88 accord DX trans locked up in 'PARK'

Old July 19th 05, 05:20 AM
bottledoctor

Default 88 accord DX trans locked up in 'PARK'

Only 75k on this oldie. However, drove it into
my driveway friday evening & all was normal.
Wife went out sat am & engine fired up fine,
steering wheel released, BUT she couldn't get
the trans out of park.. I removed the front console cover & removed the
shift adjuster lock pin. The shift lever is working fine but that
shift cable seems to be frozen.. Haven't been UNDER the auto yet but i'd
like to know what i'm looking for under there before I go thru the
ropes of getting under the car.Can't move it very
easy with it stuck in park.. I do have the thick SHOP manual for the auto
& so far i've found
nothing on my problem. Just lots of FINE photos..
Is there anyone out there familiar with this problem? Appreciate any
input..

thx, jim
++++++++++++++++++

Old July 19th 05, 07:21 AM
Mark

I'm not sure if this would be an issue in a somewhat older Honda, but
my 2000 Integra will lock its shift cable into Park whenever, for
example, the horn fuse is blown or removed, presumedly as a safety
precaution (I found this out the hard way while rewiring and testing my
Acura alarm system).

I admittedly know very little about Honda's electrical systems, but I
thought I'd throw this anecdote out there in case it might serve as a
starting point in your investigation. Good luck!

Old July 20th 05, 02:43 PM
Sam Nickaby

"bottledoctor" > wrote

> Only 75k on this oldie. However, drove it into
> my driveway friday evening & all was normal.
> Wife went out sat am & engine fired up fine,
> steering wheel released, BUT she couldn't get
> the trans out of park.. I removed the front console cover & removed the
> shift adjuster lock pin. The shift lever is working fine but that
> shift cable seems to be frozen.. Haven't been UNDER the auto yet but i'd
> like to know what i'm looking for under there before I go thru the
> ropes of getting under the car.Can't move it very
> easy with it stuck in park.. I do have the thick SHOP manual for the auto
> & so far i've found
> nothing on my problem. Just lots of FINE photos..
> Is there anyone out there familiar with this problem? Appreciate any
> input..

Maybe the parking paw is stuck. Rock the car or raise the front tire and
give the tire a twist.

I don't remember seeing photos in the shop manual but just drawings.