Spray-on mud and speed cameras?

Old June 5th 05, 10:13 PM

Default Spray-on mud and speed cameras?

Hi,

Does anyone use spray-on mud, or know anyone else who does?

I am a journalist researching a story on products like the one at
http://www.sprayonmud.com.

Have you used such products, or know any stories about people who have?

What are the ways in which it can be used and why? Such products are
marketed to 4x4 owners looking to give their vehicle an authentic
just-been-up-the-side-of-a-mountain look, but I have read from some
people who say they could be used to cover cars' registration plates to
avoid detection by speed cameras (something the manufacturer of the
above product says it does not condone and an activity it
discourages)... Got any stories about either of these uses? Ever used
spray-on mud yourself to avoid getting nicked or flashed?

What do you think of spray-on-mud - handy way for busy drivers to get
4x4 street cred, pointless yuppie posturing, perfect way to evade the
long arm of the law?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has used this type of thing or who has
any anecdotes.

If you'd rather not be identified, email .

Thanks.

Old June 5th 05, 10:54 PM

Apparently on date 5 Jun 2005 14:13:39 -0700, said:

>Hi,
>
>Does anyone use spray-on mud, or know anyone else who does?

I'm still flabbergasted at B3ta posting the advert.

Does anyone outside of Islington actually have no way to find mud at a cheaper
price than eight quid a throw?

>I am a journalist researching a story on products like the one at

http://www.spamonmud.com.

No, I think you'll find you are trying to promote a completely stupid product.
Like spray on dog turds, it's easy enough to smell without buying mail order
faeces, simply by stepping in the droppings.

Ooh, a questionnai

>Have you used such products, or know any stories about people who have?

Well, I've used mud. Generally when cycling through the woods as a child and
walking it into the kitchen, and the like. No specific stories but women tend
to get all upset about it on the carpet or wood block flooring, even today.

>What are the ways in which it can be used and why?

Vietnam Veterans could buy a can of spray-on-mud and smear it on their cheeks,
except it would be too consistent so the random effect of dirt would be lost.

The RAF could spray it onto otherwise green-painted military aircraft to
enhance their camouflage, if they didn't already paint some of them a bit
brown.

>Such products are
>marketed to 4x4 owners looking to give their vehicle an authentic
>just-been-up-the-side-of-a-mountain look, but I have read from some
>people who say they could be used to cover cars' registration plates to
>avoid detection by speed cameras (something the manufacturer of the
>above product says it does not condone and an activity it
>discourages)... Got any stories about either of these uses?

Yeah, I had cack all over my numberplate once and got stopped. Just as well I
wasn't on the way home from a heavy drinking session, I suppose. Luckily the
plate was still readable so they just told me off.

>Ever used spray-on mud yourself to avoid getting nicked or flashed?

Easier just to remove the numberplate. I've got a new product "no plate", which
consists of a foot long piece of gaffer tape. You stretch it over your
numberplate and suddenly are immune to prosecution, it's grate and grate, and
really grate.

Best to use this instead of removing your numberplates. The idea is when the
police come round to take you to prison, you can remove the gaffer tape so that
your family are able to find and sell the car to someone else who won't bother
to tax or insure it either.

>What do you think of spray-on-mud - handy way for busy drivers to get
>4x4 street cred, pointless yuppie posturing, perfect way to evade the
>long arm of the law?

It's a way to get eight quid off people who are too stupid to reach down into
the mud at the side of the road and slap it on for free.

Can't get poor underestimating the gullibility of folk, or so I was told at the
last Labour Tax Conference.

>I'd love to hear from anyone who has used this type of thing or who has
>any anecdotes.

Yeah, I have an anecdote. Some spammer tried to sell what amounts to a handful
of mud for the price of a couple of gallons of petrol, by posting a fake "I'm a
journalist" post to a newsgroup, and hopefully got bad publicity.

And the other anecdote, about how stupid someone would have to be to buy mud,
water or just "dirt" well I would like to add another product to the portfolio
but I guess you're already willing to sell London Bridge to the hapless
punters.

>If you'd rather not be identified, email .

And don't sign up this address to every porn site in the eastern hemisphere,
guys and gals.

Old June 5th 05, 11:46 PM

> Yeah, I have an anecdote. Some spammer tried to sell what amounts to a handful
> of mud for the price of a couple of gallons of petrol, by posting a fake "I'm a
> journalist" post to a newsgroup, and hopefully got bad publicity.

Not fake. I'm not affiliated with the company in any way. I asked here
because I thought this was a knowledgeable community of motoring
enthusiasts.

Old June 6th 05, 12:15 AM
Charles Holder

Try

rav.com

))

--
A father is someone who carries pictures where his money used to be.

Old June 6th 05, 02:08 PM
Peter D. Hipson

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:00:42 +0100, Sleeker GT Phwoar
> wrote:

>Why is it that people think "Motoring enthusiast"="Criminal"?
>Would you also asume that some selling machetes and stocking masks with
>rohypnol thrown in free to sweeten the deal might interest us too?

I'm not sure I saw that in the replies... I think what the general
consensus was that if (big IF) the product were real, it was also
really stupid.

The bottom line is that the reason they are selling it IS TO BLOCK
license plates. Their web site says so in big bold print (They say
"not to be used to cover the license plate", just in case someone
doesn't pick up quickly enough the conecpt from their picture.
Old June 6th 05, 03:15 PM
Mike Romain

I get 'real' mud on my 4x4 and I have been stopped by the police because
said mud obscured my plate. On several occasions. Even got stopped
because the mud obscured the 'light' for the plate, the plate was ok.

I now stop and clean my plates along with my lights before driving on
public roads again.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's