HEMI's HOT

Old December 10th 04, 09:06 PM
Luke Smith

Default HEMI's HOT

Thought this was an interesting article. I'm thinking about checking
out one of those new magnums.

HEMI's HOT! - Chrysler Finds Winning Formula
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...09/299397.html
AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Dec. 9, 2004; The HEMI(R) continues to build
momentum. Since first introducing the all-new 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine
for the 2003 model year, Chrysler Group has sold more than 300,000
vehicles with a HEMI inside. In Chrysler Group vehicles where HEMI is
offered, the take-rate is 46 percent.

"The HEMI continues to resonate with consumers and has essentially
become a brand within our brands," said Eric Ridenour, Executive Vice
President, Product Development, Chrysler Group. "And with MDS, our
modern cylinder deactivation system, the HEMI seamlessly moves from
eight cylinders to four cylinders and back. The only thing customers
notice is a savings in fuel economy of up to 20 percent."

On a product-by-product basis, the HEMI remains a popular engine
choice. For Dodge Durango, the take-rate is 54 percent. The 2005 Dodge
Ram is at 46 percent while Dodge Magnum and Chrysler 300C are at 43
percent. Jeep(R) Grand Cherokee's take-rate is 29 percent. MDS is
available on Dodge Magnum, Chrysler 300C and Jeep Grand Cherokee.

In the spring of 2005, Chrysler Group will up the ante and unleash an
all-new, beefed-up 6.1-liter 425-horsepower HEMI V-8 engine in the new
2005 Chrysler 300C SRT8. Preliminary performance targets for Chrysler
300C SRT8 are 0-60 mph in the low five-second range and a quarter-mile
time in the high 13-second range.

The 425-horsepower, naturally aspirated 6.1-liter HEMI will be the
highest specific-output V-8 engine ever offered by the Chrysler Group.
Its 69.8 horsepower-per-liter rating exceeds even that of the legendary
1966 "Street HEMI." Torque is rated at 420 lb.-ft.

"Without question, the HEMI continues to play a critical role in
building momentum for the Chrysler Group," said Ridenour. "With the
introduction of the 6.1-liter HEMI, we're taking the legendary HEMI to
a new level of benchmark performance."

Chrysler Group builds HEMI engines at its Saltillo (Mexico) Engine
Plant. Production for the 6.1-liter HEMI begins in early 2005. Chrysler
Group sales are up three percent year-over-year through November.
Any thoughts?

Old December 11th 04, 12:30 AM
James C. Reeves

"Luke Smith" > wrote in message
oups.com...
| Thought this was an interesting article. I'm thinking about checking
| out one of those new magnums.
|
| HEMI's HOT! - Chrysler Finds Winning Formula
| http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...09/299397.html
| AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Dec. 9, 2004; The HEMI(R) continues to build
| momentum. Since first introducing the all-new 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine
| for the 2003 model year, Chrysler Group has sold more than 300,000
| vehicles with a HEMI inside. In Chrysler Group vehicles where HEMI is
| offered, the take-rate is 46 percent.
|
| "The HEMI continues to resonate with consumers and has essentially
| become a brand within our brands," said Eric Ridenour, Executive Vice
| President, Product Development, Chrysler Group. "And with MDS, our
| modern cylinder deactivation system, the HEMI seamlessly moves from
| eight cylinders to four cylinders and back. The only thing customers
| notice is a savings in fuel economy of up to 20 percent."
|
| On a product-by-product basis, the HEMI remains a popular engine
| choice. For Dodge Durango, the take-rate is 54 percent. The 2005 Dodge
| Ram is at 46 percent while Dodge Magnum and Chrysler 300C are at 43
| percent. Jeep(R) Grand Cherokee's take-rate is 29 percent. MDS is
| available on Dodge Magnum, Chrysler 300C and Jeep Grand Cherokee.
|
| In the spring of 2005, Chrysler Group will up the ante and unleash an
| all-new, beefed-up 6.1-liter 425-horsepower HEMI V-8 engine in the new
| 2005 Chrysler 300C SRT8. Preliminary performance targets for Chrysler
| 300C SRT8 are 0-60 mph in the low five-second range and a quarter-mile
| time in the high 13-second range.
|
| The 425-horsepower, naturally aspirated 6.1-liter HEMI will be the
| highest specific-output V-8 engine ever offered by the Chrysler Group.
| Its 69.8 horsepower-per-liter rating exceeds even that of the legendary
| 1966 "Street HEMI." Torque is rated at 420 lb.-ft.
|
| "Without question, the HEMI continues to play a critical role in
| building momentum for the Chrysler Group," said Ridenour. "With the
| introduction of the 6.1-liter HEMI, we're taking the legendary HEMI to
| a new level of benchmark performance."
|
| Chrysler Group builds HEMI engines at its Saltillo (Mexico) Engine
| Plant. Production for the 6.1-liter HEMI begins in early 2005. Chrysler
| Group sales are up three percent year-over-year through November.
| Any thoughts?

