Brake squeaking, aftermarket pads?

Old June 1st 05, 06:36 PM
Rich

Default Brake squeaking, aftermarket pads?

'02 Isuzu Axiom (similar to the Rodeo) and the front left brakes keep
squeaking. Sounds like this: Squeak <pause> squeak <pause> squeak.

It sounds like a bad spot on the rotor. Each time the rotor has been turned
the squeak went away for about 2 days. Its been turned twice. The pads are
factory and 80% or so. These pads are made of a metallic material.

Someone here recommended aftermarket pads but the Isuzu dealer said that
aftermarket pads would make the squeak louder, or would cause problems. Is
that possible?

And I tried some anti-squeak goo on the outsides of the pads, that didn't
help.

The dealer wants me to bring it back in tomorrow (I have spent $400 with
them and the squeak is still there). Should I just put some aftermarket pads
on or should I bring it back in to get taken for another ride $$$ ???

Old June 1st 05, 07:12 PM
Shep

First question is why do you continue to pay for their ineffective repairs,
second is this a known problem with this vehicle, what is the dealer saying,
it is there responsibility at this point to resolve this or refund your
money!

Old June 1st 05, 11:54 PM
Rich

First, the reason I keep taking it back is because they said "our work is
guaranteed". So I paid $400 and the front left is still squeaking, and I
expect them to do something or give my money back.

Second, it is not a known problem with this vehicle. The dealer is saying
that this is normal with metallic pads. Funny it is only on the front left.
That sounds abnormal to me. I don't hear other Axioms squeaking like this.

Third, I agree, I think they should fix the squeaking or give me back my
$400. But I'm thinking this could be something serious and costly. Nothing
is funny with the caliper, the pads look good, but every week the rotor
needs to be turned again. I'm not going to have a rotor if this keeps up.

"Shep" > wrote in message
> First question is why do you continue to pay for their ineffective

repairs,
> second is this a known problem with this vehicle, what is the dealer

saying,
> it is there responsibility at this point to resolve this or refund your
> money!
> "Rich" > wrote in message
> > '02 Isuzu Axiom (similar to the Rodeo) and the front left brakes keep
> > squeaking. Sounds like this: Squeak <pause> squeak <pause> squeak.
> >
> > It sounds like a bad spot on the rotor. Each time the rotor has been
> > turned
> > the squeak went away for about 2 days. Its been turned twice. The pads

are
> > factory and 80% or so. These pads are made of a metallic material.
> >
> > Someone here recommended aftermarket pads but the Isuzu dealer said that
> > aftermarket pads would make the squeak louder, or would cause problems.

Is
> > that possible?
> >
> > And I tried some anti-squeak goo on the outsides of the pads, that

didn't
> > help.
> >
> > The dealer wants me to bring it back in tomorrow (I have spent $400 with
> > them and the squeak is still there). Should I just put some aftermarket
> > pads
> > on or should I bring it back in to get taken for another ride $$$ ???

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Old June 2nd 05, 12:27 AM
Steve Cook

Brake squeaking, aftermarket pads?

Group: rec.autos.tech Date: Wed, Jun 1, 2005, 3:54pm (CDT-2) From:
lid (Rich)
"Rich" > wrote in message
[...]
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms -
Total Privacy via Encryption =----

They turned your rotors and it went away for a few days? Sounds to me
like our pads are glazed and kepp warping the rotors...
S Cook

Old June 2nd 05, 03:41 AM
fweddybear

"Steve Cook" > wrote in message

> Brake squeaking, aftermarket pads?
>
> Group: rec.autos.tech Date: Wed, Jun 1, 2005, 3:54pm (CDT-2) From:
> lid (Rich)
> First, the reason I keep taking it back is because they said "our work
> is guaranteed". So I paid $400 and the front left is still squeaking,
> and I expect them to do something or give my money back.
> Second, it is not a known problem with this vehicle. The dealer is
> saying that this is normal with metallic pads. Funny it is only on the
> front left. That sounds abnormal to me. I don't hear other Axioms
> squeaking like this.
> Third, I agree, I think they should fix the squeaking or give me back my
> $400. But I'm thinking this could be something serious and costly.
> Nothing is funny with the caliper, the pads look good, but every week
> the rotor needs to be turned again. I'm not going to have a rotor if
> this keeps up.
> "Shep" > wrote in message
> First question is why do you continue to pay for their ineffective
> repairs, second is this a known problem with this vehicle, what is the
> dealer saying, it is there responsibility at this point to resolve this
> or refund your money!
> "Rich" > wrote in message
> '02 Isuzu Axiom (similar to the Rodeo) and the front left brakes keep
> squeaking. Sounds like this: Squeak <pause> squeak <pause> squeak.
> It sounds like a bad spot on the rotor. Each time the rotor has been
> turned
> the squeak went away for about 2 days. Its been turned twice. The pads
> are factory and 80% or so. These pads are made of a metallic material.
> Someone here recommended aftermarket pads but the Isuzu dealer said that
> aftermarket pads would make the squeak louder, or would cause problems.
> Is that possible?
> And I tried some anti-squeak goo on the outsides of the pads, that
> didn't help.
> The dealer wants me to bring it back in tomorrow (I have spent $400 with
> them and the squeak is still there). Should I just put some aftermarket
> pads
> on or should I bring it back in to get taken for another ride $$$ ???
> News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
> World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms -
> Total Privacy via Encryption =----
>
> They turned your rotors and it went away for a few days? Sounds to me
> like our pads are glazed and kepp warping the rotors...
> S Cook

it may very well be a problem with the metallic brake pads... why dont
yo uhave the dealer put in a differnt type of brake pad?? that will take
care of the squeaking problem...

Fwed

Old June 2nd 05, 03:38 PM
Arthur Dent

Look here, might have some relevant info-

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf100326.htm

Old June 2nd 05, 08:02 PM

"Arthur Dent" > wrote in message
> Look here, might have some relevant info-

Interesting and informative, but I would never again let someone use an
impact wrench on
my rotors.

The only two times I have had rotor wobble it has been due to warpage, and
came soon after
tire rotation where I allowed Discount Tire in Houston to use their special
impact system, followed by a manual torqueing.

Two out of two is too much.

Old June 3rd 05, 04:34 AM

The torque stix did me in on two occasions, Ian.
Actually, in the last instance I stood at a distance and watched the
technician who rotated the
tires run up the nuts with the impact wrench and then apply the manual
torque wrench.

I thought that this would be a safe way to do it. Not so, unfortunately.
I will have to have the disks machined now to get them planar again. I ran
for two years since
the last impacting (followed by truing the rotors) with never a hint of
wobble.

But I agree, this was a good writeup.