Paging Daniel Stern - amber turn signals

Old July 13th 05, 07:58 PM
y_p_w

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, y_p_w wrote:
>
> > I'm not trying it myself, but I've heard of people taking clear bulbs
> > and marking them with a clear orange sharpie.

> *laugh*
>
> People do all kinds of stupid, halfassed ****. This qualifies as that.

Well - I've done halfassed **** in a pinch. Once someone backed into
my dad's car in a supermarket parking lot when I borrowed it. I
exchanged insurance info and assessed the damage (slight sheetmetal
damage and a busted taillight assembly). Then I walked into the store
and got some translucent red tape to patch it up. It looked ugly,
but I figure I didn't want to risk getting a ticket.

Oh - I was looking around for alternatives and saw that the PIAA
"Mirror Orange" bulb is available in 7440. Don't know if they're
worth $40/pair, but I can't imagine that it's quite as bad as their
headlights.

Old July 13th 05, 09:10 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, y_p_w wrote:

> Well - I've done halfassed **** in a pinch.

In a pinch, sure. I got my '65 Valiant started and driveable home when the
distributor condenser failed by wiring a Tecumseh lawnmower engine
condenser across the coil negative and ground...but when I got home, I
fixed it right!

> Oh - I was looking around for alternatives and saw that the PIAA "Mirror
> Orange" bulb is available in 7440. Don't know if they're worth
> $40/pair, but I can't imagine that it's quite as bad as their
> headlights.

Every time I've figured that such-and-such a PIAA product can't be as bad
as their headlights...

....I've been wrong.

Also, if you pay $40 for a pair of turn signal bulbs, I'll come over there
and kick your ass myself. I can do it, too; I've got DSL.
Old July 13th 05, 10:20 PM
y_p_w

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, y_p_w wrote:
>
> > Well - I've done halfassed **** in a pinch.

> In a pinch, sure. I got my '65 Valiant started and driveable home
> when the distributor condenser failed by wiring a Tecumseh lawnmower
> engine condenser across the coil negative and ground...but when I got
> home, I fixed it right!

I'm thinking of keeping some of that translucent red tape in my car if
an "emergency" ever happens.

> > Oh - I was looking around for alternatives and saw that the PIAA
> > "Mirror Orange" bulb is available in 7440. Don't know if they're
> > worth $40/pair, but I can't imagine that it's quite as bad as their
> > headlights.

> Every time I've figured that such-and-such a PIAA product can't be as
> bad as their headlights...
>
> ...I've been wrong.
>
> Also, if you pay $40 for a pair of turn signal bulbs, I'll come over
> there and kick your ass myself. I can do it, too; I've got DSL.

Weren't you just recommending the Silverstar/Diadem or SilverVision
turn signal bulbs that go for $20-25/pair?

A local Subaru dealer has OEM (Koito?) amber 7440 for $14.98 each, and
would have to special order them. I don't even think Sylvania has
them in its catalog. I called up a local Kragen (CSK) and they can't
even order them. This has got to be a conspiracy!!! I did find this:

<http://www.candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/Wedge_Signal.pdf>

I've seen a couple of generic ones (incl Eurolite) for $3-4 each
online. I don't trust the quality though.

Old July 13th 05, 10:28 PM
Nate Nagel

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, y_p_w wrote:
>

>>Well - I've done halfassed **** in a pinch.

> In a pinch, sure. I got my '65 Valiant started and driveable home when the
> distributor condenser failed by wiring a Tecumseh lawnmower engine
> condenser across the coil negative and ground...but when I got home, I
> fixed it right!
>

>>Oh - I was looking around for alternatives and saw that the PIAA "Mirror
>>Orange" bulb is available in 7440. Don't know if they're worth
>>$40/pair, but I can't imagine that it's quite as bad as their
>>headlights.

> Every time I've figured that such-and-such a PIAA product can't be as bad
> as their headlights...
>
> ...I've been wrong.
>
> Also, if you pay $40 for a pair of turn signal bulbs, I'll come over there
> and kick your ass myself. I can do it, too; I've got DSL.

Um, Daniel, that's something that I usually associate with pouty,
attractive women, not guys wanting to kick ass

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old July 13th 05, 10:39 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, y_p_w wrote:

> > Also, if you pay $40 for a pair of turn signal bulbs, I'll come over
> > there and kick your ass myself. I can do it, too; I've got DSL.

> Weren't you just recommending the Silverstar/Diadem or SilverVision turn
> signal bulbs that go for $20-25/pair?

Last time I checked, $20 was half of $40.

> A local Subaru dealer has OEM (Koito?) amber 7440 for $14.98 each

Whotta laugh.

$4.98/ea here, in first/OEM quality.