Yes...words that come to mind. Excessive. Overkill. Unnecessary.
Ridiculous. But, apparently people want the power (or think they do), even
though it can rarely be used, since the "take rate" is so high. I can't
remember the last time I've had my 200HP Sebring at half throttle, let alone
full out, for pete sake!

Old December 11th 04, 12:30 AM
James C. Reeves

oups.com...

Old December 11th 04, 01:54 AM
Dave C.

> Yes...words that come to mind. Excessive. Overkill. Unnecessary.
> Ridiculous. But, apparently people want the power (or think they do),
> even
> though it can rarely be used, since the "take rate" is so high. I can't
> remember the last time I've had my 200HP Sebring at half throttle, let
> alone
> full out, for pete sake!

Serious question . . . did you not learn that the highway entrance ramps are
for accelerating to highway speeds BEFORE entering the highway? If you've
got 200HP and you are only using half the throttle, you are definitely doing
something wrong. I see many drivers who seem to be afraid of the
accelerator pedal. It CAN go all the way to the firewall. There is a
reason for that. If you only needed to push it halfway down, there would be
a mechanical stop at that point. -Dave

Old December 11th 04, 01:54 AM
Dave C.

Old December 11th 04, 03:21 AM
Bill 2

"Dave C." > wrote in message
> > Yes...words that come to mind. Excessive. Overkill. Unnecessary.
> > Ridiculous. But, apparently people want the power (or think they do),
> > even
> > though it can rarely be used, since the "take rate" is so high. I can't
> > remember the last time I've had my 200HP Sebring at half throttle, let
> > alone
> > full out, for pete sake!
> >

> Serious question . . . did you not learn that the highway entrance ramps

are
> for accelerating to highway speeds BEFORE entering the highway? If you've
> got 200HP and you are only using half the throttle, you are definitely

doing
> something wrong. I see many drivers who seem to be afraid of the
> accelerator pedal. It CAN go all the way to the firewall. There is a
> reason for that. If you only needed to push it halfway down, there would

be
> a mechanical stop at that point. -Dave

I rarely have the pedal to the floor in my car, even when towing a trailer.
For the vast majority of onramps I can get up to the speed of traffic on the
length of ramp given without having to go all out.

That said it's nice to have the reserve power when I need it.

Old December 11th 04, 03:21 AM
Bill 2

Old December 11th 04, 05:03 AM
Malcolm

"Luke Smith" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Any thoughts?

Reminds me of the clapped out, 10-year-old Dakota pickup I saw the other
day. Had a bumper sticker on it that says "Yeah, it's got a Hemi!".
::rolling eyes::

--
Malcolm

Old December 11th 04, 05:03 AM
Malcolm

oups.com...

Old December 11th 04, 05:25 AM
Dave Stone

"Luke Smith" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thought this was an interesting article. I'm thinking about checking
> out one of those new magnums.

The engine looks great but the cars they are putting it in are not my type.
I liked the concept Charger they came out with a few years ago (especially
with a V8) but apparently they are ditching it in favor of different body
style with 4 doors.

http://www.dodge.com/dodge_life/past...s/charger.html

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autoscon...2/F03-7241.htm