How long does a solid shortblock/bottom end last

Old August 10th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
zigford

Default How long does a solid shortblock/bottom end last

I know nobody likes to answer these questions as their a tons of
variables to consider such as: How often oil is changed, oil quality,
engine temp, thrashing the engine, blah blah.

But I have heard that the long block usually lasts about 60,000 miles.

How long can you expect a well looked after short block to last?

Just curious.

Old August 10th 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

60k sounds about right according to john mayer. just because you don't
drive the car fast doesn't mean engine will last. there is also
underreving factor....

anton

Old August 11th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
zigford

anton wrote:

> 60k sounds about right according to john mayer.

I thought the 60k was long block? (Pistons, rings, cylinders and
heads)

What is life of shortblock? (crank, cam, lifters, rods, case)

Thanks

Old August 11th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

if i had to guess, would go with 60k on bottom end. If the car is
well taken care of, you can still reuse crank, rods, maybe pistons,
case as not as it's not cracked and never been aligned bored before. As
long as wear is within the specs you wouldn't need to replace major
components.

If I were to rebuild an engine, lifters and cam would be on my parts
list.

These are all positive estimates, not always realistic unless you are
the owner of the engine and know that parts used to build it are good
quality. If you want to get more info on this topic i would suggest
looking on the samba or shoptalkforums.

shoptalkforums have quite a few very knowledgle folks on engine
building/rebuilding. Probably some who rebuilds engines for living and
can speak from expirience.

Anton

Old August 12th 06, 08:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Gary Tateosian

The life expectancy of a longblock, or even a shotblock. is directly
related to several factors. Quality of parts, care of assembly,
driving styles knowledge of limitations (may well be related to driving
styles).

A better question may be what are your expectations??

A type one,,...when assembled to specifications, and driven within
reccomended parameters, can and will last a long long while. There are
more than a few documented stories of people going hundreds of
thousands of miles on the original engines...

There are few engines assembled to specifications.

The Bentley is a good modern source for specs.

Live it, Learn it Love it.....

Balance...balance..balance.

Do not make then engine fight itself.

FUEL INJECTION...COATINGS....SYNTHETICS....FILTRATION.. .

There is a lot of info out there..

Read this forum

Read Shop Talk...

Search Out Bob Hoovers Posts...

Its Not Magic....well maybe a litle

This is science, and care of assembly...

Please let us know your goals.

We can tell you if they are realistic.

Angry on Long Island!!! IYM Saturn 6 July 1st 06 02:02 AM
Blown strut...how long do I have? Joshua Bereiter VW air cooled 1 March 14th 05 04:05 PM
to be pretty or long will sow solid ulcers to rigidly improve Confused Lame Possum Technology 0 January 17th 05 11:00 AM
Wanted-1986 Golf MT solid rubber Front Motor Mount Jtkrush VW water cooled 4 October 30th 04 11:49 PM