Left headlight goes down, but not up

Old November 23rd 04, 08:41 AM
David Wahl

Default Left headlight goes down, but not up

I have an 85 1st gen RX-7 and am having a few problems with the
headlights. The left headlight doesn't come up on its own, but if I
manually raise it while the other one is up, and then I lower the right
one, the left one goes down also. Any suggestions?
Old November 23rd 04, 03:37 PM
Ron K.

David Wahl > wrote in message >...
> I have an 85 1st gen RX-7 and am having a few problems with the
> headlights. The left headlight doesn't come up on its own, but if I
> manually raise it while the other one is up, and then I lower the right
> one, the left one goes down also. Any suggestions?

There is a plastic gear inside the headlight motor that has become
stripped. On firebirds, you can take the motor off, turn the shaft 180
degrees so that the non stripped side of the gear is now in play, and
get a little more life out of it. Otherwise, ya just gotta fess up for
a new motor (unless you can find a new gear for the motor). Not sure
if this will work on a mazda, but it's worth a shot. Do a search on
Firebird Headlight Fix for more details.
Old November 23rd 04, 07:32 PM
Dan

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 02:41:24 -0600, David Wahl
> wrote:

>I have an 85 1st gen RX-7 and am having a few problems with the
>headlights. The left headlight doesn't come up on its own, but if I
>manually raise it while the other one is up, and then I lower the right
>one, the left one goes down also. Any suggestions?

Maybe it needs the little blue pill additive from Pfizer

Dan

Old November 23rd 04, 07:44 PM
Bruce Chang

"Ron K." > wrote in message
om...
> David Wahl > wrote in message
>> I have an 85 1st gen RX-7 and am having a few problems with the
>> headlights. The left headlight doesn't come up on its own, but if I
>> manually raise it while the other one is up, and then I lower the right
>> one, the left one goes down also. Any suggestions?

> There is a plastic gear inside the headlight motor that has become
> stripped. On firebirds, you can take the motor off, turn the shaft 180
> degrees so that the non stripped side of the gear is now in play, and
> get a little more life out of it. Otherwise, ya just gotta fess up for
> a new motor (unless you can find a new gear for the motor). Not sure
> if this will work on a mazda, but it's worth a shot. Do a search on
> Firebird Headlight Fix for more details.

That is typical of 4th gen and newer firebirds (93+). The third generation
firebirds (82-92) had problems with the small nylon balls inside the gear.
Over time the nylon balls (used to keep from crushing a hand or the like
when closing or opening) would crack and break and continue to grind
themselves into a fine dust until there wasn't any solid piece of the balls
to raise the headlight. Of course, lowering the light wasn't so problem as
the motor was working with gravity instead of against it. Your best bet is
to remove the motor and look inside and see what's the matter. A rebuild
kit for the firebird headlight (for replacements for the balls) was like
$10. They're newer nylatron cylinders, rather than balls.

Old November 23rd 04, 10:10 PM
David Wahl

Bruce Chang wrote:
> "Ron K." > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>David Wahl > wrote in message
>>
>>>I have an 85 1st gen RX-7 and am having a few problems with the
>>>headlights. The left headlight doesn't come up on its own, but if I
>>>manually raise it while the other one is up, and then I lower the right
>>>one, the left one goes down also. Any suggestions?

>>There is a plastic gear inside the headlight motor that has become
>>stripped. On firebirds, you can take the motor off, turn the shaft 180
>>degrees so that the non stripped side of the gear is now in play, and
>>get a little more life out of it. Otherwise, ya just gotta fess up for
>>a new motor (unless you can find a new gear for the motor). Not sure
>>if this will work on a mazda, but it's worth a shot. Do a search on
>>Firebird Headlight Fix for more details.

