GMC SAFARI coolant line help..

Old December 21st 04, 02:46 AM
hans

Default GMC SAFARI coolant line help..

I have an aging 1992 GMC safari.. extended van..

i use this as a cargo van mostly, and have no need for the AC in the back or
the rear heater..

the AC is already pooched but the rear heater (driverside middle) is
starting to leak coolant from the rotton plumbing...

does anyone know how this system works.. because i want to bypass those
lines as close to the motor as possible... there is a feed and return line
that comes from somewhere on the passenger side of the motor.. and it may be
actuated by a vacuum valve.. does anyone have a diagram, or has anyone done
this before?

thanks guys

Old December 21st 04, 05:14 PM
Steve W.

On my 95 full sized the rear heat is connected into the original system
using two Ts and a restrictor in the line to the original heater core.
The rear heat is turned on/off with a vacuum controlled valve at the T.
Don't see why you couldn't just remove the current hoses and replace
them with factory style hoses back to the original heater core. That
would eliminate the rear heat and the restrictor. Not hard to do. Now
eliminating the rear AC can be fun depending on how the connected it. On
mine they have a special dual fitting on the rear of the AC compressor
and a special high pressure line as well. I went to GM and bought new
lines for a GMC 2500 with front AC (245.00) and then evacuated and
recharged the system. On others they installed a T fitting in the line.

--
Steve Williams