How to **** Off an Arrogant Pedalcyclist

Old May 20th 05, 11:03 PM
Chalo

Matthew Russotto wrote:

> Further, I'm not sure why a bicyclist only needs an 18-inch wide path
> but when he's out on the road a 48-inch wide path is just too narrow
> for him.

Perhaps that's because the objects to either side of him on the trail
won't mangle him and leave him for dead, but many of those on the road
will.

Chalo Colina

Old May 20th 05, 11:31 PM

Matthew Russotto wrote:

> My point is that bicycle paths aren't the undamagable

maintenance-free
> meccas you make them out to be.

A more important point is that bicycles inflict zero damage on the
roads. The points are largely independent - and both may be true.

> Further, I'm not sure why a bicyclist only needs an 18-inch wide path
> but when he's out on the road a 48-inch wide path is just too narrow
> for him.

Perhaps if you stood on the road, 30 inches from semis passing at 60
mph, you'd understand.

But perhaps not. Not everyone can understand everything, I've found.

- Frank Krygowski

Old May 21st 05, 12:27 AM
Jim Yanik

(Matthew Russotto) wrote in news:-O6dnWL-
:

> In article >,
> Wayne Pein > wrote:
>>
>>As far as I know, freeze-thaw damage only occurs when cracks are first
>>formed in the surface from heavy vehicle use and water enters these and
>>freezes.

> Freezing not only works from the surface, but from the soil beneath
> and around the road. Frost heaves can damage the surface themselves,
> and also cause cracking allowing further damage.
>
>>I've never seen heat buckling in my neck of the woods here in
>>NC, but I can't discount that it might happen elsewhere. I suspect that
>>it occurs when heavy vehicles operate on the hot surface and is not a
>>function of mere heat.

> You'd be wrong. Enough heat can force segments of concrete highways
> above neighboring ones.
>
>>by deterioration, which implies slow degregation. Any natural disaster
>>can destroy roads, but the culprit of deterioration is not age from just
>>sitting there but use from motor vehicles, and more precisely heavy ones.

> This is true on a road which is used by heavy vehicles, because that's
> the fastest method of deterioration from such roads. An unused
> Interstate-quality highway will last a good long time, because its
> base is too deep to allow vegetation to get a foothold, and it's
> well-drained (hopefully) and generally very thick. But eventually it
> will deteriorate. Lesser-quality roads will deteriorate much faster,
> particularly where freezes occur.

A long time ago,I read somewhere(maybe a PopSci article) that roadway life
is directly related to roadbed preparation,and that German roads lasted far
longer because they spent more on roadbed construction then the US.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old May 21st 05, 12:31 AM
Jim Yanik

Mark Mitchell > wrote in
news
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 23:05:08 +0000, Jim Yanik wrote:
>
>> Autos pay for the roads,bikes do not. Autos move more commerce than
>> bikes,too.

> My family owns 5 bicycles, and 2 cars. We pay licensing fees and gas
> taxes on our cars. Please explain how I haven't paid for the roads I and
> my family ride our bikes on.
>
> Mark

You pay for each and every auto you use on public roads.
You don't get to pay for one and the rest go for free.
Even motorcycles must pay for each MC used on the roads.
You haven't paid for any of your bikes.
Yet you expect the same priveleges as autos.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old May 21st 05, 01:50 AM
Brent P

In article >, Matthew Russotto wrote:

>>So your point is that contractors often do poor work and/or cheat
>>on specifications. As if this somehow reflects on the needs of bicycling.

> My point is that bicycle paths aren't the undamagable maintenance-free
> meccas you make them out to be.

Your proof is that a poorly paved surface will essentially self distruct.

> A paved bike path will be destroyed
> not by the bikes but by the winter and vegetation.

There are several once paved bike paths in northern cook county IL forest
preserves. They are quite ridable. I found the fine gravel an odd color.
On closer examination I found that the gravel was once pavement.

> An unpaved one
> will become rutted by the bikes and washed out in rain.

There was some single track trail that was in use from before I could
ride a bicycle until last year when houses were built there.

> crushed-gravel one will need the gravel periodically replenished
> (particularly after winter) and will also wash out in heavy rain (I've
> seen it happen).

I too, but only in portions where the contours of the land were not
respected.

