Why Manual Transmissions are superior

Old May 29th 05, 08:17 PM
Louis M. Brown

On Tue, 17 May 2005 07:42:26 -0700, "fbloogyudsr"
> wrote:

> wrote
>> You have an auto matic trans in your Volkswagen?! What a sacralige.

>On this I agree on ;-)
>
>> Anyway as for the so called "grade sensors" in new auto trans cars
>> these days. The main question is why? Who make auto's so over
>> engineered and so outrageously complicated to the point where cars
>> become out of reach to the masses because of price, and where cars are
>> so complex to the point where NOBODY can fix them once anything goes
>> wrong. What would seem like a simple repair would cost the price of
>> the car to fix (if used).
>>
>> I and many others like me certainly don't care of the
>> *over-engineering*. That's what manual transmissions are for, for
>> their durability, low maintainance costs, practicallity and elegant
>> simplicity.

>On this I disagree on. Newer autos are no more complicated than
>old ones - in fact they have fewer controls: one. The control is a
>single computer that has inputs from the speedometer, throttle,
>engine computer, ABS computer, etc. All those old mechano-hydraulic
>controls in the transmission, connected to the "kick-down" lever
>and vacuum are - thankfully - no more.
>
>Floyd

um.... "fewer controla?" Yea, it's hooked to a computer which depends
on, like you said, inputs from at least 5 different sensors.
The older trannies (w/vac. modulators, and the later ones, w/TV
cables/linkages) were simple, and generally easier to service. The
"kickdown" lever you're referring to was nothing but a valve connected
by linkage to a valve in the valve body (later, that job was also
handled by the TV cable/linkage, )
Not to mention, it was a hell of a lot easier to figure out what was
wrong with those older trannies.

-LMB

Old May 29th 05, 08:33 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Louis M. Brown" > wrote
> Not to mention, in hilly country, a manual can even be a bit
> dangerous. Consider, you're heading uphill when you hit a stopsign
> (Don't laugh, they have areas like this in Three Rivers, California,
> as well as above Porterville, ) In order to keep from rolling
> backwards, you'd have to hold your brakes...then, you gotta let off
> the clutch and give it enough gas, timing it just right so you don't
> roll back too far and nail the guy behind you, (after, of course,
> releasing the brakes.) An auto has the advantage here, obviously.

No, it doesn't. That's what your parking brake is for.
Or, you just don't have the dexterity (either because you're
a klutz or haven't practiced enough).

Floyd
Old May 30th 05, 02:50 AM
Harry K

fbloogyudsr wrote:
> "Louis M. Brown" > wrote
> > Not to mention, in hilly country, a manual can even be a bit
> > dangerous. Consider, you're heading uphill when you hit a stopsign
> > (Don't laugh, they have areas like this in Three Rivers, California,
> > as well as above Porterville, ) In order to keep from rolling
> > backwards, you'd have to hold your brakes...then, you gotta let off
> > the clutch and give it enough gas, timing it just right so you don't
> > roll back too far and nail the guy behind you, (after, of course,
> > releasing the brakes.) An auto has the advantage here, obviously.

> No, it doesn't. That's what your parking brake is for.
> Or, you just don't have the dexterity (either because you're
> a klutz or haven't practiced enough).
>
> Floyd

Well actually the auto does have an advantage in that it doesn't
require the driver to develop any minimal coordination skills. Anyone
with a manual that lets a car roll back -at all- needs to get either
training or an auto.

Harry K

Old May 30th 05, 02:56 AM
Harry K

Louis M. Brown wrote:
> On 14 May 2005 08:24:23 -0700, wrote:
>
> >It's just like acting and being an actor or actress. There are those
> >of you who would know what can happen if a person tries to *act a
> >certain character* rather than *be a certain character*. There is a
> >significant difference. The person just acting is not very credible
> >and he/she looks out of sync and overall out of place.
> >
> >On the other hand actors/actresses who do know how to act (and act
> >well), they actually *become* the character rather than *act* the
> >character.
> >
> >Vivian Leah was so good at being her character in front of the camera
> >to the point where her career gave her major manic depression that
> >could not be controlled by medication. She ended up recieved EST
> >(electric shock therapy). That just goes to show how commited she was
> >and that she was an amazing actress.
> >

