jeep cherokee, ringing noise from front left tire

Old May 30th 05, 02:02 AM
pyite724

Default jeep cherokee, ringing noise from front left tire

I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport. There is an intermittent metallic
ringing or chiming noise coming from the left front tire. It gets loud
when I get to about 15 mph and sometime stops when I get above 55 mph.
If I am above or below those speeds, hitting a bump can start the
noise. I have black AR rims with chrome center caps. Could something
have come apart inside the chrome center cap and be rattling around?
Any ideas?

Old May 30th 05, 02:22 AM
pyite724

Wheelbearing maybe? Can they come out?

Old May 30th 05, 01:26 PM
Mike Romain

You could have a rock in there maybe. I also have a strange metallic
ringing and just found out my brake dust guard had rotted away from the
hub so flaps now and then.

The hubs are a sealed unit with one big nut holding things on. You
would have serious handling trouble if the nut let loose.

When the wheel bearings go bad, the brake pedal reflects it. The pedal
will be really low after taking a corner and then pump up.

You have u-joints at the ends of the front axles. Maybe one of these
has let go. They can be inspected by just turning the steering wheel to
the side and visually looking at them.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's