I Must be Getting Slow

Old August 16th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

Default I Must be Getting Slow

How are people doing 1:12's at the Canada track in the FIA 2005 rFactor
F1 mod? I've seen that online. I suppose there are probably people
doing 1:10's! Well, I'm stuck at around 1:18 at best. I had several
racecast world records in F3's, McLarens, etc., so I can drive OK.

Is this a setup deal? If it is, does anyone have a link to a fast
setup? It sure doesn't feel like I'm leaving six seconds on the table!

What are the real F1 lap times at that track?

Pat Dotson

Old August 16th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Emma Ward

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> How are people doing 1:12's at the Canada track in the FIA 2005 rFactor
> F1 mod? I've seen that online. I suppose there are probably people
> doing 1:10's! Well, I'm stuck at around 1:18 at best. I had several
> racecast world records in F3's, McLarens, etc., so I can drive OK.
>
> Is this a setup deal? If it is, does anyone have a link to a fast
> setup? It sure doesn't feel like I'm leaving six seconds on the table!
>
> What are the real F1 lap times at that track?
>
> Pat Dotson

For me I seem to lose the back end all the time,

Mainly under braking, and it's not down to brake bias !

Old August 16th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Chad Rogers

Pat,

There is plenty of cutting that takes place I am sure. It seems that there
is no out of bounds. Not to say that guys aren't fast, but the game issues
no warnings that I have seen.

Chad

Old August 16th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Chad Rogers

I agree that it's a great mod, I am not sure it's a viable online one
however. I am a sim veteran as you are and I find it damn hard to make good
laps over and over by myself let alone with other cars on the track. I
think for me this one will be reserved for the offline driving and being
amazed at how damn fast those cars really are.

Chad

ups.com...

Old August 16th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
IMac

On 16 Aug 2006 05:25:35 -0700, wrote:

>How are people doing 1:12's at the Canada track in the FIA 2005 rFactor
>F1 mod? I've seen that online. I suppose there are probably people
>doing 1:10's! Well, I'm stuck at around 1:18 at best. I had several
>racecast world records in F3's, McLarens, etc., so I can drive OK.
>
>Is this a setup deal? If it is, does anyone have a link to a fast
>setup? It sure doesn't feel like I'm leaving six seconds on the table!
>
>What are the real F1 lap times at that track?
>
>Pat Dotson

Well, that's a relief! If a veteran of Pat's experience and
reputation in the racesim world is noticing this too, then I don't
feel so bad!

Haven't spent too much time with the 2005 mod, but I'm definitely
confused with the laptimes I've noticed in the 1979 mod. I've been
running Monte Carlo in the Ferrari for the last week (and loving it!),
but my best lap is somewhere in the 1:33 range. Seen many folks on
RSC and online talking about times in the 1:24-1:25 range with a best
somewhere around 1:23. I've watched a replay of Greger Huttu's 1:23
lap and frankly, it doesn't look all that different to what I'm doing
with the same setup. Okay, perhaps he brakes a few metres later on
corner entry and gets on the throttle a few metres earlier on exit,
but I would think that that would only account for 3-4 seconds (at
most) over a single lap. While I'll never be mistaken for an alien, I
honestly didn't think I sucked enough to be 10 seconds a lap slower at
Monaco! As for Kyalami, my best laps are only about 3 seconds slower
than the real fast guys.

Montreal could be a question of corner-cutting, but given the nature
of the track I don't think it would be an issue at Monaco.

What about aids? Could the super fast lap times be down to the aids
being used? Personally, in the 1979 mod, I don't use any aids while
in the 2005 I'm using traction control only.

IMac
Old August 20th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

You flatter me IMac! Makes me feel good that some people still
remember my name from way back

If anyone is still following this thread, I found that you have to be
in the right car to run those low lap times. The McLaren or the
Renault seem to be fastest. I haven't been back to Montreal with one
of those cars yet, but I did run a 1:31 at Nuerburg where I was stuck
at 1:35's with a Ferrari.

