Most automobiles are made of CHEAP materials !!!!!

Old December 14th 04, 11:45 PM
Bruno Beam

Default Most automobiles are made of CHEAP materials !!!!!

The automobile companies are a bunch of gangsters who want that the
automobiles die after a few years.

Oldtimers are much more reliable than all the modern rubbish which is
made of cheap plastics !
Old December 14th 04, 11:53 PM
James C. Reeves

"Bruno Beam" > wrote in message
om...
> The automobile companies are a bunch of gangsters who want that the
> automobiles die after a few years.
>
> Oldtimers are much more reliable than all the modern rubbish which is
> made of cheap plastics !

You must be Rip-Van-Winkle and just woke up. Autos have been made with
plastics for decades. As for longevity, I haven't seen any real issue with
recent vehicles. I drove 1960's autos as far as 167,000 miles and I have
driven late 80's vehicles nearly as far. The era of US manufacturers that
seemed to have the most problems with breakdowns is the era between the mid
'70's and the early '80's. Vehicles seem to be very reliable today (based
on 30+ years of driving 4-decades worth of vehicles).

Old December 15th 04, 03:46 AM
Kathy and Erich Coiner

"TeGGer®" > wrote in message
.. .
> "James C. Reeves" > floridly penned in
> :
>
>> He's a young boy, a student at The Woodlands Christian Academy in The

> Woodlands, Texas. He must be bored with his studies and is taking a short
> diversion.
>
> He's posting through mail.twca.net, which is 216.63.70.130, so he's
> probably in residence there or otherwise has access to TWCA's SMTP server.
>
> Good thing you didn't swear or blaspheme the Lord here, my boy. Otherwise
> I'd report you.
>
> Now, back to your books!
>
> --
> TeGGeR®

I love it, Bruno just got owned!

He spewed a bunch of similar drivel on the Mustang ng.

I am reminded of a line from Toy Story.

Bruno, "You are a sad, strange little man. You have my pity"

Erich

Old December 15th 04, 11:25 PM
Steve

James C. Reeves wrote:

> "Bruno Beam" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>The automobile companies are a bunch of gangsters who want that the
>>automobiles die after a few years.
>>
>>Oldtimers are much more reliable than all the modern rubbish which is
>>made of cheap plastics !

> You must be Rip-Van-Winkle and just woke up. Autos have been made with
> plastics for decades. As for longevity, I haven't seen any real issue with
> recent vehicles. I drove 1960's autos as far as 167,000 miles and I have
> driven late 80's vehicles nearly as far. The era of US manufacturers that
> seemed to have the most problems with breakdowns is the era between the mid
> '70's and the early '80's. Vehicles seem to be very reliable today (based
> on 30+ years of driving 4-decades worth of vehicles).

I agree, up to a point. Modern vehicles are quite reliable, but compared
to cars built up through ~1973 they are not long lived.

In 50-75 years, there will still be driveable Packards from the 40s,
Duesenbergs from the 30s, Model T's from the 20s, Cadillacs and Chrysler
300s from the 50s, and Roadrunners, Barracudas, Torinos, Mustangs, and
GTOs from the 60s left in the world. There may be no fuel for them, but
they'll still run on some substitute, at least for car shows.

There aren't gonna be any Civics, Mazda 6s, Camrys, Siennas, Odysseys
Intrepids, Magnums, Malibus, Ford 500s, or PT Cruisers. And precious few
Trans Ams or Camaros made after 1980, C6 Corvettes, and Vipers.

Old December 16th 04, 12:35 AM
James C. Reeves

"Steve" > wrote in message
> James C. Reeves wrote:
>
>> "Bruno Beam" > wrote in message
>> om...
>>
>>>The automobile companies are a bunch of gangsters who want that the
>>>automobiles die after a few years.
>>>
>>>Oldtimers are much more reliable than all the modern rubbish which is
>>>made of cheap plastics !

