Dancing yuppie morons in Jetta ad

Old May 31st 05, 12:45 AM
Al Rudderham

On 30 May 2005 15:52:12 -0700, wrote:

>I have to wonder: how does this ad I just endured sell
>product, even to an extremely stupid person??

The same way that "cold" became the primary selling component of beer
ads. Duh. It's the fridge that makes beer cold.

Ads targeted at stupid people **** me off...

--
Remove preceding and trailing X from username for replies
(Sorry, but I'm SICK of spam...)
Old May 31st 05, 02:23 PM

I liked the one with the woman who was in the gym only working on her
left leg and the tag line was "clutch muscle". I thought it was great
cause of how hard it is to push in the clutch on a vw. Of course, a
year later i realized that my clutch cable was sawing thru the metal
bracket on my cabriolet. Fixed it and then the clutch was way easier to
operate.

mike

Old May 31st 05, 05:32 PM

Is your left leg now stronger . . . ?
h2only

Old May 31st 05, 09:56 PM
Rob Guenther

I was going to reply - VW clutches are hard to press down, with confusion...
Then i kept reading :-)

My left leg still feels stronger then the right after 3 years driving my old
1991 Golf... I don't find VW clutches hard to press down, but I drive in a
lot of stop and go (much nicer with my automatic... but I really miss a
standard tranny) - I find the travel is too long tho.
oups.com...

Old May 31st 05, 11:48 PM
Paul

"Not a Yuppie" > wrote in message
: The most irritating TV spot I've seen in years is the recent Jetta ad
: showing a flaky-looking young couple dancing and jumping around on the
: floor, annoying their downstairs neighbor. They keep smiling like
: dopes and don't care when he complains. There's something about the
: look of these people that seems designed to irritate.
:
: After ****ing off the neighbor (it gets passed off as humor), these
: two stupid flakes are shown moving to a bigger house with a new
: subwoofer and doing the same thing to their neighbors. The ad doesn't
: seem to note that bass carries through walls to other houses; or maybe
: the point is confused.
:
: I never want to buy a Jetta if the target market is hipsters who only
: care about their own shallow fun.
:
: Not A Yuppie
:
It's ... just ... a ... commercial ...

Old June 1st 05, 03:14 PM

Yes , I believe it was for a while. But it was so weird after driving
it with the bad cable then fixing the problem and now i can't really
believe how easy it is. For the first week i thought i was going to
push it thru the floorboard.

mike

Old June 5th 05, 08:42 PM

> **Welcome to the lowest common denominator. LOL on your beer comment:
> For years, I've been saying why is there always tons of water and ice
> in beer commercials? Condensation everywhere, splashing ice-cold
> water, ice, snow...etc. After watching one, I'm sure as hell thirsty
> for a soda pop with lots of ice in it.
>
> kaboomie

Emphasis on 'ice-cold' in commercials is a reliable indicator of plonk.
As you approach the freezing point it's hard to differentiate a good
beer from a bad one. (I've been known to send back beer served in
overly frosty glasses - don't need the ice cream headache.)

H2Only . . . but not a teetotaler

Old June 6th 05, 03:26 PM
Daytona Power Sports

I think the original poster, as well as others are missing the message
of the latest advertising campaign. I understood the first commercial
with the dancers to be, they annoyed their neighbor, bought a bigger
stereo, then bought their own house (hence the sold sign in the front
yard). Even with the young driver with the VIP, it seems as though they
are saying the cars are all grown up and civilized, but still maintain
a certain adolescent fun about them, thus balancing responsibily with
reckless abandonment.
I would say that is quite accurate, I have a NB GLX, with the leather
interior and the sunroof, it is almost like a mini-luxury car, but
given an opportunity of a curvy abandoned road, and it is fun to step
on it and make the tires howl in the corners Get it?
Jerry

Jetta Rim Size Glenn VW water cooled 4 May 15th 05 05:21 AM
'95 Jetta III + OBD + clearing code2 XXninjatooXX VW water cooled 3 April 7th 05 12:23 PM
'95 Jetta has an electrical problem? XXninjatooXX VW water cooled 0 April 3rd 05 03:44 PM
2004 Jetta TDI Oil Change Question tug99 VW water cooled 16 December 1st 04 05:08 AM