'97 540i Sport suspension tuning / new tire wear

Old November 22nd 04, 05:18 PM
RAZ

Default '97 540i Sport suspension tuning / new tire wear

Anyone have comments on the alignment of the sports suspension for a 540i?

I recently had the front left control arm with ball joint and new struts
replaced, had it aligned, and put on some new Yoko AVS S2 tires. After 4,000
miles the tires seem to be feathering on the front left outside and front
right inside. The alignment was right on spec and done on a Beissbarth
alignment system which seemed to be highly accurate. Previously it wore the
Dunlop 2000's nice and square, with no feathering.

Any problems and ideas?

BobZ

Old November 24th 04, 10:54 AM
adder

"RAZ" > wrote in message news:<fbpod.84589$5K2.66314@attbi_s03>...
> Anyone have comments on the alignment of the sports suspension for a 540i?
>
> I recently had the front left control arm with ball joint and new struts
> replaced, had it aligned, and put on some new Yoko AVS S2 tires. After 4,000
> miles the tires seem to be feathering on the front left outside and front
> right inside. The alignment was right on spec and done on a Beissbarth
> alignment system which seemed to be highly accurate. Previously it wore the
> Dunlop 2000's nice and square, with no feathering.
>
> Any problems and ideas?
>
> BobZ

Try a google search. I'm sure someone had this exact problem not long ago.........

:-)
Old November 25th 04, 02:00 AM
Michael Low

"RAZ" > wrote in message news:<fbpod.84589$5K2.66314@attbi_s03>...
> Anyone have comments on the alignment of the sports suspension for a 540i?
>
> I recently had the front left control arm with ball joint and new struts
> replaced, had it aligned, and put on some new Yoko AVS S2 tires.

I take it that all the part replacements were just on the left side of
the car.

IMO, one should generally replace suspension components on both sides
of a car when the work was prompted by wear and tear issues. I would
only replace one side if the parts are pretty new and the replacement
was due to unexpected failure or accidental damage. IMO such part
replacements should be symmetrical. I don't think it matters if the
alignment was on spec.

I suspect the unsymmetrical tire wear has something to do with
unsymmetrical suspension performance from the mix of old and new
parts. At this point, I think any original suspenion component from a
'97 E39 is pretty well due for replacement at any time. It's the age
of your car - it's at that point when a few things need replacement.
There are many other owners in the same situation as you are.

Michael