Bicyclists - Best way to punish drivers who endanger you

Old February 21st 05, 03:01 AM

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> On 20 Feb 2005 18:23:29 -0800, wrote:
>
> >In any case, the people I know who bike to work do not have this
> >problem, and I know I don't. If I did, my brutally honest wife

would
> >let me know - and she has checked, I assure you.

> So you're telling me you ride your bike to work, get all hot and
> sweaty, and then don't shower before sitting down at your desk?

I ride my bike to work. I ride easy - which for me, is anything below
a 20 mph pace. I've got a couple short, steep climbs in the last mile
or two, so I'll have a little perspiration when I arrive, but even in
the summer, it's seldom a problem. If I'm arriving late (say, noon) on
a hot humid day, I'll cool down in front of a fan for five or ten
minutes, and perhaps have a fresh undershirt to use.

I teach college. I know at least a dozen professors and staff members
who regularly ride in. AFAIK, none have need of a shower when they
arrive - although we do have the facilities, for those who choose.

At what point did people become so delicate that they must prevent
every drop of sweat forming? I've seen photos of people in European
cities biking to work in business suits, etc. It _can_ be done!

Sweat won't make you melt. And in the absence of unpleasant bacteria,
it shouldn't make you stink. If your sweat does stink, you need to
talk to a doctor - preferably one who exercises himself and knows about
such things.

Old February 21st 05, 03:03 AM

Brent P wrote:

> That's not what he's been writing frank.
> Leave it to you to try to characterize someone who drives an old

porsche
> and various old studebakers as a common SUV-driving suburb deweller.

:-) Oh - is _that_ what I wrote?

I'm sorry my post has confused you yet again, Brent.

Old February 21st 05, 04:43 AM
Preston Crawford

On 2005-02-20, Claire Petersky > wrote:
> "Matt O'Toole" > wrote in message
>
>> If this is your use pattern, you ought to do the math on ownership vs.

> renting
>> occasionally.

> Or flexcar -- I believe there's flexcar in Portland, where Preston lives.
>
> http://www.flexcar.com/

Thanks for the thoughts, but I bought the car before I started biking
again. And now it's paid off. So too late. And no point in getting rid of
a car I own.

Preston
Old February 21st 05, 06:45 AM
United we Stand

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> Yeah, I've heard stories from people who have visited places like
> Germany where people don't bathe regularly. They tell me the body odor
> of the average German is horrendous!

Is this true, or is Scott trolling, as usual?
Old February 21st 05, 07:01 AM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:45:02 -0800, >,
United we Stand > wrote:

>Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>

>> Yeah, I've heard stories from people who have visited places like
>> Germany where people don't bathe regularly. They tell me the body odor
>> of the average German is horrendous!

>Is this true, or is Scott trolling, as usual?

As jerk-offs are wont to do, he's just masturbating in public again.
--
zk
Old February 21st 05, 09:00 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:45:02 -0800, United we Stand
> wrote:

>> Yeah, I've heard stories from people who have visited places like
>> Germany where people don't bathe regularly. They tell me the body odor
>> of the average German is horrendous!

>Is this true, or is Scott trolling, as usual?

You might want to ask a Japanese what they think of the roundeyes'
burger breath some time ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound
Old February 21st 05, 09:00 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:40:11 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>I'm not worried about melting, and I don't mind generating the sweat.
>I just want to get rid of it after I'm done exercising. Why do yo have
>a problem with that?

Who has a problem with it? I have a problem with people who insist
that you can't cycle commute unless there is a shower in the office -
that is Clearly ********[tm] since a lot of us manage just fine.

Modern fabrics wick sweat so effectively that, provided you allow
yourself to cool down before changing into your day clothes, a bit of
sweat generated on the journey is no big deal anyway.

And even if we do decide to shower when we get to work, so what? Do
these cagers really not shower in the mornings? Pheeuuw! No wonder
they are so sensitive about BO! :-D