2005 caravan HVAC control replacement light bulbs

Old January 4th 11, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aemeijers

Default 2005 caravan HVAC control replacement light bulbs

Posting here because the Dodge groups seem to be basically abandoned.
2005 Caravan SXT HVAC control pod has 3 of the 4 light bulbs burned out.
Bulb is same size as a 74, but it is fastened into a base which is NOT
interchangeable with the PC74 bulbs the owners manual implied would fit.
Dealer says the bulbs are not available seperately- if they burn out,
apparently Chrysler will only sell you the whole assembly.

Anybody know a source for these bulbs? Or am I going to have to do
microsurgery and transplant generic 12v grain-of-wheat bulbs in there,
and hope I can bend the leads into the slots on the base correctly?

Talk about ****-poor engineering- there was plenty of room to use the
pc74 bulbs like the main instrument cluster uses, and those are easy to
find. But no, they had to use some weird specials that look very much
like the lights embedded in an old analog radio.

Only other option I can think of is to (when warm weather hits) start
cruising junkyards and harvesting bulbs from wrecks, and hope they work.

--
aem sends...
Old January 4th 11, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

aemeijers wrote:
> Posting here because the Dodge groups seem to be basically abandoned.
> 2005 Caravan SXT HVAC control pod has 3 of the 4 light bulbs burned out.
> Bulb is same size as a 74, but it is fastened into a base which is NOT
> interchangeable with the PC74 bulbs the owners manual implied would fit.
> Dealer says the bulbs are not available seperately- if they burn out,
> apparently Chrysler will only sell you the whole assembly.
>
> Anybody know a source for these bulbs? Or am I going to have to do
> microsurgery and transplant generic 12v grain-of-wheat bulbs in there,
> and hope I can bend the leads into the slots on the base correctly?
>
> Talk about ****-poor engineering- there was plenty of room to use the
> pc74 bulbs like the main instrument cluster uses, and those are easy to
> find. But no, they had to use some weird specials that look very much
> like the lights embedded in an old analog radio.
>
> Only other option I can think of is to (when warm weather hits) start
> cruising junkyards and harvesting bulbs from wrecks, and hope they work.

Just don't visit the yards near me, I hit them about every 3-4 weeks
just to get the oddball bulbs used in some of todays vehicles.

It's getting kind of hard when they use 3-4 different bulbs across a
dash panel just to keep the levels even...

--
Steve W.

300M cruise control light replacement Percival P. Cassidy[_2_] Chrysler 0 November 21st 08 02:26 PM
Bulbs in 200 Cirrus HVAC panel [email protected] Chrysler 4 March 2nd 07 11:15 PM
hvac control light itsa93sl1 Saturn 0 June 28th 06 02:40 AM
95 Civic Heater/AC Control Panel Light Replacement [email protected] Honda 1 January 12th 05 10:48 PM