How do I calculate Torque?

Old March 7th 05, 02:53 PM
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

AChevyFan wrote:

> That's a great algrebra lesson but I am assuming that I have neither HP nor
> Torque to calculate so that doesn't help me.

Ah, then your only choice is either a dyno session or one of these
accelerometers. With the accelerometer you can compute torque at rear
axle but it also takes a lot of algebra. Knowing the rear axle ratio
you can convert rear axle torque to transmission torque, and ultimately
to engine torque, though that is a bit iffy with an automatic (fine to
do with manual box, however).
Old March 7th 05, 05:33 PM
Brian

I've seen formulas to calculate - or estimate - hp from acceleration data.
If I had nothing and wanted to do better than a guess, I would probably get
one of those G-force accelerometer gadgets.

Old March 7th 05, 07:04 PM
Steve

AChevyFan wrote:

> What is the calculation for torque?
> I know the Horsepower is:
>
> HP = Torque(lb-ft) * RPM/5252
>
> But how do I get Torque?

Not sure what you're asking here. Typically, torque is MEASURED, not
calculated. Horsepower is computed from measured torque.

If you have a horsepower curve and you want to back-derive torque, just
solve for Torque in your equation above: (HP*5252)/RPM
Old March 7th 05, 07:07 PM
Steve

AChevyFan wrote:

> That's a great algrebra lesson but I am assuming that I have neither HP nor
> Torque to calculate so that doesn't help me.

OK then... what DO you have? You have to know something to start the
calculation.

And any calculation that depends on knowing cylinder pressure will have
to be converted to BMEP, and you'll have to know the engine's geometry
as well (bore and stroke). Calculations like that aren't very precise
unless you have a full-blown computer model akin to "Desktop Dyno."

Old March 7th 05, 07:08 PM
Steve

Actually, its first-year "Physics for Engineering Students," regardless
of engineering discipline (even us EEs had to take basic physics and
mechanics.

Old March 8th 05, 02:53 PM

Brian wrote:

> I've seen formulas to calculate - or estimate - hp from acceleration data.
> If I had nothing and wanted to do better than a guess, I would probably get
> one of those G-force accelerometer gadgets.

If you carefully plot acceleration versus speed, yeah, you can do it.

If you use an average, like a 0-60 time, you will get an AVERAGE torque,
not a peak one, or a torque vs rpm.

Further, 0-60 is too high, because at speeds above about 35-50 mph, air
resistance is using a considerable torque. It would not be just a
function of mass of car. So you'd have to compute acceleration vs speed
up to 30, at several data points. This is getting a bit hard to measure
accurately by a stopwatch and speedometer, which is why actual
accelerometer is good. I have seen some for a little over a hundred bucks.

Old March 8th 05, 03:38 PM

Using vehicle acceleration to measure hp is useless. We've done it
with airplanes on takeoff, and we get a horsepower figure of about
one-fifth of what we know the engine is giving us. Any movement thru
air represents drag, any rolling wheels represent drag, and the losses
through the drivetrain are significant. Further, unless the engine is
operating at the desired RPMs (redline or max torque) it's all
irrelevant.
The most accurate measurements use an engine brake and
torquemeters. Torque x RPM x 6.28 divided by 33,000 equals hp.

Dan

Torque Wrench Seraph Honda 12 February 6th 05 10:07 PM
torque wrench calibration [email protected] Technology 7 December 20th 04 05:47 PM
Does the Chrysler Corporation Car Production Broadcast paper show pinion bearing preload and pinion nut torque? JP Dodge 6 September 21st 04 02:16 AM
Why/How do diesels deliver *less* power but *more* torque? [email protected] General 2 September 15th 04 11:39 PM