Variable Service Indicator

Old June 5th 05, 09:00 PM
Chris Bartram

Default Variable Service Indicator

I've got a 1999 A3 TDi, currently on the variable servicing. I plan to
service it myself, and reset the indicator as per the supplement in my
owners manual. I've read that if you do this with a VW, the car switches
back to fixed 10k mile servicing. Does anyone know if the A3 will do this?
Old June 6th 05, 01:47 PM
Pete

"Chris Bartram" wrote
> I've got a 1999 A3 TDi, currently on the variable servicing. I plan to
> service it myself, and reset the indicator as per the supplement in my
> owners manual. I've read that if you do this with a VW, the car switches
> back to fixed 10k mile servicing. Does anyone know if the A3 will do this?

My understanding was that you still need to reset it at every oil change,
whether you're on variable or fixed interval. The switching from variable
to fixed and modifying the value of fixed is done through a VAG tool only.

Cheers,

Pete

Old June 6th 05, 01:54 PM
Alec

I plan to
> service it myself, and reset the indicator as per the supplement in my
> owners manual. I've read that if you do this with a VW, the car switches
> back to fixed 10k mile servicing. Does anyone know if the A3 will do this?

I believe it will. The only way to manage variable servicing is to invest in
a VAG-COM. It comes in handy for all manner of things.
Also it is worth renting the service manuals, you can be selective, from VW
:

https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erWinVW/

Rgds
Alec

Old June 6th 05, 05:46 PM
Chris Bartram

Alec wrote:
> I plan to
>
>>service it myself, and reset the indicator as per the supplement in my
>>owners manual. I've read that if you do this with a VW, the car switches
>>back to fixed 10k mile servicing. Does anyone know if the A3 will do this?

> I believe it will. The only way to manage variable servicing is to invest in
> a VAG-COM. It comes in handy for all manner of things.
> Also it is worth renting the service manuals, you can be selective, from VW
> :
>
> https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erWinVW/
>
> Rgds
> Alec

I've already got some of the manuals from erwin. It's a great idea.

I was hoping to not need VAG-COM. I do want to get a copy, but as I'm
servicing the car myself to save some cash, it will have to wait. Since
another poster said the switching can only be done with VAG-COM (or
presumeably a 1551/1552 tool), I think I'll just reset it and see what
happens. The worst that can happen is having to change oil again in 10K
miles, which isn't so much of a problem.
Old June 6th 05, 10:49 PM
Chris Bartram

>> I believe it will. The only way to manage variable servicing is to
>> invest in a VAG-COM. It comes in handy for all manner of things.
>> Also it is worth renting the service manuals, you can be selective,
>> from VW :
>>
>> https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erWinVW/
>>
>> Rgds
>> Alec

Just to confirm it in case anyone else is wondering: I've looked in the
factory manuals (from erwin) which I already had, and if the car is set
up for variable servicing, and you reset the indicator from the panel,
rather than using VAG-COM or a 1551/2, the car reverts to 10K file
fixed intervals. Looks like I didn't need to buy SLX Longlife II after
all.......
Old June 7th 05, 12:11 PM
Pete

"Chris Bartram" wrote
> Just to confirm it in case anyone else is wondering: I've looked in the
> factory manuals (from erwin) which I already had, and if the car is set up
> for variable servicing, and you reset the indicator from the panel, rather
> than using VAG-COM or a 1551/2, the car reverts to 10K file fixed
> intervals.

So every oil change = a trip to the dealer for the reset, if you want to
stick with variable intervals? This sucks.

Cheers,

Pete

Old June 7th 05, 05:13 PM
Alec

> So every oil change = a trip to the dealer for the reset, if you want to
> stick with variable intervals? This sucks.

Soon pays for a vag-com, assuming you already have a laptop.
Rgds

Old June 7th 05, 07:34 PM
Chris Bartram

Alec wrote:
>>So every oil change = a trip to the dealer for the reset, if you want to
>>stick with variable intervals? This sucks.

> Soon pays for a vag-com, assuming you already have a laptop.
> Rgds

I'll be getting vag-com soon. For now I'll suffer 10K intervals.
Old June 8th 05, 09:58 AM
Ronny

Chris Bartram wrote:
> Alec wrote:
>>> So every oil change = a trip to the dealer for the reset, if you
>>> want to stick with variable intervals? This sucks.

>> Soon pays for a vag-com, assuming you already have a laptop.
>> Rgds
>>

> I'll be getting vag-com soon. For now I'll suffer 10K intervals.

ummm forgive me if I'm wrong but why do you have to change your oil every
10k miles? why not just reset it after 10k and then drive it to 20k like a
long life service is?

The whole point of variable servicing is for people who do mostly motorway
miles, if you are one of these people you don't need a screen to tell you.

Old June 8th 05, 12:30 PM
Chris Bartram

Ronny wrote:

> The whole point of variable servicing is for people who do mostly motorway
> miles, if you are one of these people you don't need a screen to tell you.

Good point. I'd just like the indicator to be right, I suppose.

T&C Perform Service Indicator Tom Hubley Chrysler 1 January 13th 05 03:37 AM
Service indicator OiS Audi 3 November 27th 04 06:00 PM
e34: service indicator lights mojohotmail BMW 23 November 16th 04 10:28 PM
Variable (50K) service on old A3 - UK price? Alex Audi 1 July 8th 04 06:50 PM