01 Jetta VR6 Odometer Scrambling?

Old November 7th 04, 03:35 AM
Nedeltcho Vladimirov

Default 01 Jetta VR6 Odometer Scrambling?

I have an eye on one 01 Jetta VR6 that have suspiciously low miles. My
question is: Is it possible the odometer to be scrambled? I mean it is
electronic and it can not be rewind, I know, but is there any other ways now
to turn it back? Or may be to stop the reading for an year or so and then
again to be fixed. Does any one know how can I check that?
Please replay to this post or e-mail me to

Thank you!

Ned

Old November 7th 04, 12:19 PM
Woodchuck

Only 2 ways I know of

1-replace the cluster and program the miles less than what was on the old
cluster.
2-run around with the speed sensor unplugged, but then the mil/cel would
have been on.

ink.net...

Old November 7th 04, 03:21 PM
wkearney99

> I have an eye on one 01 Jetta VR6 that have suspiciously low miles. My
> question is: Is it possible the odometer to be scrambled?

One thought to consider is checking the VIN with the local department of
motor vehicles. If the car is being resold by someone that's not the
original owner this can be a way to get the real story. I once looked at a
car that was likewise suspiciously low on mileage given it's age. I checked
the VIN with the MD MVA and found the original owner. She was quite
surprised to hear the car she'd sold with 132k miles on it was being now
sold with only 42k miles. The local police were quite good at handling the
crime.

So get the VIN and visit a local MVA office to inquire of it's title record.
It might actually just be a good deal. Or it might be a chance for you to
do your civic duty and keep someone else from getting screwed on the deal.

-Bill Kearney

Old November 7th 04, 04:15 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article . net>,
Nedeltcho Vladimirov > wrote:
>I have an eye on one 01 Jetta VR6 that have suspiciously low miles. My
>question is: Is it possible the odometer to be scrambled? I mean it is
>electronic and it can not be rewind, I know, but is there any other ways now
>to turn it back?

Yes, install a new cluster.

How suspicious do the maintenance records look? (If there are none,
assume that the car is high risk and the warranty will not be honored.)

Title history from the DMV (or a title history search service) may give
some clue. The warranty and recall history should be findable from the
VIN at a VW dealer (for a 2001 in the US, the 5000, 10000, and 20000 mile
services, and the first brake fluid change at 2 years were free under the
warranty).

If the mileage is lower than the typical lifetime of the OEM tires, it may
be suspicious if the tires are not the ones that came with the car (check
the tire's make, model, and date code).

And even if low mileage is genuine, it could have been hard city miles,
or a car that spent a lot of time sitting around without being driven.

Timothy J. Lee
Old November 7th 04, 06:44 PM
Matt B.

"Timothy J. Lee" > wrote in message
> In article . net>,
> Nedeltcho Vladimirov > wrote:
>>I have an eye on one 01 Jetta VR6 that have suspiciously low miles. My
>>question is: Is it possible the odometer to be scrambled? I mean it is
>>electronic and it can not be rewind, I know, but is there any other ways
>>now
>>to turn it back?

> Yes, install a new cluster.
>
> How suspicious do the maintenance records look? (If there are none,
> assume that the car is high risk and the warranty will not be honored.)
>
> Title history from the DMV (or a title history search service) may give
> some clue. The warranty and recall history should be findable from the
> VIN at a VW dealer (for a 2001 in the US, the 5000, 10000, and 20000 mile
> services, and the first brake fluid change at 2 years were free under the
> warranty).

Also try carfax.com. It's not infallible but for $20 it helps. The VIN
thing from a dealer also gives insight too. If at any time the car's
mileage reads higher from carfax.com or from the dealer's service history
(if any), it's been rolled back. Otherwise,you can kinda figure if the
current mileage is reasonable for the car based on its history.

Old November 7th 04, 07:46 PM
Woodchuck

It's called title washing! A owner in state "A" sells car to someone in
state "B" and car gets a title for state "B" with reported lower mileage. A
used cluster or a new one which has had the miles programmed at a lower
valve is then installed. Clusters can only be programmed 1 time and only up
too 100 miles. When a car in brought back into our state the VIN and miles
must be verified by a inspection mechanic. So all the dirty work is done out
of state. Yes it can happen, but the dealer can enter the VIN and see all
the warranty work done on the car since new which includes mileage and dates
repairs were done.