>> You must be Rip-Van-Winkle and just woke up. Autos have been made with
>> plastics for decades. As for longevity, I haven't seen any real issue
>> with recent vehicles. I drove 1960's autos as far as 167,000 miles and I
>> have driven late 80's vehicles nearly as far. The era of US
>> manufacturers that seemed to have the most problems with breakdowns is
>> the era between the mid '70's and the early '80's. Vehicles seem to be
>> very reliable today (based on 30+ years of driving 4-decades worth of
>> vehicles).
>>

> I agree, up to a point. Modern vehicles are quite reliable, but compared
> to cars built up through ~1973 they are not long lived.
>
> In 50-75 years, there will still be driveable Packards from the 40s,
> Duesenbergs from the 30s, Model T's from the 20s, Cadillacs and Chrysler
> 300s from the 50s, and Roadrunners, Barracudas, Torinos, Mustangs, and
> GTOs from the 60s left in the world. There may be no fuel for them, but
> they'll still run on some substitute, at least for car shows.
>
> There aren't gonna be any Civics, Mazda 6s, Camrys, Siennas, Odysseys
> Intrepids, Magnums, Malibus, Ford 500s, or PT Cruisers. And precious few
> Trans Ams or Camaros made after 1980, C6 Corvettes, and Vipers.

I guess we won't know for sure for another 30-40 years. Personally I think
that a car enthenuast can keep just about anything in good working order, if
they have the passion to do so. So, my gut feeling is that there will be
some of today's cars still running 40 years from now.

Now, if they ever open up Cuba, we will have a flood of 50's vintage cars
available

Old December 16th 04, 01:11 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Steve wrote:

> In 50-75 years, there will still be driveable Packards from the 40s,
> Duesenbergs from the 30s, Model T's from the 20s, Cadillacs and Chrysler
> 300s from the 50s, and Roadrunners, Barracudas, Torinos, Mustangs, and
> GTOs from the 60s left in the world.

....Valiants and Darts...

Old December 16th 04, 01:34 AM
Bob

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Steve wrote:
>
>> In 50-75 years, there will still be driveable Packards from the 40s,
>> Duesenbergs from the 30s, Model T's from the 20s, Cadillacs and Chrysler
>> 300s from the 50s, and Roadrunners, Barracudas, Torinos, Mustangs, and
>> GTOs from the 60s left in the world.

> ...Valiants and Darts...

If you put those on the list you may as well put Pintos and Vegas on it too,
or maybe AMC's Pacer.
Bob

Old December 16th 04, 01:42 AM
Nate Nagel

Bob wrote:

> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
> n.umich.edu...
>
>>On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Steve wrote:
>>

>>>In 50-75 years, there will still be driveable Packards from the 40s,
>>>Duesenbergs from the 30s, Model T's from the 20s, Cadillacs and Chrysler
>>>300s from the 50s, and Roadrunners, Barracudas, Torinos, Mustangs, and
>>>GTOs from the 60s left in the world.

>>...Valiants and Darts...
>>

> If you put those on the list you may as well put Pintos and Vegas on it too,
> or maybe AMC's Pacer.
> Bob

Pintos and Pacers maybe, but the Vega (except for the Cosworth version)
was a notoriously unreliable POS.

Of course, a Valiant or Dart is a nice enough car that it may be worth
keeping alive, while a Pinto is... well... a Pinto, and a Pacer, while a
good car, is a hideously ugly piece of sheetmetal. I suspect all will
die of attrition eventually, being low-end economy cars.

I'd add Studebaker to the list, but they rust faster than FIATs... Any
that are still in daily driver service anywhere but Arizona are running
on borrowed time.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old December 16th 04, 03:23 AM
Nate Nagel

TeGGer® wrote:

> "James C. Reeves" > floridly penned in
> :
>

>>I guess we won't know for sure for another 30-40 years. Personally I
>>think that a car enthenuast can keep just about anything in good
>>working order, if they have the passion to do so. So, my gut feeling
>>is that there will be some of today's cars still running 40 years from
>>now.

> Sure there will. And just like any other era, it will be the desirable
> cars, regardless of affinity to rust, that will be saved.
>
> My problem is modern plastic interiors. How do you restore those?
>

>>Now, if they ever open up Cuba, we will have a flood of 50's vintage
>>cars available
>>

> Yeah, most of them badly battered and with Russian UAZ diesel engines and
> drivetrains. How easy is it to find new valves for a 1955 Packard engine in
> Cuba?

On a Packard, the oil pump and subsequently the bearings is the first
thing to go. But I do get your point.

nate