Re(2): Jeep alternator

Old March 4th 05, 04:47 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 wrote:

> Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> > At one time, I drove a very used 1991 ex-police Chev Caprice.

8< 8= 8< 8= 8< 8=

> > The alternator's front bearing had locked up solid, and the entire
> > bearing was now spinning in its interference fit,

8< 8= 8< 8= 8< 8=

> > a thick column of smoke poured from the *extremely* hot alternator.
> > The once-greasy painted brackets were now bare steel, dark pink in
> > color.

8< 8= 8< 8= 8< 8=

> > The water treatment averted fire danger due to extreme heat, but in
> > the time it had taken to buy the first bottle of water, the alternator
> > had welded itself solid.

8< 8= 8< 8= 8< 8=

> > Three hours and $250 later, the car had a replacement alternator and a
> > new belt, both of unknown quality.

> I'm curious Dan. Since the alternator was cooked, was there any core
> trade-in value on it towards the new one?

That's the funny part -- there was not a SINGLE usable piece on that
alternator. The rotor, stator and all other internals were thoroughly
barbecued and the housings had sustained severe heat damage (rear) and the
spun bearing (front). Nevertheless, Canadian Tire did deduct the core
value from the final bill. A very expensive doorstop for a remanufacturing
plant somewhere.
Old March 4th 05, 06:44 AM
Joe Pfeiffer

"Daniel J. Stern" > writes:

> > I'm curious Dan. Since the alternator was cooked, was there any core
> > trade-in value on it towards the new one?

> That's the funny part -- there was not a SINGLE usable piece on that
> alternator. The rotor, stator and all other internals were thoroughly
> barbecued and the housings had sustained severe heat damage (rear) and the
> spun bearing (front). Nevertheless, Canadian Tire did deduct the core
> value from the final bill. A very expensive doorstop for a remanufacturing
> plant somewhere.

I can't remember the last time I had a core inspected -- it seems like
the rebuilders have decided it isn't worth trying to get retailers'
counter people to fight with customers over the value, and just accept
that a certain percentage of their cores will be worthless.

I've got a steering box on the way from Firm Feel (it wasn't the
pump... wish I'd seen Steve's email about testing it before I had the
replacement on special order), and they've promised me the core value
on my old box sight unseen.
Old March 4th 05, 10:29 PM
Steve

>>I'm curious Dan. Since the alternator was cooked, was there any core
>>trade-in value on it towards the new one?

See the other thread about someone getting a "rebuilt" master cylinder
with a notch broken out of the gasket sealing surface....

That should tell you how closely "cores" get inspected. Wouldnt surprise
me if some of the trashed parts from Dans alternator made it into
"rebuilt" parts and were sold. :-(

Jeep alternator Smitty Chrysler 19 March 4th 05 10:29 PM
Alternator Replacement 84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Jay Pique Jeep 6 February 14th 05 07:42 PM
What is a TJ? Brian Foster Jeep 23 January 22nd 05 07:06 AM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 03:22 PM