Cleaning carburetors

Old October 13th 04, 05:23 AM
rudyeb

Default Cleaning carburetors

What is the most effective way to clean a carburetor for a do-it-yourselfer?
Is there one cleaner out there to soak a unit in that stands out above the
rest?
Thank you

Old October 13th 04, 11:55 AM
Leon Corley

I've always used Berryman's Chem-Dip.
It's expensive, poisonous, and it works.

regards,
Leon

Old October 13th 04, 02:57 PM
dreas

"rudyeb" > wrote in message
> What is the most effective way to clean a carburetor for a

do-it-yourselfer?
> Is there one cleaner out there to soak a unit in that stands out above the
> rest?

I used a de-greaser called "Dunk." It got rid of all the varnish, dirt, and
grease when carburetor parts were immersed for just a few minutes...

I also used rubber gloves.

-'dreas

Old October 13th 04, 03:39 PM
Jack Pucci

I used to spray Marvel Mystery oil in the carb with the car running twice a
year never had any carb trouble

Old October 13th 04, 10:26 PM
Bob Paulin

Jack Pucci > wrote in article
> I used to spray Marvel Mystery oil in the carb with the car running twice

> year never had any carb trouble

The reason you never had carburetor problems has nothing to do with your
MMO treatments. The MMO never reached any of the carburetor's circuits.

You probably never had troubles with your windshield wipers, either. Do you
attribute that to your MMO treatments also?

Dumping it in the air horn simply dumps it into the intake manifold.

It doesn't circulate anywhere in any of the carburetor circuits.

You would need to pour the MMO into your fuel supply (gas tank) to have it
circulate through the carburetor circuits.

--
Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E.
Race Car Chassis Analysis & Setup Services
Old October 14th 04, 03:09 PM
dreas

"Jack Pucci" > wrote in message
> I used to spray Marvel Mystery oil in the carb with the car running twice

> year never had any carb trouble

I take it you never bought an old car whose previous owner was not as good
at carburetor maintenance as you [especially if it spent the last few years
sitting under a tarp in a garage or car port...]

-'dreas

Old October 14th 04, 09:19 PM
Bob Paulin

Robin Banks > wrote in article
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:26:33 -0500, "Bob Paulin" > wrote:
>
> > Jack Pucci > wrote in article
> > > I used to spray Marvel Mystery oil in the carb with the car running

twice
> > > year never had any carb trouble

> > The reason you never had carburetor problems has nothing to do with

your
> > MMO treatments. The MMO never reached any of the carburetor's circuits.
> >
> > You probably never had troubles with your windshield wipers, either. Do

you
> > attribute that to your MMO treatments also?

> No Bob, no need to get mean to him about it. There's enough mean out

here in
> Usenet. It'd be nice if us car heads could get along nicer.

What would REALLY be nice is if some of these "Carheads" stopped
perpetuating old wives tales and utter nonsense for the
less-than-knowledgeable people to read and believe.......who then try and
convince their professional service people that the professionals don't
know what they're talking about because, "....This guy on the Internet
says.......all I have to do is dump MMO down my carburetor, and you're
screwing me by trying to charge me for a carburetor rebuild."

Old October 15th 04, 02:39 AM
The Guy

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:23:21 -0400, rudyeb wrote:

> What is the most effective way to clean a carburetor for a do-it-yourselfer?
> Is there one cleaner out there to soak a unit in that stands out above the
> rest?
> Thank you

I use lacquer thinner with good results. It cleans well without leaving a
residue of its own.

Tim
Old October 15th 04, 08:59 PM
Bob Paulin

Robin Banks > wrote in article

> Why do you say "Carheads" like that, as if said with contempt?

Geez....I was just quoting you.....

Are you THAT paranoid????

Or are you simply trying to pick a fight because I am "rude" in your
estimation????

> Explaining to the original poster (without being rude) would have been a
> perfect chance to educate, but most people will shut down once things get
> rude.
>

> ~~R.Banks

A6 2.5TDI Smoking + ultrasonically cleaning injectors AstraVanMan Audi 22 October 13th 04 08:06 PM
cleaning interior NC Alfa Romeo 0 July 17th 04 08:58 AM
Cleaning White Wall Tires Joe Hudon Antique cars 2 May 27th 04 06:21 AM
engine cleaning additive Jack Izer Dodge 1 April 16th 04 09:25 PM
CORVAIR CARBURETORS CHEAP Kfabn Antique cars 0 January 17th 04 04:12 AM