604 trans overheating?

Old September 10th 05, 04:05 PM
Bentracer and Bentrider

Default 604 trans overheating?

can someone tell what can cause overheating of the fluid in a a604
trans?
i have had some problems with the trans lately and had the valve body
replaced,safty switch replaced,seninoild pack replaced, and now it sees
that the trans is overheating and my cooling fans are staying until i
turn the engine off.
then when i restart it again everything seems to be ok until it heats
up again.
Thanks in advance

Old September 11th 05, 03:52 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Bentracer and Bentrider" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> can someone tell what can cause overheating of the fluid in a a604
> trans?
> i have had some problems with the trans lately and had the valve body
> replaced,safty switch replaced,seninoild pack replaced, and now it sees
> that the trans is overheating and my cooling fans are staying until i
> turn the engine off.
> then when i restart it again everything seems to be ok until it heats
> up again.
> Thanks in advance

possibly low fluid pressure it's not circulating the fluid? What model
car is this and what year is it and what's the mileage? What are the
symptoms
- how do you know it's overheating? And exactly how much have you spent
already
getting the valve body and selonoid pack replaced? Those items generally
aren't the first things to break down - sounds like you have an incompetent/
inexperienced tech fooling around with this trans. Have you had it
code-scanned?

These trans really work best with an external cooler in addition to the
in-radiator
tank cooler (if it was fitted with an in-radiator cooler originally)

Ted

Old September 11th 05, 02:38 PM
Bentracer and Bentrider

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> "Bentracer and Bentrider" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > can someone tell what can cause overheating of the fluid in a a604
> > trans?
> > i have had some problems with the trans lately and had the valve body
> > replaced,safty switch replaced,seninoild pack replaced, and now it sees
> > that the trans is overheating and my cooling fans are staying until i
> > turn the engine off.
> > then when i restart it again everything seems to be ok until it heats
> > up again.
> > Thanks in advance
> >

> possibly low fluid pressure it's not circulating the fluid? What model
> car is this and what year is it and what's the mileage? What are the
> symptoms
> - how do you know it's overheating? And exactly how much have you spent
> already
> getting the valve body and selonoid pack replaced? Those items generally
> aren't the first things to break down - sounds like you have an incompetent/
> inexperienced tech fooling around with this trans. Have you had it
> code-scanned?
>
> These trans really work best with an external cooler in addition to the
> in-radiator
> tank cooler (if it was fitted with an in-radiator cooler originally)
>
> Ted

Ted:
thanks for your response,
i have had it scanned by the dealer and they were the ones that told me
this and replaced those two parts.now the 97'GV 3.3 with 113k miles is
in the shop again and now this time the service writer told that i now
need a new trans after i already spent nearly 1k on replacing those two
parts that i was told that that was my problem after i took it in for
the first time for the problem being ghost downshifting and engine lite
on.
and when engine was turned off for a little then the vehicle drove
fine.

Thanks.

Old September 11th 05, 04:56 PM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Bentracer and Bentrider" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> > "Bentracer and Bentrider" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > > can someone tell what can cause overheating of the fluid in a a604
> > > trans?
> > > i have had some problems with the trans lately and had the valve body
> > > replaced,safty switch replaced,seninoild pack replaced, and now it

sees
> > > that the trans is overheating and my cooling fans are staying until i
> > > turn the engine off.
> > > then when i restart it again everything seems to be ok until it heats
> > > up again.
> > > Thanks in advance
> > >

> > possibly low fluid pressure it's not circulating the fluid? What model
> > car is this and what year is it and what's the mileage? What are the
> > symptoms
> > - how do you know it's overheating? And exactly how much have you spent
> > already
> > getting the valve body and selonoid pack replaced? Those items

generally
> > aren't the first things to break down - sounds like you have an

incompetent/
> > inexperienced tech fooling around with this trans. Have you had it
> > code-scanned?
> >
> > These trans really work best with an external cooler in addition to the
> > in-radiator
> > tank cooler (if it was fitted with an in-radiator cooler originally)
> >
> > Ted

> Ted:
> thanks for your response,
> i have had it scanned by the dealer and they were the ones that told me
> this and replaced those two parts.now the 97'GV 3.3 with 113k miles is
> in the shop again and now this time the service writer told that i now
> need a new trans after i already spent nearly 1k on replacing those two
> parts that i was told that that was my problem after i took it in for
> the first time for the problem being ghost downshifting and engine lite
> on.
> and when engine was turned off for a little then the vehicle drove
> fine.
>
> Thanks.

OK first it wasn't ghost downshifting, it was the transmission computer
slamming the transmission into second gear. This is called "limp mode"
in the tech manuals and Chrysler has designed it into the transmission in
order to save the transmission if some major failure occurs. Who told
you the term "ghost downshifting" was it the dealer? I personally distrust
people who use NewSpeak (reference 1984) When you turn off the vehicle
it resets the computer, then you turn it on again and the computer lets
the trans work normally until the problem occurs. This has NOTHING
whatsoever to do with overheating. The most common thing that causes
this are small transmission fluid leaks from the transmission cooling lines
that drip down over the input speed sensor and make the electrical
contact on the plug in that sensor get intermittent - or the sensor itself
gets intermittent, or the output speed sensor gets intermittent. These are
easily checked with a scan tool and should have been ruled out
first. Did the dealer tell you the actual failure codes from the
transmission,
not their conclusion of what was to blame?

When a transmission is rebuilt is it SOP to replace the selonoid pack
as you don't know what might be inside the old pack, and you don't
want whatever is in there going into the new trans. So if they rebuild
yours
to do it right they need to replace the new selonoid pack they just
put in there.

You have already spent almost 1/2 the cost of a completely rebuilt
transmission. I just got mine rebuilt last week for $1400, -I- did
the in-and-out myself. You should be able to find someone to do
a complete rebuild + in-and-out for $2500 or so.

Obviously both the valve body and the selonoid pack didn't need
replacing. Your kind of between a rock and a hard place here
because the dealer has been stringing you along, and if you tell
them to kiss off then your probably going to lose that $1K. If you
keep dealing with them then you might be able to scream and ****
and moan and get them to apply that $1K as credit towards a
rebuilt trans. - keeping in mind that they are going to charge more
money than most places to rebuild the trans.

If you used a credit card to pay that $1K and your
card has a customer satisfaction policy on it then you can try
disputing the charges, that will get you the moneyback but then
they could come after you with a collections agency. Otherwise
you can try taking back your van and then file in small claims for the
$1000. You have proof -from them - that the work they have
done so far was based on failed diagnosis, thus they have defrauded
you if they don't at least repay you the labor portion of that
$1K. It isn't your responsibility to pay for their techs training
and education. They are also probably requred by law to offer you the
old parts they pulled out and if they didn't you could probably get
the cost of those too in a small claims judgement.

A lot of what you do now depends on your comfort level with this
dealership. The onus is on them to prove to you that they are
competent to proceed with further repairs on this vehicle. So
far who have you been talking to - the service advisor? If so
keep in mind that if the service advisor was competent to repair
vehicles they would be out in the bays doing it, not in the front
trying to scam money out of customers. Sometimes if you
demand to talk to the actual mechanic who did the work you
might get a much more clear answer than letting the service
advisor filter it. If you go back there and just get a lot of BS
from them you might be better off just cutting your lossses and
going elsewhere.

If you do proceed with a rebuild you should review the info he

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

Good luck!

Ted