broken idler pulley/tensioner bolt - '90 Lebaron

Old August 9th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
JustMe

Default broken idler pulley/tensioner bolt - '90 Lebaron

like an idiot, I overtightened the bolt that secures the tensioner
assembly (timing belt) while changing the water pump. Obviously I'm
going to need a screw extraction kit, some drill bits, and my B & D. I
can't help but wonder if I'm going to break the damned extractor in
the attempt. I soaked the thing several times w/PB. I guess I can
resort to drilling it all out and tapping a new hole.
So...anyone familiar w/this type of job? Your comments and

Old August 9th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
JustMe

and if anyone happens to know how long that bolt is, I could use that
bit of information. Or...will I know it if I'm drillin too far into
the engine block...

Old August 9th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"JustMe" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> like an idiot, I overtightened the bolt that secures the tensioner
> assembly (timing belt) while changing the water pump. Obviously I'm
> going to need a screw extraction kit, some drill bits, and my B & D. I
> can't help but wonder if I'm going to break the damned extractor in
> the attempt. I soaked the thing several times w/PB. I guess I can
> resort to drilling it all out and tapping a new hole.
> So...anyone familiar w/this type of job? Your comments and

Not sure exactly what you are referring to because you don't specify an
engine size. But if you overtightened a bolt and it broke off you don't need
to soak it. it isn't something that is rusted into the threads.And im sure
the bolt didn't bottom out and break. So you should be able to remove the
broken bolt rather easy. Purchase left turning drill bit (designed to
remove broken bolts) and you may get lucky and walk it right out.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old August 9th 07, 11:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

maxpower wrote:
> "JustMe" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>like an idiot, I overtightened the bolt that secures the tensioner
>>assembly (timing belt) while changing the water pump. Obviously I'm
>>going to need a screw extraction kit, some drill bits, and my B & D. I
>>can't help but wonder if I'm going to break the damned extractor in
>>the attempt. I soaked the thing several times w/PB. I guess I can
>>resort to drilling it all out and tapping a new hole.
>> So...anyone familiar w/this type of job? Your comments and
>>suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>

> Not sure exactly what you are referring to because you don't specify an
> engine size. But if you overtightened a bolt and it broke off you don't need
> to soak it. it isn't something that is rusted into the threads.And im sure
> the bolt didn't bottom out and break. So you should be able to remove the
> broken bolt rather easy. Purchase left turning drill bit (designed to
> remove broken bolts) and you may get lucky and walk it right out.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Also, if the broken end is not recessed, you could weld a smaller bolt
or rod to use to turn it out with (avoids the broken-off extractor
scenario).

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old August 9th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

Another suggestion is a trick i've used several times..

Take a really really sharp and pointy center punch and your hammer and
punch the bolt near the outside edge of the circle. Now angle the
punch in the mark you just made such that when you strike the punch
with your hammer, you will be turning the bolt counter-clockwise.
Works sometimes.

One time I was removing a clutch slave from an Iveco truck. Someone
was trying to remove it before me but neglected to tell me they
practically snapped one of the bolts already. I put the wrench on
and *SNAP*... had to pull the transmission to drill out the bolt.. LOL

Old August 9th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

On Aug 8, 8:32 pm, JustMe > wrote:
> and if anyone happens to know how long that bolt is, I could use that
> bit of information. Or...will I know it if I'm drillin too far into
> the engine block...

stop drilling when you see oil coming out of the hole..

LOL.. sorry couldn't resist

broken idler pulley/tensioner bolt - '90 Lebaron JustMe Technology 2 August 9th 07 03:21 AM
Broken water pump pulley bolt BAK Mazda 5 July 12th 07 10:35 PM
idler pulley Scott in Baltimore Jeep 17 March 3rd 06 05:55 PM
'94 Explorer Idler Pulley [email protected] Ford Explorer 0 February 25th 06 04:33 PM
XJ idler pulley Barry Jeep 2 May 12th 05 04:41 AM