GW caused the Hurricanes in Fl.

Old October 29th 04, 10:57 PM
Mitch_A

Youre re-writing history David. The War began on Sept 1st 1939 and by June
of 1940 England was the only European nation still fighting against Germany.
Not trying to denigrate any of those countries its just that historical
facts are just that, facts, not to be used as a political tool for the
subversive left :-)

If it wasnt for the Brits during the Battle of Britain the US would not have
had a base from which to launch an invasion. The Luftwaffe was developing a
long range bomber that would reach New York. German scientists were first
to understand the theory of splitting an atom. We can only guess where we
would be today had England and America appeased instead of defended and
attacked. Were at that point now in our War against Terrorists whether you
agree or not.

England was our Enemy during the revolutionary war, what does that have to
do with anything? Had they won the USA wouldnt exist either.

As far as Im concerned France took sides and they did not side with America.

Dave, get on Teamspeak early tomorrow and Ill let you convince me to vote
for Kerry. One honest, valid reason why I should give him my vote.

Mitch

Old October 29th 04, 11:57 PM
Phil Newnham

Mitch_A wrote:
> Youre re-writing history David. The War began on Sept 1st 1939 and by June
> of 1940 England was the only European nation still fighting against Germany.
> Not trying to denigrate any of those countries its just that historical
> facts are just that, facts, not to be used as a political tool for the
> subversive left :-)
>
> If it wasnt for the Brits during the Battle of Britain the US would not have
> had a base from which to launch an invasion.

Not forgetting the Poles, the Free French, the Royal Canadian Air Force,
etc., and the US nationals who chose to sign up for the RAF, of course.
Or the various resistance movements in occupied European territories,
including France. It's not at all fair to say that after France was
taken, the only people left fighting the Germans were the British (Wales
and Scotland also having provided aircrew and troops of course).

--
Phil

Old October 30th 04, 01:48 AM
rms

> Let's just leave it at that. In a year, maybe two, they'll send a Belgian
> peacekeeping force in to get drunk with the locals and sort the whole
> thing out, don't worry. ;-))

Just so they don't get ideas *cough* Belgian Congo *cough* Rwanda
*cough* *cough*

rms

Old October 30th 04, 02:36 AM
Mitch_A

See my next post first paragraph.

Mitch

Old October 30th 04, 09:28 AM
Jan Verschueren

"rms" wrote...
> > <snip>

> Just so they don't get ideas *cough* Belgian Congo *cough*
> Rwanda *cough* *cough*

We had terrible chain of command and discipline issues in Rwanda, combined
with idiocy in the field (10 paracommandos surrendered their weapons and
allowed themselves to be butchered... wot?!?). I thought it was pretty bad
watching from sidelines, then this Canadian General came out and told the
inside story and I found out it was about 10 times as bad as I thought. Not
good, not good at all and, I'm ashamed to say, not many heads rolled for it
at the court martials here.

Ok, so Rwanda was a spectacular cock-up, but remind me what, in a military
sense, we did wrong in Congo?

Jan.
=---

Old October 30th 04, 04:11 PM
Phil Newnham

Mitch_A wrote:
> "Jan Verschueren" > wrote in message
>

>>Not strictly true: Dutch, Belgian, Polish and original French government
>>were exiled, but whatever part of their armies they had left after the
>>Blitzkrieg were put under British command and continued to fight the
>>Germans throughout the war. Also, there was partisan action against the
>>occupying forces throughout the Balkan and the north of Spain.

> Yes they did and for that were ALL grateful even to this day (they were
> after all the greatest generation). That said though they were a force with
> little ability to wage war against Hitlers war machine.

The Poles and the Free French flew with the British in the Battle of
Britain. When we were down to our last few aircraft and pilots, they
were among them, and they were an important part of the Few. The French
resistance helped a lot to disrupt and destroy supply lines and made
life much more difficult for the occupying forces in France. They also
helped spy on the enemy, which was all part of the effort.

>>The blunt truth is that, almost without exception, everyone had
>>underestimated the strike capability of the German army and, more
>>importantly, that it's new make up and tactics made a mockery of the
>>static defenses our conservative militaries relied upon.

> The Maginauo?? line. What a joke. One of these days Im going to go see all
> this wonderful history for myself.

The Magino line (no, I don't know how to spell it either, but that's
what I remember from school) was actually really fantastically well
constructed, with one oversight. The French believed that Hitler would
respect Holland's and Belgium's declarations of independence, and did
not build the line along the border with Belgium. Hitler ignored the
declarations, swept through Holland and Belgium, and swept up the Magino
line from the one direction it did not expect attack - behind.

--
Phil

Old October 31st 04, 12:50 PM
Asgeir Nesoen

If you really study war history, you'll see that the true turning point
in the war was not when the US engaged, it was Stalingrad, 6th german
army turned into PoW.

80 % of the total number of german casulaties/wounded took place BEFORE
the D-day.

72% of the total number of german casulaties/wounded took place at the
Eastern Front.

So, if it weren't for the *Russian army*, suffering more than 20 million
victims, Europe would not be what it is today.

We all know that the US had vast production fasilities unmatched by
*any* coalition of this world, and we all know US didn't engaged
*before* Pearl Harbour and Oil tankers being sunk at the east coast by
german subs.

I think you americans (I am not generalizing! ;-) ought to do yourself a
favour and stop imagining that you are the saviours of this world.

Ask a south-american what took place on september 11th! That was when a
rightfully elected leader (Allende) were replaced and later shot by CIA
supported troops.

---A---

Old October 31st 04, 06:45 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:09:28 GMT, Mitch_A wrote:
> I couldnt disagree more Uwe. Americans Manipulated? Are you kidding? I
> think Europe has been manipulated into thinking this way.

Hi Mitch,

thanks for your reply. Please pick up a copy of "Ishmael" by Daniel
Quinn and let me know what you think. I know it's a rather terse reply
to an elaborate post of yours, but reading this book might help
further the cause of this argument and give you more insight on "how
things came to be this way".

All the best,

Uwe

--
mail replies to Uwe at schuerkamp dot de ( yahoo address is spambox)
Uwe Schuerkamp //////////////////////////// http://www.schuerkamp.de/
Old October 31st 04, 08:40 PM
David G Fisher

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:09:28 GMT, Mitch_A wrote:
> > I couldnt disagree more Uwe. Americans Manipulated? Are you kidding?

> > think Europe has been manipulated into thinking this way.
> >

> Hi Mitch,
>
> thanks for your reply. Please pick up a copy of "Ishmael" by Daniel
> Quinn and let me know what you think. I know it's a rather terse reply
> to an elaborate post of yours, but reading this book might help
> further the cause of this argument and give you more insight on "how
> things came to be this way".
>

> All the best,
>
> Uwe

Here's three of the most damning GWB articles I've read in the last 24
hours.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6364551/site/newsweek/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in652488.shtml

http://www.guerrillanews.com/article...cle.php?id=761

Old October 31st 04, 10:10 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 14:40:55 -0500, David G Fisher wrote:

> Here's three of the most damning GWB articles I've read in the last 24
> hours.
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6364551/site/newsweek/

MSnbc damning GWB??? Thanks for shooting down my favourite conspiracy
theory ;-)

"War president", tsk tsk. A nation in fear. This will be my last post
in this thread, having taken it to private email with those involved.

Cheers & all the best,

Uwe