Q:Right-Lock lockers

Old January 12th 04, 11:08 AM
Zenteren

Default Q:Right-Lock lockers

I'm owner of a Suzuki samurai. It has a rear 100% manual operating
locker. I'm wondering if I put Detroit Right Lock front locker, how will
this affect on cornering on pavement roads, and slippery surfaces like mud
and ice when all four wheels are in drive, and will this be a problem if it
is in rear wheel drive and with locked hubs in front. I'm using this car as
a daily driver.

Old January 12th 04, 05:26 PM
willie

Is the locker in the rear a cable operated locker?
To answer the other questions....when operating lockers on pavement, the
vehicle will "grab" during turning....while in mud and snow, ALL four wheels
will be driving the vehicle....making it VERY stable and very good to drive
Cheers Willie

Old January 12th 04, 05:26 PM
willie

Old January 12th 04, 11:27 PM
Bret Chase

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:26:39 -0800, "willie" >
wrote:

>:|Is the locker in the rear a cable operated locker?
>:|To answer the other questions....when operating lockers on pavement, the
>:|vehicle will "grab" during turning....while in mud and snow, ALL four wheels
>:|will be driving the vehicle....making it VERY stable and very good to drive
>:|Cheers Willie

if you call weaving caused by a rear locker locking and unlocking with
power application on sweeping turns, the rear completely breaking
loose and turning the vehicle sideways (instead of just a wheel
spinning) and the front end plowing due to a front locker stable...
than you've got a much different definition of stability than I.

Zenteren,

any auto locker in the front will cause the front to plow in turns as
a locker powers the slower moving inside wheel over the outer, faster
rotating wheel with an open diff. I think you'll be sorely
disappointed in the driveability problems caused by a front auto
locker.

as I always tell my wife, it's a hell of alot more important to be
able to steer, than it is to go.

-Bret

Old January 12th 04, 11:27 PM
Bret Chase

Old January 13th 04, 11:48 AM
Zenteren

OK. If I understand it clearly, the automatic locker in the front will not
disconnect while making turn like the rear one do???

Old January 13th 04, 11:48 AM
Zenteren

Old January 14th 04, 12:31 AM
Bret Chase

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:48:53 +0100, "Zenteren"
> wrote:

>:|OK. If I understand it clearly, the automatic locker in the front will not
>:|disconnect while making turn like the rear one do???
>:|
>:|

an auto locker works by letting one wheel overrun the other. by doing
this, the slower moving tire is the one that is recieving the engine's
power, causing some very significant understeer.

with an open differential, the torque is split 50/50 until a wheel
looses traction, then the spinning wheel recieves 100% of the torque.
this leaves the other wheel to track along and maintain lateral
stability.

*I* would only consider putting in a front auto locker in a vehicle
that was trail only....they make for some sometimes unpredictable
handling.

-Bret

Old January 14th 04, 12:31 AM
Bret Chase

Old January 14th 04, 10:47 AM
Zenteren

In fact my car is a trail only machine, and works in mud and loose ground,
never on the rocks. The only distance I drive on the street is to get to the
trail.
I often drive in the forest and long hills with lot's of sharp corners where
you don't won't to loose speed or get out of the track, and the worst thing
that could happen is that I don't won't to get out of the car to disconnect
front hubs to pass the corner cause automatic locker will engage in corner.
I asked more than 20 people via e-mail and I received 20 different answers.
Some of them were telling me that they are driving better in muddy corners
with front auto locker, and others are telling that they cannot imagine to
drive through muddy corners with front auto locker.
I have friend who has a rear auto locker in Suzuki and while passing corners
on road diff sounds like "click-click....click" because he disconnects if
there is any speed limits in wheel travel, but when one wheel loose traction
the torque is transmitted through the locker 50% on each wheel.
I don't see any difference why front locker shouldn't act like the rear one.