Time for a New Acronym

Old January 15th 05, 03:33 PM
John C.

Default Time for a New Acronym

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> You on a freeway on-ramp. Ahead of you is a sloth merger, who is
> attempting to enter 70+ MPH freeway traffic at 55 MPH. You manage to
> merge in, but because the dolt in front of you is still going 55, you
> want to change lanes and pass him. Unfortunately, there is another
> dip**** in the lane to your left, who for some unknown reason has
> slowed down to match the speed of the sloth merger, thus boxing you in
> and preventing your lane change. You now have to slow down even more,
> forcing the sloth to your left to pass by you, and then change ;ans
> and punch it to get around the little tard before you get creamed by
> the oncoming traffic that's actually moving with the overall flow.
>
> This happens often enough that there ought to be an acronym for it.
> Duckling doesn't quite cover it, although there are many similarities
> in their behavior. Maybe they could be called the SS (for Sloth
> Sympathizers)?

Speaking of acronyms.
I've been lurking in the group for a little while, and have been baffled by
a few of them. Is there a FAQ or web page listing the various acronyms which
are frequently used here? I haven't seen a FAQ posted.

TIA for any guidance.
--
John C. <-- r.a.d. newbie

Old January 15th 05, 03:35 PM
TCS

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 04:22:57 -0800, Scott en Aztlán > wrote:
>You on a freeway on-ramp. Ahead of you is a sloth merger, who is
>attempting to enter 70+ MPH freeway traffic at 55 MPH. You manage to

Those are nothing. I have a real problem with the ones who enter at
less than 40mph. They're easy enough to deal with if you have enough
patience to let them get 6 car lengths ahead so you'll have room to
accelerate and get the hell around them.

>merge in, but because the dolt in front of you is still going 55, you
>want to change lanes and pass him. Unfortunately, there is another
>dip**** in the lane to your left, who for some unknown reason has
>slowed down to match the speed of the sloth merger, thus boxing you in
>and preventing your lane change. You now have to slow down even more,
>forcing the sloth to your left to pass by you, and then change ;ans
>and punch it to get around the little tard before you get creamed by
>the oncoming traffic that's actually moving with the overall flow.

>This happens often enough that there ought to be an acronym for it.
>Duckling doesn't quite cover it, although there are many similarities
>in their behavior. Maybe they could be called the SS (for Sloth
>Sympathizers)?

>Any other suggestions?

The usual. Idiots. Morons. Getthehellofftheroad.
Old January 15th 05, 03:35 PM
TCS

Old January 15th 05, 03:35 PM
Arif Khokar

John C. wrote:

> Speaking of acronyms.
> I've been lurking in the group for a little while, and have been baffled by
> a few of them. Is there a FAQ or web page listing the various acronyms which
> are frequently used here? I haven't seen a FAQ posted.

I don't believe that this group has a general FAQ. If you're not sure
what a given acronym means, then don't hesitate to ask
Old January 15th 05, 03:35 PM
Arif Khokar

Old January 15th 05, 03:53 PM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

If you were driving the speed limit, the problem wouldn't come up.
Next question.

Old January 15th 05, 03:53 PM

Old January 15th 05, 03:59 PM
TCS

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:33:12 GMT, John C. > wrote:

.. .

www.google.com
Old January 15th 05, 03:59 PM
TCS

Old January 15th 05, 04:00 PM
gpsman

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote: <brevity snip>
> You on a freeway on-ramp. Ahead of you is a sloth merger, who is
> attempting to enter 70+ MPH freeway traffic at 55 MPH. You manage to
> merge in, but because the dolt in front of you is still going 55, you
> want to change lanes and pass him. Unfortunately, there is another
> dip**** in the lane to your left, who for some unknown reason has
> slowed down to match the speed of the sloth merger, thus boxing you

in
> and preventing your lane change.

Building a space between yourself and the "sloth merger" long before
reaching the end of the ramp will eliminate the above situation.

Always hanging back a bit and accellerating hard later may not allow
you to attain your desired velocity at the end of the ramp but it will
increase your chances of making a smooth and more safe transition into
traffic by increasing the space both fore and aft around your vehicle.
-----

- gpsman