WalMart wants truckers working 16 hour days

Old March 9th 05, 08:56 PM
George Grapman

Default WalMart wants truckers working 16 hour days

Richard wrote:
> On 9 Mar 2005 00:11:05 -0800 Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
>

>>http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/08/tru....ap/index.html
>>
>>Retailers want 16-hour trucker workday
>>Critics: 'Sweatshop-on-wheels amendment'
>>Tuesday, March 8, 2005 Posted: 7:35 PM EST (0035 GMT)
>>

> The congressman is being bullyed by walmart to push the legislation.
> The only reason walmart wants the rules changed is so that they can keep
> drivers on the road longer.
> Obviously, they fed the congressman with a bunch of garbage and kickbacks to
> get him to sponsor the bill.
>
> The way I feel about the HOS rules, being a trucker myself, is that they
> should just KISS it.
> Keep it simple stupid.
> First, eliminate the 70 hours in 8 day rule.
> That means once a driver accumulates 70 hours in 8 days, he has to shut
> down.
>
> My proposal is somewhat base on the european system.
> 12 hours a day of driving. Every day.
> Mandatory 10 hours of rest, in the sleeper berth or off duty continous. Off
> duty is not counted otherwise.
> An option could be that at the end of 7 days, the driver must shut down for
> 24 hours.
> That would force the driver to rest.
>
> Companies that insist on drivers violating the law would have their license
> to operate suspended for a period. Heavy fines apparently don't seem to make
> any difference.
>
> The last company I worked for expected me to violate the law numerous times.
> I turned my log book in with known violations and told them I would not
> change them for nuthin.
> Why should I save their skin when they were the ones who insisted I do so?
>
> The problem is, the DOT does not have enough man power to properly enforce
> the rules on the thousands of companies and millions of drivers.
> Then you also have the problem of ill trained officers who know very little
> of the laws and will cite a trucker for any violation he can even if he has
> to create the law himself.
>
> I agree, the rules need to be changed, as does enforcement of.

There will always be ways to evade the rules.
At one time I drove a taxi in New York. At that time drivers, rather
than leasing the cab, got a percentage of the meter (48/49 percent) so
you at least never lost money on a shift.
I would start my Saturday shift at around 4 p.m. Sometime late that
night I would check in the cab and settle up with the company. They
would then give me another cab. Supposedly I was taking that cab home so
it would be ready when I started my Sunday shift (it was an incentive to
get more Sunday drivers). In reality I kept on working with a new cab
and trip card. BY 9 a.m. I was ready yo call it quits. I would go home
and sleep. The rest of the day the cab was mine (used to go to Madison
Square Garden and park right in front) and would return the cab sometime
that evening.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell