1997 Dodge Intrepid engine rebuild problem?

Old July 16th 05, 05:23 AM
crb

Default 1997 Dodge Intrepid engine rebuild problem?

I just went to the dealer and had a remanuf. 3.5L engine put in.
I've had to go back twice because of the radiator fluid all leaking
out and the temp pegged out. New water pump also.

With the 3 yr 30k guarantee should they fix it without charging me ANYTHING?

Is the 3.5L a reliable engine? I had 140k on my original when it threw a
rod.

How long can the water temp gauge be pegged out before perm. damage?
Too bad gauges don't have an alarm sound with them.
Old July 16th 05, 12:08 PM
maxpower

"crb" > wrote in message ...
> I just went to the dealer and had a remanuf. 3.5L engine put in.

Just went meaning how many months ago?

> I've had to go back twice because of the radiator fluid all leaking
> out and the temp pegged out. New water pump also.

> With the 3 yr 30k guarantee should they fix it without charging me

ANYTHING?
Should have nothing to do with the 3/36 warranty, if you complained about it
and they havent fixed it the dealer should take responsibly. But keep in
mind if you continue to drive a vehicle with the temp pegged out and severly
overheated heated it, that would be ingnorance and I dont think you would
get any help from the dealer.
If the engine came with a water pump on it and it failed within the warranty
time you may get it covered

> Is the 3.5L a reliable engine? I had 140k on my original when it threw a
> rod.
>
> How long can the water temp gauge be pegged out before perm. damage?
> Too bad gauges don't have an alarm sound with them.

That's a rhetorical question

Old July 16th 05, 01:22 PM
Dan C

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:23:52 -0700, crb wrote:

> How long can the water temp gauge be pegged out before perm. damage?

Not very long.

> Too bad gauges don't have an alarm sound with them.

Too bad people don't pay attention to the gauges...

Linux Registered User #327951

Old July 17th 05, 12:26 AM
rob

oh lord........an alarm on the gauges ? your kidding right?

they still make they 3.5L what does that say about it?

Old July 17th 05, 01:31 AM
maxpower

"rob" > wrote in message
> oh lord........an alarm on the gauges ? your kidding right?
>
> they still make they 3.5L what does that say about it?
>

> "crb" > wrote in message

> > I just went to the dealer and had a remanuf. 3.5L engine put in.
> > I've had to go back twice because of the radiator fluid all leaking
> > out and the temp pegged out. New water pump also.
> >
> > With the 3 yr 30k guarantee should they fix it without charging me

> ANYTHING?
> >
> > Is the 3.5L a reliable engine? I had 140k on my original when it threw a
> > rod.
> >
> > How long can the water temp gauge be pegged out before perm. damage?
> > Too bad gauges don't have an alarm sound with them.

Actually they do have that, Its just a chime that is built into the body
controller on the newer models. Works on oil pressure, temp and charging
system. I believe 98 on up but don't quote me on that.
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 17th 05, 01:40 AM
SN

rob wrote:
> oh lord........an alarm on the gauges ? your kidding right?

No he's not kidding. Even my old 1991 Plymouth Grand Voyager has a
chime alarm to warn of any gross abnormalities in the gauges. It's a
very handy feature to have that has alerted me more than once to an over
heating engine.
Old July 17th 05, 01:52 AM
rob

guess I spent too much time watching mine........alarm would be OK I guess.

I had a guy bring me his daughters fiero with a spun bearing in it. ran it
out of oil. asked if the red oil light came on and she said " yeah but I
was just going down the road a little ways to the store"

Old July 17th 05, 05:40 AM
Gene Poon

rob wrote:

> oh lord........an alarm on the gauges ? your kidding right?

Why do you think they are called IDIOT LIGHTS on the cars which only
have them, and not gauges?

Old July 19th 05, 05:24 PM
me!

Well you may be right Maxy..... I can speak for my el cheapo '98 base line 4
cyl Voyager... I think it saved my engine.. radiator fan relay crapped out,
the chime went off and my wife actually stopped the van and called me !!!!!

Old July 19th 05, 09:18 PM
maxpower

"me!" <me @ nowhere.com> wrote in message
m...
> Well you may be right Maxy..... I can speak for my el cheapo '98 base line

4
> cyl Voyager... I think it saved my engine.. radiator fan relay crapped

out,
> the chime went off and my wife actually stopped the van and called me

!!!!!

You give that woman a big hug!~!!! The Owner of the Caravan I have in the
shop now Is about to divorce his wife because not only did she have a
picture of her kids covering the temp gauge as it was pegged full hot.....
she said she heard a bell dinging inside the car....... as the piston rings
were tearing up the cylinder walls.