> >Now keeping all the above in line imagine all the cars in hill country.
> > Everyone driving their cars with manual transmissions are not riding
> >their brakes the way those driving their automatic transmission cars
> >are doing. This is because the drivers with manual transmissions are
> >synchronized with not only the gradients of the road but with their
> >vehicles RPM's and MPH as well.
> >
> >The drivers with their manual transmissions are "being the car", rather
> >than the drivers with their slush boxes that are merely "acting/driving
> >the car".
> >
> >Ever heard of the expression, "Don't drive the car, be the car"? Well
> >this is where it comes from.
> >
> >Drivers in their slush box cars should be banned from the road.

> Sounds like a troll, it does....

<snip>

> -LMB

No, as hard as it may be to believe he is serious. The things he posts
come right out of the juvenile auto discussions from kids just learning
to drive. We are missing Cory Dunkles input about the "classic" (that
isn't) 68 galaxies. He would fit right in with the OP.

Harry K

Old May 30th 05, 05:08 AM
FanJet

Harry K wrote:
> fbloogyudsr wrote:
>> "Louis M. Brown" > wrote
>>> Not to mention, in hilly country, a manual can even be a bit
>>> dangerous. Consider, you're heading uphill when you hit a stopsign
>>> (Don't laugh, they have areas like this in Three Rivers, California,
>>> as well as above Porterville, ) In order to keep from rolling
>>> backwards, you'd have to hold your brakes...then, you gotta let off
>>> the clutch and give it enough gas, timing it just right so you don't
>>> roll back too far and nail the guy behind you, (after, of course,
>>> releasing the brakes.) An auto has the advantage here, obviously.

>> No, it doesn't. That's what your parking brake is for.
>> Or, you just don't have the dexterity (either because you're
>> a klutz or haven't practiced enough).
>>
>> Floyd

> Well actually the auto does have an advantage in that it doesn't
> require the driver to develop any minimal coordination skills. Anyone
> with a manual that lets a car roll back -at all- needs to get either
> training or an auto.
>
> Harry K

Ahhh, BS. My car came with rear view mirror (standard) and I know how to use
it.

Old May 30th 05, 05:27 AM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Harry K" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> fbloogyudsr wrote:
> > "Louis M. Brown" > wrote
> > > Not to mention, in hilly country, a manual can even be a bit
> > > dangerous. Consider, you're heading uphill when you hit a stopsign
> > > (Don't laugh, they have areas like this in Three Rivers, California,
> > > as well as above Porterville, ) In order to keep from rolling
> > > backwards, you'd have to hold your brakes...then, you gotta let off
> > > the clutch and give it enough gas, timing it just right so you don't
> > > roll back too far and nail the guy behind you, (after, of course,
> > > releasing the brakes.) An auto has the advantage here, obviously.

> > No, it doesn't. That's what your parking brake is for.
> > Or, you just don't have the dexterity (either because you're
> > a klutz or haven't practiced enough).
> >
> > Floyd

> Well actually the auto does have an advantage in that it doesn't
> require the driver to develop any minimal coordination skills. Anyone
> with a manual that lets a car roll back -at all- needs to get either
> training or an auto.

Note that given a 6% grade or steeper, some 4-cylinder AUTO transmissions
(e.g,. Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra.) will even roll back a bit until
throttle is applied. In other words, just letting off the brake pedal starts
a rollback, until throttle is actually applied.

The only difference is that in an auto transmission, one can hold the brake
with the left foot while applying moderate throttle, then release the brake
when the vehicle starts to roll forward.

Furthermore, there is a third method of not rolling back even in a manual
transmission that if often frowned upon, but it can be done. That, of
course, is holding the vehicle stationary on the incline by maintaining the
clutch in a "halfway" position while applying very light throttle. Do it too
often, though, and I understand that the clutch can eventually burn out.

It's official. Manual transmissions are making a comeback. Gordon McGrew Honda 44 March 28th 05 05:39 PM
Fluids/Additives for Manual Transmissions Death Technology 0 December 15th 04 12:10 AM
Shop manual price Black Bomb Corvette 1 August 11th 04 03:27 PM
Ebay auction 1993 626 Mazda Factory Service Manual Dale Alexander General 0 March 14th 04 05:11 AM