156 problems filling up the petrol?

Old July 1st 04, 05:07 PM
fmt

Default 156 problems filling up the petrol?

Being a new owner of a 156 I'm starting to learn all the delights of
owning and driving an Italian car, but one thing that's really bugging
me at the moment is as regards putting petrol in the car.
I've tried at 5 different fuel stations, but everytime the same thing
happens.
Nozzle goes in, fuel delivery starts, then automatically stops (safety
device in the nozzle cuts in) after about 30p worth. This continues
to happen throughout the whole delivery time.
I've resorted to filling the car to the brim every time (£50 nearly)
but it takes forever to fill up, I'm talking 5 minutes or
so........surely this isn't right?
I've tried releasing the pressure on the nozzle, ands whilst this
works it just means the petrol is delivered really slowly, I've angled
the nozzle, I've even tried it upside down! Same problem always seems
to exist.
Has anyone else ever experienced this phenomenom and if so how do I
cure it?
Many thanks
FMT
Old July 1st 04, 07:10 PM
Alfistagj

There is one simple trick:
Hold the nozzle almost fully upside down(150dgr. will do), so the hose
coming from above.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"fmt" > schreef in bericht
om...

Old July 2nd 04, 07:55 AM
Claude

Alfistagj> There is one simple trick: Hold the nozzle almost fully
Alfistagj> upside down(150dgr. will do), so the hose coming from
Alfistagj> above.

I have experienced the same thing with my 156. Unfortunately you have
to hold the nozzle in that upward position all the time during fuel
delivery. Since most of the automatic devices in the nozzle of most
vendors are broken or disabled (speaking of the Helsinki area) it does
not really matter: I got use to stand holding the nozzle during refill
with my previous car.

[...]
--
Claude
Old July 3rd 04, 04:41 PM
Neil

It largely depends on fuel pump. I have the same problem with many
cars, e.g. Vauxhall Corsa, so it's not just an Alfa-issue.
Old July 5th 04, 10:20 AM
Antti

"Claude" > wrote in message

> writes:
>
> Alfistagj> There is one simple trick: Hold the nozzle almost fully
> Alfistagj> upside down(150dgr. will do), so the hose coming from
> Alfistagj> above.
>
> I have experienced the same thing with my 156. Unfortunately you have
> to hold the nozzle in that upward position all the time during fuel
> delivery. Since most of the automatic devices in the nozzle of most
> vendors are broken or disabled (speaking of the Helsinki area) it does
> not really matter: I got use to stand holding the nozzle during refill
> with my previous car.
>
> [...]
> --
> Claude

No problems with fueling just keep the nozzle in right position but no need
to keep it
upside down so far And I have used all kind of stations never big
problems

Antti

Old July 6th 04, 11:20 AM
Joe Ortiz

> No problems with fueling just keep the nozzle in right position but no need
> to keep it
> upside down so far And I have used all kind of stations never big
> problems
>
> Antti

No. I haven't had any problem either. I arrive at the garage, fill the
car with petrol and then pay vast amounts of money. No problem at
all...

Best regards

Joe
Old July 6th 04, 02:16 PM
MeatballTurbo

In article >, iowna156
@alfa.com says...
> I am getting the idea that there are 2 schools of re-fuelers. Those that
> insert the fuel hose and pump gas, and those who stuff the nozzle into the
> car and wander off while the tank is re-filled.

for petrol in the UK, we don't get no choice. Locking nozzles are
banned. You have to stand there with trigger held in for "Safety"
reasons.

I think it is because it stops fuel getting spilled if the vac/pressure
autocuttoff fails (I had that actually happen at a pump once, and ended
up with a petrol soaked shoe).
--
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
Old July 6th 04, 07:01 PM
Craig

I have this problem with my 164 and also with several other cars
including my previous Lancia. It does seem to be more of a problem at
some filling stations than others. I beleive it is in part due to the
increased delivery rate of modern pumps. The litre meter seems to
whirl round faster and faster every time a filling station is
refitted. I tend to only partly squeeze the trigger to slow the
delivery rate and also lift the hose slack so that there is less
hanging down the side of the car. I have tried the trick of turning
the nozzle sideways or upside down with varying degrees of success but
for me lifting the slack in the hose upwards seems to work well. I
have no idea why it should be so though.
Craig

Nord ignition problems Gordon Alfa Romeo 18 June 18th 04 02:16 PM
Warranty Problems Stirling Alfa Romeo 7 June 10th 04 09:47 PM
petrol prices Tom Alfa Romeo 5 June 2nd 04 09:45 PM
156 - Strong petrol smell after filling up MG Alfa Romeo 0 May 11th 04 11:55 AM
Tyre problems ... Frank Lenaerts Alfa Romeo 2 April 26th 04 06:16 PM