Frame vs Sub- Frame?

Old August 15th 04, 04:03 AM

Default Frame vs Sub- Frame?

I get the idea of cars back in the 70s being built on a frame, so how is
that different on current cars built with Sub frames? or no frame.
Thank You,

Yvonne

Old August 16th 04, 04:04 AM
G.R. Patterson III

> I get the idea of cars back in the 70s being built on a frame, so how is
> that different on current cars built with Sub frames? or no frame.

Frames were on the way out in American cars in the early '60s. A frame is a set of
steel girders. The engine, radiator, springs, and such all bolt directly to the
frame. The car body sits on top of the frame and is also bolted to it. The body is
usually several pieces bolted together. It is possible to remove the body and still
be able to drive the car. Most pickup trucks still have frames, and these are visible
inside the rear wheel wells under the bed.

In the early '60s, automakers started moving to the so-called "unibody construction".
In this type of car, most of the body is welded together into one piece. Sections of
the body are built solidly enough for the engine, radiator, springs, and such all to
bolt to the body itself. There is no separate frame. One disadvantage of the
technique is the methods required to repair damage. With the older cars, a
"fender-bender" means you must bolt on a new fender. With the new ones, the existing
body must be straightened and patched.

Some cars have what appears to be a frame welded to the underside of the body. Two
with which I am familiar were the Econoline series through about '67 and the '63
Fairlane. Some people call these subframes. There are also cars that have removable
frame-like sections which stiffen up either the frame or the unibody. These are also
called subframes. My '40 Ford has a girder frame with an "X" shaped subframe in the
center.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.