> I called up a local Kragen (CSK) and they can't even order them. This
> has got to be a conspiracy!!! I did find this:
>
> <http://www.candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/Wedge_Signal.pdf>

1) That's what I meant when I said "available here".
2) Care to guess who wrote the copy for that sheet?

> I've seen a couple of generic ones (incl Eurolite) for $3-4 each
> online. I don't trust the quality though.

"Eurolit-backwards-E" and "quality" don't belong in the same sentence
together.
Old July 14th 05, 04:19 AM
Hugo Schmeisser

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, y_p_w wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to find a set of replacment amber 7440 bulbs for
> > the front and rear turn signals on my 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX. I
> > don't need them right now, but I keep several spare bulbs in a kit
> > in my trunk. Can't seem to find the amber ones in the aftermarket.

> Tough bulb to find. Even tougher to find in decent quality. We keep
> 'em in stock, send me an email via my website.

Speaking of tough-to-find bulbs, I've been having a devil of a time
finding a replacement for the Stanley 12V5W bulbs that came in the
corner lights of my '92 Civic. Two clear ones are used, one for the
signal and one for the marker light.

Stanley will not sell to the aftermarket (I called them), and my local
dealer does not stock them. They simply replace burnt-out ones with (I
think) 194s that are nowhere near as bright.

Do you keep these as well?

And as an aside, why do they silver-over with age? Is this the filament
depositing itself upon the glass?
Old July 14th 05, 04:40 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Hugo Schmeisser wrote:

> Speaking of tough-to-find bulbs, I've been having a devil of a time
> finding a replacement for the Stanley 12V5W bulbs that came in the
> corner lights of my '92 Civic. Two clear ones are used, one for the
> signal and one for the marker light.
>
> Stanley will not sell to the aftermarket (I called them), and my local
> dealer does not stock them. They simply replace burnt-out ones with (I
> think) 194s that are nowhere near as bright.
>
> Do you keep these as well?

Yep, in four different varieties.

> And as an aside, why do they silver-over with age? Is this the filament
> depositing itself upon the glass?

Yep.

Send me an e-mail via danielsternlighting.com and I'll get you helped out.
Old July 14th 05, 06:35 AM
Nate Nagel

Hugo Schmeisser wrote:
> Daniel J. Stern wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, y_p_w wrote:
>>

>>>I've been trying to find a set of replacment amber 7440 bulbs for
>>>the front and rear turn signals on my 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX. I
>>>don't need them right now, but I keep several spare bulbs in a kit
>>>in my trunk. Can't seem to find the amber ones in the aftermarket.

>>Tough bulb to find. Even tougher to find in decent quality. We keep
>>'em in stock, send me an email via my website.

> Speaking of tough-to-find bulbs, I've been having a devil of a time
> finding a replacement for the Stanley 12V5W bulbs that came in the
> corner lights of my '92 Civic. Two clear ones are used, one for the
> signal and one for the marker light.
>
> Stanley will not sell to the aftermarket (I called them), and my local
> dealer does not stock them. They simply replace burnt-out ones with (I
> think) 194s that are nowhere near as bright.
>
> Do you keep these as well?
>
> And as an aside, why do they silver-over with age? Is this the filament
> depositing itself upon the glass?

If they are replaced by 194s, try a W5W I think?

nate

Old July 14th 05, 03:34 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Nate Nagel wrote:

> > Speaking of tough-to-find bulbs, I've been having a devil of a time
> > finding a replacement for the Stanley 12V5W bulbs that came in the
> > corner lights of my '92 Civic. Two clear ones are used, one for the
> > signal and one for the marker light. Stanley will not sell to the
> > aftermarket (I called them), and my local dealer does not stock them.
> > They simply replace burnt-out ones with (I think) 194s that are
> > nowhere near as bright.

> If they are replaced by 194s, try a W5W I think?

Nope. W5W is closer than 194, but not the correct bulb for the
application.
Old July 14th 05, 04:07 PM
Ulf

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Is there any legitimate method for turning a clear glass bulb into an
> amber one? I'm not nuts about the lack of contrast between the turn
> signals and headlights, but I'm also not prepared to modify the very
> rare and expensive parking light housings with a different socket...

Actually, white parking lights/turn signals work pretty good, at least
as long as they're not too close to the headlights. I put clear turn
signal/parking/DRL bulbs on my Camaro (as a temporary fix after the
inspection) last spring, and I almost prefer having white DRLs, seem to
be less confusing IME.

There's also a product called "Color Chrome", or something like that. I
thought about buying a can and color the lights on my BMW a little. I'm
not sure if it works on bulbs, or only lenses, but it might be worth a
try. YMMV.

> nate

Ulf