1990 Honda accord doesn't start when hot

Old October 12th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Ivan[_6_]

Default 1990 Honda accord doesn't start when hot

My old 1990 honda accord got a problem again. This baby can't be
started after I drive it for a while, it can be jumped up. If I leave
it alone for a couple of hours, it can be started again. Also the gas
gauge (or meter) is telling the wrong thing. I drove it to dead for
several times. I guess the gas meter is probably the gas sensor being
bad. The start problem might be a bad battery or bad main relay. I am
not really sure what exactly the problem is. Any body has the similar
problem? Does the battery quit when hot?

Old October 12th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Ivan wrote:
> My old 1990 honda accord got a problem again. This baby can't be
> started after I drive it for a while, it can be jumped up. If I leave
> it alone for a couple of hours, it can be started again. Also the gas
> gauge (or meter) is telling the wrong thing. I drove it to dead for
> several times. I guess the gas meter is probably the gas sensor being
> bad. The start problem might be a bad battery or bad main relay. I am
> not really sure what exactly the problem is. Any body has the similar
> problem? Does the battery quit when hot?

Yeah that's the sympton of the bad main relay civic/accord around
1990 model. The advice in this forum is resoldering the main relay. I
did that and I bought extra main relay.
In case one main relay not working I switch to other. That stop the
main relay problem but my starting problem did continue. NOt by the
main relay but by the ignition starting relay.
I was lucky to discover the faulty on ignition starting relay was
causing the starting problem. The sympton is just like the main relay
problem. I uninstalled ignition starting relay wire.
Now my car starting problem is basically gone....Check out your
ignition starting relay
wire if you have that...

Old October 13th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Ivan[_6_]

Thanks, guys. I am going to check both main relay and ignition relay.

Ivan

Old October 13th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

Ivan wrote:

> Thanks, guys. I am going to check both main relay and ignition relay.

Here's the fast way to tell what's wrong:
Car won't start. Turn key off, then on to position II. No fuel pump
noise. Open and slam driver's door (or smack dash on left of steering
wheel). Fuel pump is heard running two seconds. Try starter. If it
starts you need to resolder the Main relay.

You can use this trick to drive your car until you get around to
resoldering the relay. It will stay running because of the vibration.

'Curly'