Is AAA better than a credit card's roadside assistance?

Old May 23rd 05, 02:23 AM

Default Is AAA better than a credit card's roadside assistance?

wrote:

> I'm wondering if it is worth it to buy a AAA membership for the roadside
> assistance. I have a Citibank Mastercard, and they have something called
> "MC ASSIST", which provides just about the same services that AAA offers --
> jump-starts, towing, gas delivery, and tire changes (not sure if they offer
> locksmithing).
>
> So has anyone ever relied on their credit card's roadside assistance? Is it
> as good as AAA's? If my credit card's is as good as AAA's, then there's no
> reason for me to pay an extra $60/year for a AAA membership.
>
> Thanks.

Most cellular plans offer roadside assistance for about $3 a month
and will bring you gas, get you back into a locked car, change
a flat tire and tow you. It's a great deal if you ever need it.

KM
Old May 23rd 05, 09:34 PM
Steven M. Scharf

C. Massey wrote:

> We have roadside assistance on both cell phones. So far, I haven't used it,
> but my wife had a flat changed once when I couldn't get to her. It was well
> worth the money knowing that she was being taken care of.

$3 per month, per phone, is $72 per year for two people, not much less
than an AAA membership, but at least it follows the cell phone (not even
the cell phone owner, anyone with the phone).

I checked out how much extra roadside assistance would be on our auto
insurance policy, and it would have cost us about $36 per year, and it
it's only good for the policy holder in the insured vehicle.

While AAA's politics suck, it is a good service. The discounts on
admissions to various places also mitigate the cost.

Old May 23rd 05, 11:54 PM
David L

So, it sounds like the ability to get a tow is going to be only as good
as your cell phone reception.
Isn't there me stipulation that you have to call from the cellphone? IS
there a 800 number to use from a payphone?

That's going to be real useful on vacation, when your car breaks down
in the mountains and you only have a no signal GSM or all digital
phone.

-
David

Old May 24th 05, 06:30 AM
The Real Bev

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote:

> C. Massey wrote:
>
> > We have roadside assistance on both cell phones. So far, I haven't used it,
> > but my wife had a flat changed once when I couldn't get to her. It was well
> > worth the money knowing that she was being taken care of.

> $3 per month, per phone, is $72 per year for two people, not much less
> than an AAA membership, but at least it follows the cell phone (not even
> the cell phone owner, anyone with the phone).
>
> I checked out how much extra roadside assistance would be on our auto
> insurance policy, and it would have cost us about $36 per year, and it
> it's only good for the policy holder in the insured vehicle.
>
> While AAA's politics suck, it is a good service. The discounts on
> admissions to various places also mitigate the cost.

I almost convinced our son to join because he's taking his family to
Disneyland this Thursday, but The Happiest Place On Earth doesn't seem to give
AAA discounts any more.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old May 24th 05, 02:10 PM
Bill

The Real Bev wrote:

> I almost convinced our son to join because he's taking his family to
> Disneyland this Thursday, but The Happiest Place On Earth doesn't seem to give
> AAA discounts any more.

When I last used the AAA discount at Disneyland, I discovered
that you had to buy tickets in advance at a local AAA office.
This was a few years ago, so obviously things may have changed.

Bill
Old May 24th 05, 07:33 PM
Tracey

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> I almost convinced our son to join because he's taking his family to
> Disneyland this Thursday, but The Happiest Place On Earth doesn't seem to

give
> AAA discounts any more.

I believe they still have priority parking. Show your AAA card and you can
park in the lot closest to the handicapped lot (shorter tram ride into the
park). At least it used to be that way.

I also think that when we were there 1 1/2 years ago I got a 10% discount on
food at one of the restaurants in the park. You have to always ask if they
offer a discount, it is often not advertised at all, and they never ask for
the card.