Fuel Problem

Old February 3rd 05, 05:17 PM
Randall Brink

Default Fuel Problem

My 1970 Type 1 has suddenly developed a low power, rough-idle problem.

It is equipped with a factory new 1600cc engine, 34 PICT3 carb. The fuel
filter bowl between the fuel pump and the carb only fills to about 1/4 full
on engine start. When attempting to drive the car, the power is now very
weak, and and halting on acceleration. After stopping, the fuel filter bowl
is frequently entirely empty. There are bubbles rising through the line from
the fuel pump; however, i could find no leaks in the line, no fule smell,
etc. I have switched fuel pumps, to no avail. It just seems that the engine
is not getting fuel.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Old February 3rd 05, 07:23 PM
Randall Brink

Thanks for the swift reply.

Can you tell me what might cause the low-fuel-in-filter-bowl issue, along
with the bubbles in the line running through the filter?

Old February 3rd 05, 07:33 PM
Billy Bad Assr©

Old February 3rd 05, 07:54 PM
Tom Malmevik

Randall Brink wrote:

> Thanks for the swift reply.
>
> Can you tell me what might cause the low-fuel-in-filter-bowl issue,
> along with the bubbles in the line running through the filter?

First thing you want to do is get rid of the fuel filter between the
pump and the carb. You are inviting an engine fire. The hose will slip
off the carb when you least expect it. Secnd, the next time that
happens, open the gas cap and see if you hear a "whoosh" of air. It
could be that the tank vent is not working. While you are taking off
the fuel filter, have someone turn it over with the new fuel line in a
can and see how much flow you have. The tune up and valve adjustment
is always a great Idea. You should always adjust the valves as required
in the Manual. You do have one, right?

the Grokdoc
Tom Malmevik
all that groks is god
67 Baja marti
Old February 3rd 05, 08:03 PM
Billy Bad Assr©

> Thanks for the swift reply.

>smile<
>
> Can you tell me what might cause the low-fuel-in-filter-bowl issue, along
> with the bubbles in the line running through the filter?

How do you know that the bowls are not filling up?

1st thing is to check the carburetor jets/accelerator pump function - you will
need to look down the throat of the carb >Engine Off< You may require the use of
a friend, a mirror and a flashlight. If no helper available! Remove the hood so
that you can see down the throat of the carb. Now apply the throttle - at the
very same time look down the throat of the carb -- you should see a thin stream
of fuel -- if you do see a nice thin stream >> carburetors Idle valve is more
than likely the culprit to your dismay.

Bubbles in the fuel line is not an issue with carb based vw's - fuel filter
should be less than half full when working properly - a faulty filter will fill
up with fuel!

BBA

Old February 3rd 05, 08:05 PM
Randall Brink

I'm doing the tune-up as this is written--thanks again for the advice. I use
both the Bentley and Muir manuals.

I'll eliminate the fuel filter immediately--makes perfect sense. There is
already an inline filter just after the tank outlet.

I did the fuel cap check and there appears to be no problem with the tank
vent.

I'm also going to run some solvent throught the hard fuel line in the body
channel to see if the line is clogged with varnish--the car was stored for
some years.

Thanks again!

Randall Brink

Old February 3rd 05, 08:49 PM
Speedy Jim

Randall Brink wrote:

> My 1970 Type 1 has suddenly developed a low power, rough-idle problem.
>
> It is equipped with a factory new 1600cc engine, 34 PICT3 carb. The fuel
> filter bowl between the fuel pump and the carb only fills to about 1/4 full
> on engine start. When attempting to drive the car, the power is now very
> weak, and and halting on acceleration. After stopping, the fuel filter bowl
> is frequently entirely empty. There are bubbles rising through the line from
> the fuel pump; however, i could find no leaks in the line, no fule smell,
> etc. I have switched fuel pumps, to no avail. It just seems that the engine
> is not getting fuel.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated!

This does not sound like a fuel problem to me at all.

The bubbles in the filter don;'t mean anything, but it's still
a good idea to get rid of the filter in that location.

I would begin looking at the ignition. Points gap. Weak spark.
Initial timing. Amount of advance. Hi-voltage breakdown of
coil, cap, rotor, even wires.
The fact that this condition came on suddenly suggests an electrical
failure, rather than something mechanical.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old February 4th 05, 12:05 AM
Randall Brink

Thanks to all! I implemented the procedures and took the advice offered here
today, and my bug is now running sweeter than ever since the installation of
the new engine.

As a bonus I also was told to eliminate the fuel filter between fuel pump
and carb, possibly obviating a catstrophic fire!

Again, many thanks for all the help.

Randall Brink

Old February 13th 05, 12:17 PM
bill gratchic

Air in the fuel?
sounds like a bad fuel line somehwere. Otherwise, check your fuel pump.
Clean the internal screen and have the pump tested for proper psi. Bet that
pump is the culprit. Good thing it is cheap, unlike a fuel injected pump.
Bill
"Randall Brink" > wrote in message
> My 1970 Type 1 has suddenly developed a low power, rough-idle problem.
>
> It is equipped with a factory new 1600cc engine, 34 PICT3 carb. The fuel
> filter bowl between the fuel pump and the carb only fills to about 1/4

full
> on engine start. When attempting to drive the car, the power is now very
> weak, and and halting on acceleration. After stopping, the fuel filter

bowl
> is frequently entirely empty. There are bubbles rising through the line

from
> the fuel pump; however, i could find no leaks in the line, no fule smell,
> etc. I have switched fuel pumps, to no avail. It just seems that the

engine
> is not getting fuel.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Failed Smog Check 1981 Trans AM TheSmogTech Technology 0 January 30th 05 04:16 PM
Fuel supply problem Major Tom Corvette 0 January 4th 05 03:31 AM
'99 Explorer Fuel pressure problem Tim South Ford Explorer 2 December 20th 04 05:49 PM