95 Saturn overheat question

Old July 15th 05, 12:47 PM
Shawn

Default 95 Saturn overheat question

I let my Saturns temp guage go up to three quarters to see if the fan would
cut in. It took a while, but it did. I shut off the car before it was
finished cooling down. When I got out, there was coolant all over the
ground.

I opened the hood, it it looks like it came from up around the reservoir.
What caused this, and is this normal?

Old July 15th 05, 12:58 PM
Bob Shuman

This depends on what transpired prior to the procedure you described. If
you just topped off the coolant in the reservoir tank to the top, then, yes,
what you describe is absolutely normal and to be expected. If you did not
add any coolant, then you may have a problem.

As the coolant heats up, it expands, and at a certain pressure, is forced
into the overflow reservoir. This is its primary purpose. As such, there
are usually two lines on the tank: one that says "full cold" and another
that says "full hot". When cold, do not overfill past the lower mark to
give room for expansion.

If there is a problem, I'd try replacing the thermostat first. You may also
want to buy a good radiator cleaner and run that through as well following
all instructions, including the final rinse cycle with fresh water.

Good luck. It sounds like the sensors and fan are operating properly,

Bob