What is a TJ?

Old January 19th 05, 01:25 PM
Brian Foster

Default What is a TJ?

Thanks

Old January 19th 05, 01:55 PM
twaldron

1997+ Jeep Wrangler.

Brian Foster wrote:

> Thanks

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)
Old January 19th 05, 02:58 PM
Brian Foster

Why is it called a TJ?

m...

Old January 19th 05, 03:02 PM
Patrick

For those Americans wondering why this Jeep is called a TJ and not a
Wrangler, it turns out that GM still holds the trademark on the Wrangler
name in Canada (GM named a pickup truck the Wrangler but no longer carries
that model), so Jeep can't use it.

got this from http://www.carleton.ca/~bcousens/JEEP.html

still dont know what the T and the J stand for....

Old January 19th 05, 03:49 PM
Mike Romain

They first made a civilian Jeep and called it a CJ. They then made one
with a soft cushy ride for the yuppies and called it a YJ or Yuppie
Jeep, then they came up with a plastic Jeep with all the bells and
whistles and called it a TJ or maybe a trendy Jeep?

;-)

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 19th 05, 04:30 PM
twaldron

Oh, beHAVE!!

Old January 19th 05, 04:37 PM
twaldron

Well, yes that is true in Canada. However, the vehicle _is_ called a
Wrangler in the US. Internally, the model designation is a TJ while the
first post CJ7 era Wrangler is internally designated the YJ. Avid
Jeepers choose to use these designations to differentiate between the
models and also because we just plain like 'em. Much like Porsche fans
use many 9XX model designations to differentiate between the various 911
variations over the years.

Old January 19th 05, 04:47 PM
griffin

I thought it stood for "True Jeep" and was a cruel joke by the creators in
order to try and cause Bill to explode from agony?

Old January 19th 05, 05:12 PM
Jerry Bransford

So it's not Ford that holds the Wrangler name in Canada like I had been
told years ago?

Jerry

Patrick wrote:
> For those Americans wondering why this Jeep is called a TJ and not a
> Wrangler, it turns out that GM still holds the trademark on the Wrangler
> name in Canada (GM named a pickup truck the Wrangler but no longer carries
> that model), so Jeep can't use it.
>
> got this from http://www.carleton.ca/~bcousens/JEEP.html
>
> still dont know what the T and the J stand for....
> "Brian Foster" > wrote in message
>
>>Why is it called a TJ?

. com...

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old January 19th 05, 05:25 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

I've always understood it to be GM, I believe they use(d) the name Wrangler
for a small pickep truck, possible the S-10 equivalent.