What is a TJ?

Old January 19th 05, 07:26 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

1985-87 #3 Wrangler Chevy Monte Carlo driven by Dale Earnhardt sr.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 19th 05, 07:30 PM
Derrick Hudson

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:02:43 -0500, Patrick wrote:
> For those Americans wondering why this Jeep is called a TJ and not a
> Wrangler, it turns out that GM still holds the trademark on the Wrangler
> name in Canada (GM named a pickup truck the Wrangler but no longer carries
> that model), so Jeep can't use it.
>
> got this from http://www.carleton.ca/~bcousens/JEEP.html

I didn't know that. I found it interesting that the cross-reference
book at the parts store said "Wrangler" and also listed "TJ (Canada)".

> still dont know what the T and the J stand for....

They are the first two characters of the body code. You will only see
it on paperwork for a new Wrangler or perhaps also on the sticker on
the driver's door panel.

http://www.visi.com/~tam/tjfaq.html#sec1_5

Some people like calling it a TJ because it differentiates from the
first generation Wrangler, designated "YJ", and probably also because
it is shorter than "Wrangler". When I went to the parts department at
a local dealer, the counter guy wrote "TJ" in the space for "model" on
my order form.

--
Microsoft encrypts your Windows NT password when stored on a Windows CE
device. But if you look carefully at their encryption algorithm, they

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/ jabber:
Old January 19th 05, 08:16 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

That would be Wrangler jeans as a sponsor...

Old January 19th 05, 08:25 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thank you. I was thinking, maybe it was like Levi Jeep:
http://www.austinjeeps.com/jeep2.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 19th 05, 08:28 PM
JimG

That would be Dale (potty mouth) Jr., the Wrangler guy...

--
JimG
80' CJ-7 258 CID, HEI

00' TJ Sport 4.0L, 5sp
4.56 Gears, TrueTrac rear
33" BFG AT on 15x8 Eagle Alloys
D35 Rear, D30 Front. 3" Suspension Lift

Old January 19th 05, 08:28 PM
Mike Romain

GM had a 1/2 ton pickup called a Wrangler way back when.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 19th 05, 09:05 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

GMC 1982-87:
http://www.consignall.ca/members/sql...p?itemID=1593#
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 20th 05, 04:26 AM
Jeff Strickland

What is a TJ?

Well, it is a car, sort of. Not a car so much as a truck. But that is not
really telling the whole story. It is perhaps the most capable 4WD vehicle
in the history of the universe, or at least since WWII. It is a
transportation system. Well, it is a recreational transportation system, to
be more accurate. OK, some will use it as a primary means of transportation,
some use it strictly in recreation. This group leans towards recreation, but
we have our share of daily drivers as well. But, in a TJ, even the commute
can become recreation. I once worked only 8 miles from my house, and it
often took me well in excess of an hour to get home, only 15 minutes to get
there, but an hour to get home. And, there was no traffic on the homeward
bound trip. Well, there was traffic where other went, but none where I went.

A TJ is a way of life. Flannel shirts and long underwear, unless it is
summer. Then a TJ might be tshirt and shorts. A TJ is almost always boots,
no matter what is above the knees.

A TJ is many things my friend. What would you like it to be?

Old January 20th 05, 04:27 AM
Jeff Strickland

<covering mouth as if coughing>
Bull****

. ..

Old January 20th 05, 07:55 AM
Cherokee-Ltd

"Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message
> I've always understood it to be GM, I believe they use(d) the name
> Wrangler
> for a small pickep truck, possible the S-10 equivalent.

Nope, full size. It was basically a work truck with rally wheels and
pinstripes. The Wrangler name was dropped for the 88' line up and something
called the "Work Truck" appeared... two lamp system with a grey grill... no
frills. I don't know if this was meant to be a substitute but I hadn't heard
of it before then.

Have you guys ever heard of a;
Catalina/Parisienne? (Like a Bonneville)
Acadian? (Like a Chevy II and a Chevette in the later years)
Beaumont? (Chevelle)
Lots more that escape me right now...

-Brian