intertwined with the stereo.

Old March 14th 05, 03:07 AM
phelper

Thanks everyone!