WJ Teves Calipers Chronology

Old April 24th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default WJ Teves Calipers Chronology

2000 WJ, 4 liter, 2WD, now with 105 K.

96 K: Replaced both front rotors, due to warped rotors - judder in
steering wheel - but *never* smelled hot brake pads.

98K: Left front caliper (driver side) exhibited excessive dragging (smells
and vapor). Replaced *both* front Teves calipers.

104.7K: Left front caliper (driver side) exhibited excessive dragging
(smells and vapor smoke). Replaced left front brake line.

105K: Today - Left front caliper (driver side) exhibited excessive
dragging (smells and vapor smoke).

Stopped, let the caliper & rotor cool, and drove home (10 miles) with no
further incident.

WTF!

Does this mean that I need to remove, lubricate the caliper/brake pad
slide areas with Neverseize, every time I change the engine oil?

Anyone have a better fix?

--
Ted Borck

Old April 24th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I believe it means you must replace your valve cover gasket.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 24th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

They (DC) makes a kit to replace the Teves with Akebono units.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/brakes.htm

Old April 25th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default WJ Teves Calipers Chronology - "2001 GrandCherokee_TSB_FrontBrakes_05-003-02.pdf" (0/1) 55.8 kBytes yEnc

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 03:10:05 +0000 (UTC), Ted Borck >
wrote:

>2000 WJ, 4 liter, 2WD, now with 105 K.
>
>96 K: Replaced both front rotors, due to warped rotors - judder in
>steering wheel - but *never* smelled hot brake pads.
>
>98K: Left front caliper (driver side) exhibited excessive dragging (smells
>and vapor). Replaced *both* front Teves calipers.
>
>104.7K: Left front caliper (driver side) exhibited excessive dragging
>(smells and vapor smoke). Replaced left front brake line.
>
>105K: Today - Left front caliper (driver side) exhibited excessive
>dragging (smells and vapor smoke).
>
>Stopped, let the caliper & rotor cool, and drove home (10 miles) with no
>further incident.
>
>WTF!
>
>Does this mean that I need to remove, lubricate the caliper/brake pad
>slide areas with Neverseize, every time I change the engine oil?
>
>Anyone have a better fix?
>
>--
>Ted Borck

The Akebonos (calipers, rotors and pads on front) were fit to my '01
WJ under warranty at 27K, haven't had a problem since. The pad I used
at 76K is from the '03 - end of the run. I don't know if Akebono
supplied the calipers during regular production but the '03 and later
pads fit the Akebono calipers. I don't lube the slides except at pad
service. I do use oil on the studs and only torque to 65 lb-ft (no to
start the lug nut torque thread again). Now at 113k and will probably
make it to 130 based on the remaining pads. Here is a PDF of the TSB.

reboot
Old April 25th 06, 09:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

In article >,
#96 K: Replaced both front rotors, due to warped rotors - judder in
#steering wheel - but *never* smelled hot brake pads.
Wow. You made it to 96K before they warped? Mine first warped at
only 11.5K.

#98K: Left front caliper (driver side) exhibited excessive dragging (smells
#and vapor). Replaced *both* front Teves calipers.
With what? Did you replace with Teves again, or Akebono? New or
rebuilt?

#104.7K: Left front caliper (driver side) exhibited excessive dragging
#(smells and vapor smoke). Replaced left front brake line.
#
#105K: Today - Left front caliper (driver side) exhibited excessive
#dragging (smells and vapor smoke).
I think your piston boot(s) burned off. Did you see any glowing ash
dropping from the calipers while they were smoking? Mine burned off
when I got stuck in traffic. I could feel the heat from the wheel
just standing next to it.

Pull off the pads from the calipers and check to see if the rubber
around the pistons is still intact, if they are not, dirt will get
into the resin pistons and the resulting damage will cause leaks.
At the very least, replace the rubber boots on the Teves calipers.

#Does this mean that I need to remove, lubricate the caliper/brake pad
#slide areas with Neverseize, every time I change the engine oil?
#
#Anyone have a better fix?
Akebono upgrade... http://www.wjjeeps.com/brakes.htm#TSB

/herb
Old April 25th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

It IS possible that your 'new' Teves caliper is bad. Can you do a
warranty exchange? Also, I'd douse everything in brake cleaner prior to
reassembly.

tw
2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton
capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II.

Old May 6th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

twaldron > wrote:

> It IS possible that your 'new' Teves caliper is bad. Can you do a
> warranty exchange? Also, I'd douse everything in brake cleaner prior to
> reassembly.

It's possible - am going to remove the offending caliper, polish and
Neverseize the slides.

It's disappointing that no-one has come up with a cause diagnosis other
than replace parts. Which I did - but didn't prevent a re-occurance of
the problem.

Is it possible that when I previously R&R'd brake pads (on the original
calipers) that pressing the pads & pistons back - back back flushed some
crap out of the calipers and back up into the metal brake line?

--
Ted Borck

<snip>

Old May 6th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Do you own a torque wrench for the wheel lug nuts?

That's about the only other thing that causes warped rotors, except for
the TSB that was mentioned that says the teves caliper is a POS and
doesn't work, another brand is needed....

One gent got it done under warranty....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 6th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

It doesn't hurt a bit, to open the bleeder and waste the contents of the
piston when replacing pads. Especially when the likely alternative is to
force all that old fluid out the master cylinder and all over your (painted)
inner fender.

Earle

Old May 7th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Ted,
No one has ever told us what was wrong that caused the rotors to
wrap, but Daimler replaced both the rotor and calipers under warranty:
http://www.billhughes.com/WJCaliber.jpg They were probably initially
machined out of align.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Ted Borck wrote:

> It's possible - am going to remove the offending caliper, polish and
> Neverseize the slides.
>
> It's disappointing that no-one has come up with a cause diagnosis other
> than replace parts. Which I did - but didn't prevent a re-occurance of
> the problem.
>
> Is it possible that when I previously R&R'd brake pads (on the original
> calipers) that pressing the pads & pistons back - back back flushed some
> crap out of the calipers and back up into the metal brake line?
>
> --
> Ted Borck

AWA [OFFER] Calipers TRW and Dayton [email protected] General 0 April 8th 06 07:51 PM
Rims and Calipers Joao Eliseu VW air cooled 1 June 13th 05 02:16 PM
Calipers MrJ Honda 3 April 9th 05 04:17 AM
Which calipers for USA made '05 Accord LX? Charles Lasitter Honda 4 April 6th 05 06:43 AM
Getting AKEBONO calipers on 01 WJ, best pads / rotors to use? Marc Jeep 1 January 19th 05 04:29 AM