Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! __________-+__isubtob

Old November 10th 04, 03:24 PM
Woodie83

Default Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! __________-+__isubtob

David G Fisher wrote:

> Quick stat: 14 children are gunned down every day in this country (compared
> to about 14 men, women, and children in Britain in an entire year), and yet
> we lecture others on how to be good parents.

The only fact in that statement is the word quick. That 14 a day number
was a gerrymandering of statistics which included drug dealers and
gangmembers killed in gunfights, and "children" up to age 21. If you
cut off the definition of children at 16, the number is under 100 per
year. More are killed by Bic lighters.

The second part is blatantly untrue also. Great Britain outlawed gun
ownership about five years ago, and gun crime has skyrocketed since.

Don McCorkle

Old November 11th 04, 03:05 PM
Mark

Woodie83 > wrote in message >...

> The second part is blatantly untrue also. Great Britain outlawed gun
> ownership about five years ago, and gun crime has skyrocketed since.

I'm sorry, is that what the NRA tell you nowadays?

Guns have never been outlawed over here. Certain types of guns, yes,
but not all firearms.

Not since the time of bows and arrows has there been any "right to
bear arms" over here. To get a gun (according to the sports shooting
colleague I've just spoken with) you first have to be a member of a
gun club for at least six months. Then the owner of the club has to
vouch that you are a capable and trustworthy individual. Then you
have to prove that your home security is up to scratch so that
burglars can't make off with your lethal weapons. Guns are
instruments of hunting and sport - not self defence.

Gun crime is on the increase due to the apparent ease with which
individuals can lay their hands on illegal arms, usually ex-soviet,
and the "cool" Gangsta image of get rich or die trying. For a long
time have teenagers been in gangs and kicked **** out of each other -
happenned when I was a kid and my parents before me - but it appears
to have moved up a gear (hey, this is R.A.S!) I don't know why that
might be, but I do know there is NO link between restricting firearm
ownership and a rise in gun crime. There can't be because given the
above, there can not have been an incident where one person decided
not to commit a gun crime for fear that the victim might be similarly
armed.

Hey! This OT thread is getting OT!!!

Regards,