Where to keep vehicle registration in a VW Golf?

Old May 31st 05, 08:16 PM

"Daniel Alsaker" > wrote in message
> (Rich Wales) wrote in
> g:

> What the hell kind of a scary-ass country do you live in, where a police
> officer might freak out if you reached for the glove compartment???

Right here in the USA, you need to be pretty careful. There was an article
in the Houston
Chronicle in recent months detailing some 60-70 odd shootings of unarmed
individuals by
the police. Several teenagers have been killed. Police got spooked, they
say.

If a policeman pulls you over here, you are to stay in the car, keep your
hands up and clearly visible. No quick moves.

If you carry a concealed firearm, you hand the policeman the license along
with your drivers
license.

I guess our registration documentation is the window sticker. We do not
have paper registrations
any more, as far as I know.

I would not keep the title in the car, for sure.

Old May 31st 05, 09:58 PM
Arthur Dent

"Daniel Alsaker" > wrote in message

> What the hell kind of a scary-ass country do you live in, where a police
> officer might freak out if you reached for the glove compartment???

Why, that would have to be the good ole US of A, where the Founding Fathers
believed that it was the right and duty of all free citizens to keep and
bear arms in defense of life and liberty, against not only common criminals
but tyrannical government as well.

Guns are freely available (and in many cases, more easily obtained by
criminals than the citizens who try to be law-abiding, which basically
sucks*).

It is good for those who claim power and authority to be concerned that the
citizens could resort to the ultimate defense should their rule become
unjust. It is one of the most important components in the checks and
balances of power in government.

*{ Despite the arguments of those in favor of restricting law-abiding
citizens from carrying weapons, criminals have no more compunctions against
breaking the "gun-control" laws than they do any other, and such laws do
nothing to reduce crime. It can, in fact, be shown that regions/countries
with tougher gun restrictions suffer from a higher crime rate than those
where fewer restrictions are imposed. }

While the police have little to fear from the generally law-abiding public
who happen to be armed, it is (and will be for the foreseeable future)
impossible to prevent criminals from obtaining weapons, and they will always
have to be concerned for their safety. A cop, whether in the USA or any
other country, cannot tell just from looking at you if you are a criminal or
not. Any cop, in any country, should be concerned for his/her safety when a
subject of inquiry makes a sudden movement or reaches into an area that
he/she cannot see into. It is only common sense, and any cop who becomes
careless in this regard may eventually meet an early demise.

No modern government in any country has been successful in eliminating
weapons from the possession of the criminal element. If you look at England
and Australia, for example, who have in recent years practically barred
nearly the entire body of the law-abiding public from possessing/obtaining
weapons, a significant industry in black-market weapons has arisen. Weapons
are obtained both by smuggling and by the theft of weapons owned by the
police themselves.

While such plans sound good in theory, in practical application they fail
miserably.

And, as this thread is becoming considerably off-topic, we should move it to
another group if you wish to discuss it further. I'm sure there must be a
rec.guns or similar group.

Old June 1st 05, 03:58 AM
Napalm Heart

At least where I live, it is a violation of law to not have
registration and proof of insurance paperwork with you while driving.
If a thief doesn't have them it increases the odds of them not
convincing the police that they borrowed the car. They might well get
arrested quicker without the appropriate paperwork.

Ken (MI)

"Lee" > wrote in message
> thieves can't do anything is registration or insurance...... he is

not

http://www.richw.org

Old June 1st 05, 03:55 PM
Papa

You are right, and even those who live in states not requiring those papers
(I thought all states did) should carry them unless they never travel beyond
their own borders - because we are all subject to the laws for wherever we
are.

Old June 2nd 05, 11:18 AM
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled wrote:

: "Daniel Alsaker" > wrote in message
: ...
:>
[...]

Yep, similar situation here in Chicago... A officer friend of mine advises...

