Civic LX 97 not-so-stellar-performance

Old July 16th 05, 02:30 AM
chibitul

Default Civic LX 97 not-so-stellar-performance

Hi,

I got this Civic LX 97 a few weeks ago. I checked the engine
compression, it is OK, all cylinders 158-161psi.
I also have a 2001 Civic LX that my wife drives now. Both cars are
manual transmission.

Here is what I notices:

Acceleration: the 97 accelerates noticeably slower than the 01

Power/torque: When I climb a hill, I have to downshift 97 one more gear
compared to 01: let's say I use 3rd gear on 01, I have to use 2nd gear
on 97, to climb the same hill at the same speed.

Ping: I am not sure if that is a pinging sound or not, but I do hear a
different engine sound every once in a while when I drive the 97. I
could be wrong here though

Gas mileage: I get 27 mpg city compared to 30-32 on the 01.

So, what can I do? my next step would be to replace the sparkplugs, run
a fuel injector cleaner (Techron? I heard good things about this stuff)
and see what happens. Oh, I am also going to replace the air intake
filter.

Any other things to check?
Thanks

Old July 16th 05, 02:48 AM
jim beam

chibitul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got this Civic LX 97 a few weeks ago. I checked the engine
> compression, it is OK, all cylinders 158-161psi.
> I also have a 2001 Civic LX that my wife drives now. Both cars are
> manual transmission.
>
> Here is what I notices:
>
> Acceleration: the 97 accelerates noticeably slower than the 01
>
> Power/torque: When I climb a hill, I have to downshift 97 one more gear
> compared to 01: let's say I use 3rd gear on 01, I have to use 2nd gear
> on 97, to climb the same hill at the same speed.
>
> Ping: I am not sure if that is a pinging sound or not, but I do hear a
> different engine sound every once in a while when I drive the 97. I
> could be wrong here though
>
> Gas mileage: I get 27 mpg city compared to 30-32 on the 01.
>
> So, what can I do? my next step would be to replace the sparkplugs, run
> a fuel injector cleaner (Techron? I heard good things about this stuff)
> and see what happens. Oh, I am also going to replace the air intake
> filter.
>
> Any other things to check?
> Thanks

do you think the fact that the 01's got a 1.7l engine vs. the 97's 1.6l
has got anything to do with it? how about the better control
electronics for the newer [different engine model] affecting the
injection & therefore fuel economy? you also miss little details like
the mileage...

seriously, if you want to make sure the 97's as good as it can be, you
need to go right back to basics. make sure the ignition & injection
systems are good and adjusted right, make sure the valves are adjusted
right, make sure you don't have any binding brakes, use good tires &
inflate them properly... spend time working through all the service
items. take the time to know the vehicle for what it is, not what it isn't.

Old July 16th 05, 03:03 AM
chibitul

Right... I always thought a smaller engine is more efficient than a big
one. so the 97 (1.6L) vs. 01 (1.7L) is not that big of a difference.
But you are right, the electronics is probably very different. Also,
the 01 has 59k miles, but never had anything replaces (except tires).
According to the manual, spark plugs/timing belt/coolant/etc. are all
due after 100k miles.

On the other hand, the 97 has double the mileage (114k) and the manual
says to get new spark plugs every 30k. I don't know when the previous
owner replaced the spark plugs, and it will be due soon anyway, so I am
goona go ahead and replace them. The timing belt was done at 89k.
Brakes are also due soon.

What about the PCV valve? I found a couple or older posts inditating
that a bad PCV valve could drop the gas mileage by 10%. Is this
something a non-experienced guy like me could do?

thanks

Old July 16th 05, 03:11 AM
chibitul

I realized I should probably spell check before I hit "send"... sorry.

Old July 16th 05, 03:14 AM
jim beam

chibitul wrote:
> Right... I always thought a smaller engine is more efficient than a big
> one. so the 97 (1.6L) vs. 01 (1.7L) is not that big of a difference.
> But you are right, the electronics is probably very different. Also,
> the 01 has 59k miles, but never had anything replaces (except tires).
> According to the manual, spark plugs/timing belt/coolant/etc. are all
> due after 100k miles.
>
> On the other hand, the 97 has double the mileage (114k) and the manual
> says to get new spark plugs every 30k. I don't know when the previous
> owner replaced the spark plugs, and it will be due soon anyway, so I am
> goona go ahead and replace them. The timing belt was done at 89k.
> Brakes are also due soon.
>
> What about the PCV valve? I found a couple or older posts inditating
> that a bad PCV valve could drop the gas mileage by 10%. Is this
> something a non-experienced guy like me could do?

it probably doens't have one - it's a stick, not an automatic. check a
shop manual to be sure.