At this point, I don't have much faith in the hotlap records posted on
racecast. It's way too easy to cut the track in rfactor right now.
Hope they do something about it!

Pat Dotson

Old August 20th 06, 09:37 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

Un#$%^ingbelievable. THIRD LAP at Montreal in a Renault I turned a
1:11.7. That lap should show up on racecast.

The WR rankings are pointless. All it depends on is how much you want
to cut the track. I have no interest in driving that way.

Fortunately, I'm not seeing much track cutting so far while racing
online.

So, to summarize, switch to a Renault, pump the boost up to 10, and
you'll pick up 6 to 8 seconds a lap.

Whew! I feel better

Pat Dotson

Old August 20th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David G Fisher

Montreal has a one section where you can cut to gain a lot of time
(chicane), but everyone is playing by the same rules so our laps are still
good IMO.

As for the other tracks that I've submitted times for with the CTDP F1 mod,
I know of no section where someone can cut to gain time. I have replays I
can send you of Nurburgring and Silverstone (Northamptonshire) where I don't
do any cutting and my times are at the top of the Racecast rankings.

The Nurburgring replay I have is the same one as the Racecast lap (127.539).
I don't have a replay of my Silverstone or Montreal Racecast hotlap. The
reason I don't have those two hotlaps is because I am having a big problem
with system reboots (10 the other night at a Racer event) when I leave the
track or the garage and enter the main screen. Hotlaps and session replays
are lost if the game crashes. You might remember me having this problem
during the Megane/Birmingham RACER race that we both participated in not too
long ago. They restarted the weekend for me when I was rebooted right before
the race start and we ended up with a lottery grid.

Luckily I do have my second quickest Silverstone online hotlap. It's just .1
slower than my current Racecast hotlap (118.539), and would still be good
for third place and not too far from the WR. When I have time I'll do
another session at Montreal.

I honestly can't think of anywhere someone might cut on those two tracks and
gain time. Barcelona is the next track I'll try, and I can't think where
someone would cut there either. My replays prove that at least at those two
F1 tracks, the fastest Racecast times are legit. Just let me know if you
want them sent to your e-mail address.

--
David G Fisher

ups.com...

Old August 23rd 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

David G Fisher wrote:
> Montreal has a one section where you can cut to gain a lot of time
> (chicane), but everyone is playing by the same rules so our laps are still
> good IMO.

They are 'good' laps according to the rules. No doubt about that. My
only point is that where in the past I've always felt compelled to try
and turn world record laps in sims, I don't have any interest in doing
that if it requires cutting the track. I can pop out a 1:12 lap at
will, but how rewarding is that? I can only do about a 1:15 flat right
now while running realistic lines in the corners.

By the way, you can also save time by cutting straight across the last
S-turn, right after the bridge. Just turn in early, barely missing the
bridge, and head straight across toward the exit of the turn.

> As for the other tracks that I've submitted times for with the CTDP F1 mod,
> I know of no section where someone can cut to gain time. I have replays I
> can send you of Nurburgring and Silverstone (Northamptonshire) where I don't
> do any cutting and my times are at the top of the Racecast rankings.

The other tracks do seem less likely to reward track cutting. I
haven't tried it at all, though.

I would like to see those replays. Send them to
.

Pat Dotson

A/C: freon additives and the slow leak les Technology 3 April 20th 06 06:08 PM
'05 slow throttle Richard Minami Ford Explorer 1 September 30th 05 04:54 AM
Noise at slow turns Ct Midnite BMW 2 June 1st 05 04:02 AM
Question for People Who Slow Down and "Let Them In" Usual Suspect Driving 43 February 24th 05 11:27 PM
Slow wiper 2.0L 01 Jetta auto [email protected] VW water cooled 6 February 6th 05 09:11 PM