> That is typical of 4th gen and newer firebirds (93+). The third generation
> firebirds (82-92) had problems with the small nylon balls inside the gear.
> Over time the nylon balls (used to keep from crushing a hand or the like
> when closing or opening) would crack and break and continue to grind
> themselves into a fine dust until there wasn't any solid piece of the balls
> to raise the headlight. Of course, lowering the light wasn't so problem as
> the motor was working with gravity instead of against it. Your best bet is
> to remove the motor and look inside and see what's the matter. A rebuild
> kit for the firebird headlight (for replacements for the balls) was like
> $10. They're newer nylatron cylinders, rather than balls.

Thanks to both of you (Ron and Bruce), that would make sense too since
at first it would sometimes pop up and sometimes not. I'll take it apart
this weekend (after the wine and triptophan wears off). Unfortunately
that means I'll probably end up replacing both since the right one has
done it a few times too. Oh well, I have a nice long weekend for it now.
Thanks again,

-David
Old November 23rd 04, 10:14 PM
David Wahl

Dan wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 02:41:24 -0600, David Wahl
> > wrote:
>

>>I have an 85 1st gen RX-7 and am having a few problems with the
>>headlights. The left headlight doesn't come up on its own, but if I
>>manually raise it while the other one is up, and then I lower the right
>>one, the left one goes down also. Any suggestions?

> Maybe it needs the little blue pill additive from Pfizer
>
> Dan

That might work, only problem is I don't want it popping up whenever an
RX-8 drives by...
Old November 24th 04, 04:15 AM
Dan

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:14:01 -0600, David Wahl
> wrote:

>Dan wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 02:41:24 -0600, David Wahl
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>manually raise it while the other one is up, and then I lower the right
>>>one, the left one goes down also. Any suggestions?

>> Maybe it needs the little blue pill additive from Pfizer
>>

>That might work, only problem is I don't want it popping up whenever an
>RX-8 drives by...

When it gets up to RX-69 you'll _really_ be in for it

Dan

Old November 24th 04, 06:13 PM
sdlomi2

"David Wahl" > wrote in message
> Dan wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 02:41:24 -0600, David Wahl
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>I have an 85 1st gen RX-7 and am having a few problems with the
> >>headlights. The left headlight doesn't come up on its own, but if I
> >>manually raise it while the other one is up, and then I lower the right
> >>one, the left one goes down also. Any suggestions?

> > Maybe it needs the little blue pill additive from Pfizer
> >
> > Dan
> >

> That might work, only problem is I don't want it popping up whenever an
> RX-8 drives by...

Would "staying up for 4 hours" be satisfactory? s

Old November 24th 04, 07:13 PM
Bruce Chang

"sdlomi2" > wrote in message ...

> "David Wahl" > wrote in message
>> Dan wrote:
>> > On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 02:41:24 -0600, David Wahl

>> > Maybe it needs the little blue pill additive from Pfizer
>> >
>> > Dan
>> >

>> That might work, only problem is I don't want it popping up whenever an
>> RX-8 drives by...

> Would "staying up for 4 hours" be satisfactory? s

Although a rare occurrence, cars that experience an erection for more than 4
hours should seek immediate automotive repair.

Old November 24th 04, 07:33 PM
sdlomi2

"Bruce Chang" > wrote in message
. com...

> "sdlomi2" > wrote in message

right

> >> That might work, only problem is I don't want it popping up whenever an
> >> RX-8 drives by...

> > Would "staying up for 4 hours" be satisfactory? s
> >

> Although a rare occurrence, cars that experience an erection for more than

4
> hours should seek immediate automotive repair.

Would we guys actually seek immediate medical attention, or do as a
preacher-friend of mine said, "I'd probably advertise myself on the local
news"? (Since I didn't mention his name, guess it's ok that I quoted
him!!!)

1999 VW Jetta Headlight Problem dmcleod VW water cooled 1 August 6th 18 12:18 PM
Passat Wagon - strange sound turning left only Stephen Neal VW water cooled 0 November 23rd 04 08:02 PM
Headlight adjustment Toby Groves Audi 3 June 8th 04 08:50 PM
Ion left turn signal Jason Sacks Saturn 2 May 21st 04 03:17 AM