Help with trying to decide on an SUV

Old March 2nd 04, 04:23 AM
deborah

Default Help with trying to decide on an SUV

I'm buying a new vehicle- I think. I've been told to look at used but
I think they nail you on leasing rates with used. Anyway, I'm moving
from a '98Volvo V70 R AWD. Need a wagon or SUV-big dog and growing
son! The Tribute is so much cheaper thna other SUV's so makes me
suspicious. is there a catch?

Looking at a Subaru Forrester Turbo, also a highlander but wasn't sure
it was worth the money. Any views on these- or the Pathfinder? All
of these vehicles are expensive. Drove the Rav4- too small. Then saw
a used Lexus- 2000 with 46,000 km for $35,900. Expensive for a 4 yr
old vehicle but new they're $55,000. Nice looking- not sure of
handling. The Forrester was amazing handling- the outback seemed
sluggish to me.

So welcome all comments and views.
Old March 2nd 04, 04:45 AM
David

"deborah" > wrote in message om...

> Looking at a Subaru Forrester Turbo, also a highlander but wasn't sure
> it was worth the money. Any views on these- or the Pathfinder? All
> of these vehicles are expensive. Drove the Rav4- too small. Then saw
> a used Lexus- 2000 with 46,000 km for $35,900. Expensive for a 4 yr
> old vehicle but new they're $55,000. Nice looking- not sure of
> handling. The Forrester was amazing handling

So buy the Forester. It's a tall wagon, and a softroader. . Be sure and try the
non-turbo if you want to save money (cost less and uses regular gas; the turbo uses premium,
and more of it). It's faster than the Rav4, and I think it's even faster than the supercharged
Xterra. The turbo is even faster than the WRX. Speaking of which, it doesn't sound like
you need much in terms of size, and it sounds like you appreciate handling. Tried the Impreza
Sport Wagon or WRX Wagon?

Old March 2nd 04, 04:45 AM
David

Old March 3rd 04, 01:31 AM
bowgus

If Subaru, I'd buy a used Legacy LS, GT, whatever ... Wagon, 2.5 litre, 5
spd ... it's a grown ups car. And a lotta fun to drive :-)

"David" > wrote in message

om...

Old March 3rd 04, 01:31 AM
bowgus

"David" > wrote in message

om...

Old March 3rd 04, 03:06 AM
deborah

"David" > wrote in message >...
> "deborah" > wrote in message om...
> >
> > Looking at a Subaru Forrester Turbo, also a highlander but wasn't sure
> > it was worth the money. Any views on these- or the Pathfinder? All
> > of these vehicles are expensive. Drove the Rav4- too small. Then saw
> > a used Lexus- 2000 with 46,000 km for $35,900. Expensive for a 4 yr
> > old vehicle but new they're $55,000. Nice looking- not sure of
> > handling. The Forrester was amazing handling

> So buy the Forester. It's a tall wagon, and a softroader. . Be sure and try the
> non-turbo if you want to save money (cost less and uses regular gas; the turbo uses premium,
> and more of it). It's faster than the Rav4, and I think it's even faster than the supercharged
> Xterra. The turbo is even faster than the WRX. Speaking of which, it doesn't sound like
> you need much in terms of size, and it sounds like you appreciate handling. Tried the Impreza
> Sport Wagon or WRX Wagon?

I need some space because I have a large dog- so the Impreza is too
small. Also worry about safety and Impreza's size makes me wonder- but
that might be uninformed thinking on my part. BTW- I must confess that
I have never used premium gas in my volvo even though I have a turbo.
Too cheap and gas prices too high in Toronto. What happens if you
don't use premium gas?

Yes, I appreciate handling- but maybe I shd just curtail my aggressive
driving and then I cd drive a cheaper car!! Thank you for the input-
Subaru won't wheel and deal on the Forrester since they claim they
have no problems selling them. Maybe I'll wait until the '05s are on
the lot-and see what they say then. Thanks for the feedback.
Old March 3rd 04, 03:06 AM
deborah

Old March 5th 04, 04:17 AM
James BIGFOOT Holloway

hello what about a suzuki grand vitara XL7? Loads of boot space 4 LOW and
well priced?

"deborah" > wrote in message
om...
> "David" > wrote in message

om...

Old March 5th 04, 04:17 AM
James BIGFOOT Holloway

hello what about a suzuki grand vitara XL7? Loads of boot space 4 LOW and
well priced?

"deborah" > wrote in message
om...
> "David" > wrote in message