Help 3.9L oil capacity issue

Old August 7th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Moses[_2_]

Default Help 3.9L oil capacity issue

I have a 99 RanVan with 3.9, no owners manual. Haynes says all full
size vans use 5 qts oil. This one, with filter change, shows over full
with 4 qts. Is this normal?
Old August 7th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
who

In article >,
Moses > wrote:

> I have a 99 RanVan with 3.9, no owners manual. Haynes says all full
> size vans use 5 qts oil. This one, with filter change, shows over full
> with 4 qts. Is this normal?

Possibly the oil pan is dented?
I'd have a look underneath.
Old August 7th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

who wrote:

> In article >,
> Moses > wrote:
>

>>I have a 99 RanVan with 3.9, no owners manual. Haynes says all full
>>size vans use 5 qts oil. This one, with filter change, shows over full
>>with 4 qts. Is this normal?

> Possibly the oil pan is dented?
> I'd have a look underneath.

That'd be a heck of a dent, so it should b e obvious ;-)

My guess is its got the wrong dipstick.
Old August 7th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Moses" > wrote in message
> I have a 99 RanVan with 3.9, no owners manual. Haynes says all full
> size vans use 5 qts oil. This one, with filter change, shows over full
> with 4 qts. Is this normal?

Engine oil with filter change 4.0 qts, Without filter change 3.5 qt

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old August 7th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

maxpower wrote:
> "Moses" > wrote in message
>
>>I have a 99 RanVan with 3.9, no owners manual. Haynes says all full
>>size vans use 5 qts oil. This one, with filter change, shows over full
>>with 4 qts. Is this normal?

> Engine oil with filter change 4.0 qts, Without filter change 3.5 qt
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Why oh why does anyone use Haynes manuals?

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old August 7th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> maxpower wrote:
> > "Moses" > wrote in message
> >
> >>I have a 99 RanVan with 3.9, no owners manual. Haynes says all full
> >>size vans use 5 qts oil. This one, with filter change, shows over full
> >>with 4 qts. Is this normal?

> > Engine oil with filter change 4.0 qts, Without filter change 3.5 qt
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> Why oh why does anyone use Haynes manuals?
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

Wait a minute Bill those manuals are good to have, just the other day I was
trying to burn a brush pile in the back yard and the pages I pulled out
made the fire start really fast. Thanx to Haynes I got the fire started
fast. I still have many pages left for the next time

Glenn

Old August 7th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
TNKev[_2_]

maxpower wrote:
> "Bill Putney" > wrote in message
>> maxpower wrote:

>>> Engine oil with filter change 4.0 qts, Without filter change 3.5 qt
>>>
>>> Glenn Beasley
>>> Chrysler Tech

>> Why oh why does anyone use Haynes manuals?
>>
>> Bill Putney
>> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
>> address with the letter 'x')

> Wait a minute Bill those manuals are good to have, just the other day I was
> trying to burn a brush pile in the back yard and the pages I pulled out
> made the fire start really fast. Thanx to Haynes I got the fire started
> fast. I still have many pages left for the next time
>
> Glenn

you just wait till your car breaks down on some country road and you
don't have your Haynes manual,what are you going to wipe with if you
have to poop?
Old August 8th 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

i've always liked the Robert Bentley manuals. Seems like sometimes
they are comparable, if not better than some FSMs.

Old August 8th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Bill Putney wrote:

>> Engine oil with filter change 4.0 qts, Without filter change 3.5 qt
>>
>> Glenn Beasley
>> Chrysler Tech

> Why oh why does anyone use Haynes manuals?

And why oh why didn't Chrysler give the 3.9 a decent oil capacity?!? I
guess because it was a shortened LA block and they didn't want to deepen
the sump. But hell, even the contemporary 3.5 v6 had a 5.5 quart
capacity (with stock filter, 6.0 quart if you use the FL1A/PH8/PF2 size
filter).
Old August 8th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

On Aug 8, 3:34 pm, Steve > wrote:
> Bill Putney wrote:
>
> >> Engine oil with filter change 4.0 qts, Without filter change 3.5 qt

> >> Glenn Beasley
> >> Chrysler Tech

> > Why oh why does anyone use Haynes manuals?

> And why oh why didn't Chrysler give the 3.9 a decent oil capacity?!? I
> guess because it was a shortened LA block and they didn't want to deepen
> the sump. But hell, even the contemporary 3.5 v6 had a 5.5 quart
> capacity (with stock filter, 6.0 quart if you use the FL1A/PH8/PF2 size
> filter).

The answer is easy... it would have lasted too long with more oil.
not to mention people would have been bitching when Jiffy Lube charged
them for extra quarts of oil not included in the standard deal.

My '99 3.9 ram van has 118,000 miles on it and it behaves like the oil
was changed maybe three or four times before I got it. Once I got
it, I changed the oil immediately... ran it with a quart of marvel
mystery and the rest oil for 100 miles, then changed the oil and
filter again. Ran it another 1000 miles, changed the oil and filter
again. It's running reasonably well, but smells of oil at idle and
has a "tap tap tap" at idle as well... my first guess would be a
hydraulic unit... but I don't really know for sure. It has become
less of a noise, but I really don't have confidence that it's not
going to be a problem in the next 40k or so.

The check engine light comes on after about 30 miles on the highway..
every time. The coolant temp starts to climb about that time as
well. I am thinking water pump. Can the water pump set the check
engine light? I get no meaningful codes... I brought it to the
advance auto store and the f*cker scanned it with the piece of $hit
and told me it was the O2 sensors... well.. replaced those things and
30 miles down the road *BAM*.... check engine again. LOL

Those stupid *******s have cost me more money .... one time I was
sold a 351 Windsor thermostat when I asked for a 351 cleveland
thermostat. 10 miles later, the original engine in my brother's '71
Mustang 'vert was overheated. Love it!

oil capacity and lifespan [email protected] Technology 4 August 4th 06 01:30 AM
Towing capacity [email protected] Chrysler 1 May 1st 06 09:13 PM
TJ towing capacity Patrick Jeep 46 July 26th 05 07:27 AM
AX-15 Capacity Will Honea Jeep 12 July 21st 05 09:20 PM
Tow capacity Campswamp1 Jeep 6 January 30th 05 10:07 PM