Busting Belts

Old June 1st 05, 05:05 AM
MicroBiz

Default Busting Belts

After breaking 3 Alternator belts I realized my Crank pulley and Alternator
pulley are not in the same alignment. I started having the problems after I
replaced my generator with a Bosch alternator. I used the stock pulleys,
should I have replaced the pulleys with aftermarket ones to align the
pulleys or is my problem deeper???

Old June 1st 05, 08:16 AM
Kevin Holzer

MicroBiz wrote:
> After breaking 3 Alternator belts I realized my Crank pulley and Alternator
> pulley are not in the same alignment. I started having the problems after I
> replaced my generator with a Bosch alternator. I used the stock pulleys,
> should I have replaced the pulleys with aftermarket ones to align the
> pulleys or is my problem deeper???

You are using the alternator belt, correct? I'm not 100% sure there is
a difference (I've only ever used generators) but am very close to sure.
You still need to get the alignment problem dealt with. Is there a
different stand/oil filler that goes with alternators? Perhaps you have
an incorrect one for your alternator or for your particular case.
Just a couple of guesses, ask your VWAPS if any of this is possible (or
wherever you bought the alternator from).
-Kevin
Old June 1st 05, 04:17 PM

Kevin Holzer wrote:
> MicroBiz wrote:
> > After breaking 3 Alternator belts I realized my Crank pulley and Alternator
> > pulley are not in the same alignment. I started having the problems after I
> > replaced my generator with a Bosch alternator. I used the stock pulleys,
> > should I have replaced the pulleys with aftermarket ones to align the
> > pulleys or is my problem deeper???
> >

> You are using the alternator belt, correct? I'm not 100% sure there is
> a difference (I've only ever used generators) but am very close to sure.
> You still need to get the alignment problem dealt with. Is there a
> different stand/oil filler that goes with alternators? Perhaps you have
> an incorrect one for your alternator or for your particular case.
> Just a couple of guesses, ask your VWAPS if any of this is possible (or
> wherever you bought the alternator from).
> -Kevin

Have you done any work on the cooling tins? Like maybe installed a new
fan shroud or engine tins. I bought a chrome tin kit and was told I
would have to do some trimming and I thought I had done enough till I
mounted the gen and stood back to look at my accomplishments. I then
spent the next day and a half disassembling, trimming and re-assembling
and it's still not perfect but it's close.

Mine is off a little bit still and you don't have to look that close to
tell it. I have a stock hd pulley on the gen but a billet Scat standard
size crank pulley. I went through several discount parts store belts
and I finally got one from a Napa store. Seems to be holding up much
better and it's had the most miles on it of any belt so far. The
difference is the notches under the belt. The cheap belt had much
smaller notches, many more of them. The Napa belt has a larger notch
and fewer "teeth" I call it.

You might also try putting one more spacer between the pulley. Maybe
running the belt just a little looser will help keep it from slinging
off. I did that too when I put on the Napa belt.

Just for troubleshooting, is your belt being twisted, torn or shreded,
or just thrown off or can you tell?

<><
TC

Old June 1st 05, 04:44 PM
Bob

I had the same problem. I bought a shim kit from CB Performance for about
$8 and was able to get my pulleys in line. I had to shim my crank pulley
out a bit so I turned off the same amount of material from the hub so the
crank bolt would still thread in the same distance. - Bob

Old June 1st 05, 05:27 PM
johnboy

Get one of these. It uses a good, wide belt and comes with a handfull of
shims.
http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/b/images/SERPEN~1.jpg

Old June 2nd 05, 03:00 AM
Busahaulic

John, what is that installed in?
Noticing the yellow....
-BaH BTW Sorry to hear (etc.) Hope ya turn the corner on all the badstuff
soon.

Old June 2nd 05, 06:00 AM
johnboy

"Busahaulic" > wrote in message
> John, what is that installed in?
> Noticing the yellow....

That engine is in the GTII-e. http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/b/

Yep, selling it if I can. Still have not installed your quad HT gauge.

How are things in the PNW?