1) If your on the phone, end the call and place phone on the dash
2) Turn car off
3) Remove keys and place on dash in plain view
4) Turn on interior light if dark outside
5) Stay in the car unless asked to get out
6) Don't rustle around for DL or insurance card (wait until asked)
7) Put hands on steering wheel at 10 and 2 position
8) Sit relatively still while waiting for officer.
9) Lastly, be polite

A friend of mine said he fell asleep while the officer was writing his
speeding ticket... he claimed the officer was really mad when he had to
wake him up... so, stay awake, no matter how long they take to write your
ticket ;-)

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
Old June 3rd 05, 07:25 AM
RJ

Chicago Paddling-Fishing > wrote:

> In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled wrote:
>
> : "Daniel Alsaker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> :>
(Rich Wales) wrote in
> :> g:
>
> :> What the hell kind of a scary-ass country do you live in, where a police
> :> officer might freak out if you reached for the glove compartment???
>
> : Right here in the USA, you need to be pretty careful. There was an article
> : in the Houston
> : Chronicle in recent months detailing some 60-70 odd shootings of unarmed
> : individuals by
> : the police. Several teenagers have been killed. Police got spooked, they
> : say.
>
> : If a policeman pulls you over here, you are to stay in the car, keep your
> : hands up and clearly visible. No quick moves.
>
> : If you carry a concealed firearm, you hand the policeman the license along
> : with your drivers
> : license.
>
> : I guess our registration documentation is the window sticker. We do not
> : have paper registrations
> : any more, as far as I know.
>
> : I would not keep the title in the car, for sure.
>
> Yep, similar situation here in Chicago... A officer friend of mine advises...
>
> 1) If your on the phone, end the call and place phone on the dash
> 2) Turn car off
> 3) Remove keys and place on dash in plain view
> 4) Turn on interior light if dark outside
> 5) Stay in the car unless asked to get out
> 6) Don't rustle around for DL or insurance card (wait until asked)
> 7) Put hands on steering wheel at 10 and 2 position
> 8) Sit relatively still while waiting for officer.
> 9) Lastly, be polite

Yes, no matter how demeaning it is you must remain compliant and do
everything the officer wants you to do in exactly the way that makes
everything convenient for him. Because he is a police officer, he is
much more important than you are.
Old June 3rd 05, 12:19 PM
Napalm Heart

"RJ" > wrote in message
om...
> Chicago Paddling-Fishing > wrote:
>
> > In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled wrote:
> >
> > : "Daniel Alsaker" > wrote in message
> > : ...
> > :>
(Rich Wales) wrote in
> > :> g:
> >
> > :> What the hell kind of a scary-ass country do you live in, where

a police
> > :> officer might freak out if you reached for the glove

compartment???

> > : Right here in the USA, you need to be pretty careful. There was

an article
> > : in the Houston
> > : Chronicle in recent months detailing some 60-70 odd shootings of

unarmed
> > : individuals by
> > : the police. Several teenagers have been killed. Police got

spooked, they
> > : say.
> >
> > : If a policeman pulls you over here, you are to stay in the car,

keep your
> > : hands up and clearly visible. No quick moves.
> >
> > : If you carry a concealed firearm, you hand the policeman the

license along
> > : with your drivers
> > : license.
> >
> > : I guess our registration documentation is the window sticker.

We do not
> > : have paper registrations
> > : any more, as far as I know.
> >
> > : I would not keep the title in the car, for sure.
> >
> > Yep, similar situation here in Chicago... A officer friend of

mine advises...

> > 1) If your on the phone, end the call and place phone on the dash
> > 2) Turn car off
> > 3) Remove keys and place on dash in plain view
> > 4) Turn on interior light if dark outside
> > 5) Stay in the car unless asked to get out
> > 6) Don't rustle around for DL or insurance card (wait until asked)
> > 7) Put hands on steering wheel at 10 and 2 position
> > 8) Sit relatively still while waiting for officer.
> > 9) Lastly, be polite

> Yes, no matter how demeaning it is you must remain compliant and do
> everything the officer wants you to do in exactly the way that makes
> everything convenient for him. Because he is a police officer, he

is
> much more important than you are.

Maybe not more important, but he is the one with the gun, club, mace,
taser, etc., and the power and authority to use them, besides the
power and authority to arrest and detain you. If you can't respect
the person, respect his position and make your life easier.

Ken (MI)