65mph HARD shake -- UPDATE

Old May 3rd 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default 65mph HARD shake -- UPDATE

Okay, some of you may remember about a month ago I wrote about a hard,
almost violent, shake that was occurring in my '99 Miata from around 59
mph on up through 75 and even higher it many cases. Had new tires,
freshly balanced, and just had alignment done. Most suggested it could
be a bent rim.

My Mazda friend offered to take my wheels to his shop and have a close
look at them. So last night I put the car up on jack stands and
removed them and dropped them into his truck. He called me today and
informed me that I did indeed have a bent rim. Plus the balance wasn't
very precise, he re-balanced with the smaller weights I see everyone
recommending. As stupid as it sounds, I'm pretty happy about the bent
rim. I finally have a good answer to this phenomena.

If any of you have any suggestions as to where I can find a good price
on a single 99 stock miata rim, it would be appreciated. I'm not
opposed to a used one, so long as it isn't bent!

Thanks again for all the help.

-Tim

Old May 3rd 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Okay, some of you may remember about a month ago I wrote about a hard,
> almost violent, shake that was occurring in my '99 Miata from around 59
> mph on up through 75 and even higher it many cases. Had new tires,
> freshly balanced, and just had alignment done. Most suggested it could
> be a bent rim.
>
> My Mazda friend offered to take my wheels to his shop and have a close
> look at them. So last night I put the car up on jack stands and
> removed them and dropped them into his truck. He called me today and
> informed me that I did indeed have a bent rim. Plus the balance wasn't
> very precise, he re-balanced with the smaller weights I see everyone
> recommending. As stupid as it sounds, I'm pretty happy about the bent
> rim. I finally have a good answer to this phenomena.
>
> If any of you have any suggestions as to where I can find a good price
> on a single 99 stock miata rim, it would be appreciated. I'm not
> opposed to a used one, so long as it isn't bent!
>
> Thanks again for all the help.
>
> -Tim

There's a 14 incher he

http://tinyurl.com/fgplt

Old May 3rd 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Between ebay and miata.net you'll have no problem. You're going to feel like
you've gotten a new car :-)

Chris
99BBB

Old May 3rd 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

You can buy two aftermarket wheels for the price of one good stock Miata
rim. Having said that, remember that the prices vary quite a bit. I have
four Rota wheels that cost 114 ea at RSpeed's last open house. It seems that
the wheels sold into the Mini market have the same 4x100 bolt pattern and
offset as the Miata wheels.

Old May 3rd 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

http://planetmiata.com/ is another good source for a used rim.

Old May 4th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Chuck said: You can buy two aftermarket wheels for the price of one good
> stock Miata rim.
>
> Maybe what he meant was for the price of buying a replacement rim through
> his mazda dealer. I don't think anybody's crazy enough to do that. The used
> rims are quite inexpensive.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

What is it that the dealer charges for the '95M BBS wheel? It was
something like $900.00 each, iirc. You see them on miata.net for $800.00
or so for the whole set of four pretty often.
They won't be new, but they are usually listed as being in great condition.

I have four 15 inch alloys with mismatched tires that I am going to
sell. I was going to sell them as a set, but it looks like there is a
demand for one or two wheels at a time.

What do you think a fair price is for a used 2000 OEM 15" alloy wheel?
There is no curb rash, no yellowing to the center cap, it has never been
bent, and has maybe 35,000 miles on it.
Two of the four are in this condition, one has a very small curb scrape,
and one has been shaved flat on the curved portion next to the tire
where it also touched a curb.

Pat
Old May 4th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

pws > wrote in
:

> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>> Chuck said: You can buy two aftermarket wheels for the price of
>> one good stock Miata rim.
>>
>> Maybe what he meant was for the price of buying a replacement rim
>> through his mazda dealer. I don't think anybody's crazy enough to
>> do that. The used rims are quite inexpensive.
>>
>> Chris
>> 99BBB

> What is it that the dealer charges for the '95M BBS wheel? It was
> something like $900.00 each, iirc. You see them on miata.net for
> $800.00 or so for the whole set of four pretty often.
> They won't be new, but they are usually listed as being in great
> condition.
>
> I have four 15 inch alloys with mismatched tires that I am going
> to sell. I was going to sell them as a set, but it looks like
> there is a demand for one or two wheels at a time.
>
> What do you think a fair price is for a used 2000 OEM 15" alloy
> wheel? There is no curb rash, no yellowing to the center cap, it
> has never been bent, and has maybe 35,000 miles on it.
> Two of the four are in this condition, one has a very small curb
> scrape, and one has been shaved flat on the curved portion next to
> the tire where it also touched a curb.
>
> Pat

Pat, it's certainly worth $500.00 or more.

Chris, don't pay more than $19.95 and make him pay for shipping.

Well, that oughta start the conversation.... <GD&R>

Old May 4th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E wrote:

> Pat, it's certainly worth $500.00 or more.
>
> Chris, don't pay more than $19.95 and make him pay for shipping.
>
> Well, that oughta start the conversation.... <GD&R>

Chris has 16 inch aftermarket wheels, so putting one 15" OEM wheel on
there might cause him some problems, though it could be fun to watch him
drive off. ;-)

I am not greedy, anyone can have the wheel for $10.00 plus $350.00
shipping, that is my best offer.....This is within the U.S., extra
shipping for international delivery.

Pat

Old May 4th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

pws > wrote in
:

> Chris has 16 inch aftermarket wheels, so putting one 15" OEM wheel
> on there might cause him some problems, though it could be fun to
> watch him drive off. ;-)

He could only drive in circles..... ;-)

Old May 4th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E wrote:

> He could only drive in circles..... ;-)

Do you mean like this guy? :-)

http://tinyurl.com/p4jeu

Pat

5.2L Shake Shake Shake tubbco15 Chrysler 7 October 25th 05 12:14 AM
Shake rattle and roll marx404 Saturn 3 January 19th 05 02:11 PM
YJ Jeep with TJ Hard top and Upper Doors mike Jeep 4 January 17th 05 09:38 PM
90 FORD F150 PICKUP STARTS HARD, THEN DIES websthes Technology 1 December 26th 04 10:39 PM
Assistance needed with Spider '91 hard top Dimitris Alfa Romeo 0 September 3rd 04 02:40 PM