Old July 16th 05, 04:09 AM
motsco_ _

chibitul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got this Civic LX 97 a few weeks ago. I checked the engine
> compression, it is OK, all cylinders 158-161psi.
> I also have a 2001 Civic LX that my wife drives now. Both cars are
> manual transmission.
>
> Here is what I notices:
>
> Acceleration: the 97 accelerates noticeably slower than the 01
>
> Power/torque: When I climb a hill, I have to downshift 97 one more gear
> compared to 01: let's say I use 3rd gear on 01, I have to use 2nd gear
> on 97, to climb the same hill at the same speed.
>
> Ping: I am not sure if that is a pinging sound or not, but I do hear a
> different engine sound every once in a while when I drive the 97. I
> could be wrong here though
>
> Gas mileage: I get 27 mpg city compared to 30-32 on the 01.
>
> So, what can I do? my next step would be to replace the sparkplugs, run
> a fuel injector cleaner (Techron? I heard good things about this stuff)
> and see what happens. Oh, I am also going to replace the air intake
> filter.
>
> Any other things to check?
> Thanks

----------------------

Techron should help, do the plugs, check the timing, change the PCV.
Listen under hood for vacuum leaks, and perform the 'lamp Check' in the
manual to be sure you're not missing any indicators (idiot lights)

'Curly'

Old July 16th 05, 05:27 AM
Elle

"jim beam" > wrote
> chibitul wrote:
> > What about the PCV valve? I found a couple or older posts inditating
> > that a bad PCV valve could drop the gas mileage by 10%. Is this
> > something a non-experienced guy like me could do?

> it probably doens't have one - it's a stick, not an automatic. check a
> shop manual to be sure.

?

According to the online parts stores Majestic and San Leandro Honda, both
the automatic and manual 97 LX's have PCV valves.

Unless you're totally non-handy, it should not be hard to replace. Buy a new
grommet for it (for a few more bucks), too.

See an illustration of where it is via
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...artsSearch.jsp . It's
under "breather chamber" and goes for about $13 (not counting
shipping/handling) online. Probably around $20 at your local dealer.

When is the last time the 97 had new ignition wires? Distributor rotor? Fuel
filter?

I would do the air filter, plugs, and Chevron Techron, too.

Lastly, top off and purge of air the cooling system, per the manual's
directions. Air in the cooling system will result in certain engine control
components operating at the wrong temperature, and regulating the engine
incorrectly.

Old July 16th 05, 05:31 AM
jim beam

Elle wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote
>
>>chibitul wrote:
>>
>>>What about the PCV valve? I found a couple or older posts inditating
>>>that a bad PCV valve could drop the gas mileage by 10%. Is this
>>>something a non-experienced guy like me could do?

>>it probably doens't have one - it's a stick, not an automatic. check a
>>shop manual to be sure.

> ?
>
> According to the online parts stores Majestic and San Leandro Honda, both
> the automatic and manual 97 LX's have PCV valves.

you're right - i was thinking egr valve for some reason.

Old July 16th 05, 07:00 AM
disallow via CarKB.com

I test drove a 2002 civic coupe, it was noticeably slower than my 98 civic lx.
I think it has to do with LEV vs ULEV standards.

If your 97 is that sucked out, its time for a tune up, cap rotor plugs plug
wires fuel filter pcv valve air filter etc etc and do a timing adjustment!
Get honda parts, they are the best, and the price is not even that bad,
except the PCV valve, its $20 from the dealer and $3 from canadian tire, but
the canadian tire one is a piece of **** that doesn't even fit properly into
the rubber grommet. So once again, go with Honda parts!

Your 97 should then easily kick the ass of the 01. -GRIN-

Old July 16th 05, 07:04 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

In article .com>,
"chibitul" > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got this Civic LX 97 a few weeks ago. I checked the engine
> compression, it is OK, all cylinders 158-161psi.
> I also have a 2001 Civic LX that my wife drives now. Both cars are
> manual transmission.
>
> Here is what I notices:
>
> Acceleration: the 97 accelerates noticeably slower than the 01
>
> Power/torque: When I climb a hill, I have to downshift 97 one more gear
> compared to 01: let's say I use 3rd gear on 01, I have to use 2nd gear
> on 97, to climb the same hill at the same speed.
>
> Ping: I am not sure if that is a pinging sound or not, but I do hear a
> different engine sound every once in a while when I drive the 97. I
> could be wrong here though
>
> Gas mileage: I get 27 mpg city compared to 30-32 on the 01.
>
> So, what can I do? my next step would be to replace the sparkplugs, run
> a fuel injector cleaner (Techron? I heard good things about this stuff)
> and see what happens. Oh, I am also going to replace the air intake
> filter.
>
> Any other things to check?
> Thanks

The LX is the low-end 4 door. The EX and HX would accelerate better and
corner better. The HX has whacky gears so you'd still have to downshift
by one more gear, but the cruising RPMs would be comparable.