> Further, I'm not sure why a bicyclist only needs an 18-inch wide path
> but when he's out on the road a 48-inch wide path is just too narrow
> for him.

Get rid of the car passing in the same lane and there is only a need for
18 inches.

Old May 21st 05, 01:51 AM
Paul

<rec.bicycles.misc removed>

On 20 May 2005 23:27:27 GMT, Jim Yanik , said the following in
rec.autos.driving...

> A long time ago,I read somewhere(maybe a PopSci article) that roadway life
> is directly related to roadbed preparation,and that German roads lasted far
> longer because they spent more on roadbed construction then the US.

<sarcasm> Remember, Astronauts, the space shuttle and rockets you are
fixing to ride on were built by the lowest bidder. </sarcasm>

Drivers: that also applies to the road you are driving on, too.
Old May 21st 05, 01:54 AM
Brent P

In article >, Jim Yanik wrote:

> You pay for each and every auto you use on public roads.
> You don't get to pay for one and the rest go for free.
> Even motorcycles must pay for each MC used on the roads.
> You haven't paid for any of your bikes.
> Yet you expect the same priveleges as autos.

Are you going to pay the taxes to collect a fair bicycle tax? I'll pay my
annual 75 cents if you'll pay the dollar or more in collection costs.

But let's examine your aruguement another way. It would be ok in your
eyes for him to have his 5 cars and my 3 cars on the road at the same
time, but not our two bicycles? You'd rather have 8 cars on the road
taking up space than two bicycles that together don't even take up the
space of one car. Seems insane to me.

Old May 21st 05, 01:58 AM
Brent P

Hey Scott, I ran into an actual arrogant pedalcyclist today.

I am waiting in a queue at a traffic light. About 6th in line, I'm in the
center of the lane behind a minivan. A guy on a mountain bike passes me
in the gutter and starts passing the motor vehicles ahead... the light
turns green and he nearly gets right hooked twice. He cuts through the
intersection in front of the minivan that I am behind. Now the minivan is
slowed to his speed, and thusly so am I. In a few seconds, the minivan
was able to pass, and then I got to pass mr. mountain bike.

I said to him 'lovely gutter passing', He responded with an arrogant
"Whatever".

Old May 21st 05, 03:30 AM
Bill Baka

Matthew Russotto wrote:
> In article >,
> Wayne Pein > wrote:
>
>>As far as I know, freeze-thaw damage only occurs when cracks are first
>>formed in the surface from heavy vehicle use and water enters these and
>>freezes.

> Freezing not only works from the surface, but from the soil beneath
> and around the road. Frost heaves can damage the surface themselves,
> and also cause cracking allowing further damage.
>

>>I've never seen heat buckling in my neck of the woods here in
>>NC, but I can't discount that it might happen elsewhere. I suspect that
>>it occurs when heavy vehicles operate on the hot surface and is not a
>>function of mere heat.

> You'd be wrong. Enough heat can force segments of concrete highways
> above neighboring ones.
>

>>by deterioration, which implies slow degregation. Any natural disaster
>>can destroy roads, but the culprit of deterioration is not age from just
>>sitting there but use from motor vehicles, and more precisely heavy ones.

> This is true on a road which is used by heavy vehicles, because that's
> the fastest method of deterioration from such roads. An unused
> Interstate-quality highway will last a good long time, because its
> base is too deep to allow vegetation to get a foothold, and it's
> well-drained (hopefully) and generally very thick. But eventually it
> will deteriorate. Lesser-quality roads will deteriorate much faster,
> particularly where freezes occur.

How about just plain crappy asphalt prepping and laying in too big a
hurry? I nice field in my area has turned into a thousand+ housing
development and they rushed the roads in and paved them with very little
prepping. Before the concrete was dry on the first few house foundations
some of the pavement was buckling up to 18" above the surrounding areas
by way of water pressure underground. It's California so it is a no
freeze zone. Some of the buckled areas were about ten feet in diameter
and they had to re-pave in a hurry since people from Silicon valley were
coming up and buying the houses just by looking at the floor plans and
two sample houses that had been built earlier (but just as shoddy). The
brand new buckled pavement would have been a dead give away how badly
the entire development was built. I never could get any information from
the workers, since not a one spoke English and I don't understand Spanish.
Maybe if it was a properly done county road it would have been better.
Bill Baka