96 grand cherokee abs light

Old May 5th 05, 04:48 PM
nunya

Default 96 grand cherokee abs light

in line 6 2wd. 205k miles.automatic, its green.

this has been the best purchase of my life (save for the mail-order bride)
but I've got a couple of
"dumb guy" questions.

1) a month ago, I was towed, (no mech. problem, lets just leave it at
that,ok?) and my ABS light came on when I picked the car up. no codes, just
the light. In the course of normal operation, I've done the 50 start cycles,
but the light is still on. Do I need to use some ranger rick secret de-coder
ring? or do I have to do the chickens sacrifice again?

2) a "starting" problem.
when I first crank, it will not start. I have to crank for 5-10 seconds,
then recrank, and it will start right up, no worries.
This happens when hot, cold, over night, after a 10 minute, or 2 hour drive.
It is independant of weather, temp, or operational conditions.

as an aside, I get 17-19 mpg city, 22-24 hwy on regular. I change oil every
3-4k, carries 20lbs of pressure, all in all, a great vehicle.

"A car is like a woman. If you give them what they need before they know
they need it, they won't leave you by the side of the road"

thanks.

Old May 5th 05, 04:55 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

"nunya" > wrote in message
> in line 6 2wd. 205k miles.automatic, its green.
>
> this has been the best purchase of my life (save for the mail-order bride)
> but I've got a couple of
> "dumb guy" questions.
>
> 1) a month ago, I was towed, (no mech. problem, lets just leave it at
> that,ok?) and my ABS light came on when I picked the car up. no codes,
> just the light. In the course of normal operation, I've done the 50 start
> cycles, but the light is still on. Do I need to use some ranger rick
> secret de-coder ring? or do I have to do the chickens sacrifice again?

An ABS sensor is shot.

> 2) a "starting" problem.
> when I first crank, it will not start. I have to crank for 5-10 seconds,
> then recrank, and it will start right up, no worries.
> This happens when hot, cold, over night, after a 10 minute, or 2 hour
> drive. It is independant of weather, temp, or operational conditions.

Crank Position Sensor bad or dirty connection, or loose.

Old May 5th 05, 05:50 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The Antilock Brake System warning light is far more serious than
you're treating it! Can you hear the pump running like the accumulator
has failed? Does pedal pulsate like one of the wheel sensors is not
working and recording wheel lockup? Anyway, take to a shop before you
kill someone.
http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticl...ll_OEM_ABS.htm
If it's hard starting only after it has sat for a while, then your
fuel pressure regulator:
http://members.cox.net/wilsond/Fixes...-regulator.jpg
may be bleeding off back to the tank. For accident safety reasons the
fuel pump only runs for a couple of seconds without the engine running,
so cycle the ignition switch on, off about five time to repressurize.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 5th 05, 06:39 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

Geez, here we go again...

Old May 5th 05, 07:23 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Just because you drive around with your idiot lights on doesn't
mean it's safe.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 5th 05, 08:31 PM
Jeff Strickland

"nunya" > wrote in message
> in line 6 2wd. 205k miles.automatic, its green.

It is widely known that green makes the ABS not work right.

Old May 5th 05, 08:36 PM
Jeff Strickland

THE SKY IS NOT FALLING.

Yes, it is good to take a closer look, no you will not kill anybody.

ABS is a safety feature that one does not have to think that it is there or
not, but if it is there one can behave differently than if it is not. The
ABS light being on means the feature is inactive, and the rest of the
braking system can be relied upon to work properly. ABS prevents wheel lock
in an emergency, if the ABS light is on, then the wheels can lock in the
emergency, and you should be aware that this will happen.

Old May 5th 05, 09:01 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yes, I remember you driving your Chevrolet truck around with it on,
without a care in the world:
http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?p.../techqa/10.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 5th 05, 09:44 PM
Frank Townsend

It is interesting to note that there is no evidence that ABS systems reduce
traffic fatalities.

Initial studies even showed an increase in fatal crashes in ABS equipped
vehicles.

http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/1996/pr121096.htm

Later studies reported no increased fatalities, but no decrease in
collisions

http://www.iihs.org/srpdfs/sr3504.pdf

"Despite impressive test track performance, the on-the-road safety benefits
of car antilocks are disappointing. They haven't cut the frequency or cost
of crashes resulting in insurance claims for vehicle damage. Studies by the
government, Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, and automakers find that
cars with antilocks are in more single-vehicle crashes than cars with
conventional brakes."

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/sfsc.htm#antilocks

Old May 6th 05, 12:08 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

ABS warning light is not the same as the brake warning light, try reading
your link.