E34 vague on-center?

Old January 8th 05, 10:01 AM
Joseph Santaniello

Default E34 vague on-center?

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a '90 520i. I've never driven another E34 so I'm not sure
how they are "supposed" to feel. I have a 97 E36 that fells A LOT better
on center. Much more precise. My E34 is currently on studded snow tires
so I don't know how much that contributes to the lack of feel on center.
It doesn't seem like there is any slack on center, just that things are
vague until the wheel is turned for more than a few degrees.

Is there some common suspension or steering component which I should
take a look at for wear? This was a cheap car I got as a temporary
measure so I don't feel like spending lots of money.

Or are E34's just kind of vague compared to E36's?

Thanks.

Joseph
Old January 8th 05, 11:14 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Joseph Santaniello > wrote:
> Or are E34's just kind of vague compared to E36's?

In the straight ahead position, yes. They have a steering box rather than
the rack and pinion on the E36. You have to wait for the E39 six cylinder
before you get R&P on a 5, and the E60 for all models.

However, you do get used to it quite quickly, and it's as positive as any
box system. Some say sports suspension improves it.

--
*The beatings will continue until morale improves *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old January 8th 05, 01:23 PM
Joseph Santaniello

In > Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article >,
> Joseph Santaniello > wrote:
>> Or are E34's just kind of vague compared to E36's?

> In the straight ahead position, yes. They have a steering box rather
> than the rack and pinion on the E36. You have to wait for the E39 six
> cylinder before you get R&P on a 5, and the E60 for all models.
>
> However, you do get used to it quite quickly, and it's as positive as
> any box system. Some say sports suspension improves it.

That is just the answer I was looking for. I thought it might just be
the way it is.

Lot's of ice around here and I admit to spending a lot of time sideway.
With lots of lock cranked in, it is very precise. I'll see how it is on
dry roads with proper summer tires in a few months. It has been too
slippery to see what sort of feel in a normal driving situation the car
has.

Joseph
Old January 8th 05, 05:25 PM
Mike G

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Joseph Santaniello > wrote:
> > Or are E34's just kind of vague compared to E36's?

> In the straight ahead position, yes. They have a steering box rather than
> the rack and pinion on the E36. You have to wait for the E39 six cylinder
> before you get R&P on a 5, and the E60 for all models.
>
> However, you do get used to it quite quickly, and it's as positive as any
> box system. Some say sports suspension improves it.

Well, at least one for certain. :-)

But it does appear to be a very common criticism of E34 steering, that
doesn't appear to have an easy cure.
Apparently most just get used to it, without any worries.
Mike.

Old January 9th 05, 01:30 AM
N Williamson

In article >,
Joseph Santaniello > wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I just bought a '90 520i. I've never driven another E34 so I'm not sure
> how they are "supposed" to feel. I have a 97 E36 that fells A LOT better
> on center. Much more precise. My E34 is currently on studded snow tires
> so I don't know how much that contributes to the lack of feel on center.
> It doesn't seem like there is any slack on center, just that things are
> vague until the wheel is turned for more than a few degrees.
>
> Is there some common suspension or steering component which I should
> take a look at for wear? This was a cheap car I got as a temporary
> measure so I don't feel like spending lots of money.
>
> Or are E34's just kind of vague compared to E36's?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joseph

I have a '92 I bought new and it's the same. In fact, before buying I
had read a review in Car & Driver and it mentioned the same. Don't even
notice it now. Tons different though than the wife's 2003 325 w/sport
package. I prefer mine

Nate

Why is it all the sensors seeking intelligent
life are pointed away from earth?
Old January 9th 05, 01:12 PM
The Malt Hound

"Joseph Santaniello" > wrote in message
> In > Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Joseph Santaniello > wrote:
>>> Or are E34's just kind of vague compared to E36's?

>> In the straight ahead position, yes. They have a steering box rather
>> than the rack and pinion on the E36. You have to wait for the E39 six
>> cylinder before you get R&P on a 5, and the E60 for all models.
>>
>> However, you do get used to it quite quickly, and it's as positive as
>> any box system. Some say sports suspension improves it.
>>

> That is just the answer I was looking for. I thought it might just be
> the way it is.
>
> Lot's of ice around here and I admit to spending a lot of time sideway.
> With lots of lock cranked in, it is very precise. I'll see how it is on
> dry roads with proper summer tires in a few months. It has been too
> slippery to see what sort of feel in a normal driving situation the car
> has.

While it is true that the RB steering is a bit more vague than R&P, a worn
RB steering box will definitely increase this effect dramatically. The lash
can be adjusted on the box which sometimes improves the feel dramatically.
Did on my '94 E34 anyway...

Go thee he
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/steeringplay.htm

MaltHound

Old January 10th 05, 06:55 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
FoggyBottom > wrote:
> No, they're not. My '89 535 drives as precisely as any similar car
> with R&P.

That'll be a first, then.

--
*Gun Control: Use both hands.

Old January 10th 05, 11:18 PM
The Malt Hound

"FoggyBottom" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 09:01:02 GMT, Joseph Santaniello
> > wrote:
>
>>Or are E34's just kind of vague

> No, they're not. My '89 535 drives as precisely as any similar car
> with R&P. It takes good tires and proper adjustment of free play in
> the steering box. I would expect anything with studded tires to drive
> like crap.

....except in the ice and snow.

Old January 12th 05, 09:20 AM
Harri Holopainen

FoggyBottom > wrote:
>No, they're not. My '89 535 drives as precisely as any similar car
>with R&P. It takes good tires and proper adjustment of free play in
>the steering box. I would expect anything with studded tires to drive
>like crap.

depends on tires - if they're proper winter tires which are designed
to be studded, they merely suck slightly if they're cheapo and/or
re-treaded tires, they're crap.

at least on non-studded winter tires (especially Hakka Q's) it is a
good idea to increase the tire pressure 30-40%. it makes a significant
difference to handling.

Old January 12th 05, 05:43 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Harri Holopainen" > wrote
> FoggyBottom > wrote:
> at least on non-studded winter tires (especially Hakka Q's) it is a
> good idea to increase the tire pressure 30-40%. it makes a significant
> difference to handling.

That's probably very bad advice. Since the placard recommends that
the inflation for max gross is in the 38-41psi range and the max pressure
of my tires (not Hakkas - Michelin Pilot Alpine) is 51psi, that could put
them beyond safe limits.

Floyd