Clutch?

Old March 28th 05, 10:31 PM
BRUCE HASKIN

No, it is as simple as the clutch "slave" cyl. Check the fluid first,
then if you go under the car by the right front wheel, you will fine the
"slave cyl." by the starter. Pull the rubber boot back, if it is wet,
you just need to repair it ( new one or rebuild it your self. ) Go to
Miata.net and look in the garage section. There is a complete
explanation on, how to check, how to replace and you can buy a new one
online.

This is a very easy replacement. If you have any hand tools, it takes
longer to jack the car up and remove te wheel than it does to change the
cyl. ( There is NO adjustment for the clutch ! )

Good luck, IT is easy to fix !!!!

Bruce RED '91

Old March 28th 05, 10:37 PM
Mike

Default Clutch?

Your clutch slave cylinder is going bad. If you check the smaller fluid
reservoir on the firewall by the brake fluid master, I would bet it is low
on fluid. Top it off to the full line with fresh DOT 3 brake fluid. Most
times when the clutch slave is failing, you can pump the clutch pedal and
get it to work for a short time. Check out these fine write ups on
Miata.net. http://www.miatanet.com/garage/slavecyl.html The garage section
is an excellent source for info http://www.miatanet.com/garage/ as is the
forums. http://forum.miata.net/

I found it a fairly simple do it your self project, but I went out and
bought a set of metric flair nut wrenches. I needed the 10mm one so that I
didn't ruin the line connection. I have bought after market both times and
they ran like $40 from All Car and even less on eBay. $65.71 plus shipping
from http://www.trussvillemazda.com/PartsStore/index.cfm

Old March 29th 05, 12:36 AM
W. Kiernan

and Mike wrote:

> Your clutch slave cylinder is going bad...

Well, I had the same symptom and I took my '93 (which I bought used) to
a Miata shop. The mechanic pointed out that the slave cylinder looked
fairly new; it turned out that the clutch master cylinder was shot. It
still was a cheap repair. I would have been pretty disappointed if I
had gone ahead and replaced the slave cylinder only to find that my
clutch still didn't work. So check them both before spending any money
on replacement parts.

yours wdk

Old March 29th 05, 02:07 AM
Natman

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:36:16 -0500, "W. Kiernan"
> wrote:

>BRUCE HASKIN wrote:
>>
>> No, it is as simple as the clutch "slave" cyl.

>and Mike wrote:
>>
>> Your clutch slave cylinder is going bad...

>Well, I had the same symptom and I took my '93 (which I bought used) to
>a Miata shop. The mechanic pointed out that the slave cylinder looked
>fairly new; it turned out that the clutch master cylinder was shot. It
>still was a cheap repair. I would have been pretty disappointed if I
>had gone ahead and replaced the slave cylinder only to find that my
>clutch still didn't work. So check them both before spending any money
>on replacement parts.
>
>yours wdk

In general you are right, it could be either. For some reason in
Miatas, the slave cylinder almost always goes first.
Old March 30th 05, 05:09 PM
KWS

"Natman" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:36:16 -0500, "W. Kiernan"
> > wrote:
>
> >BRUCE HASKIN wrote:
> >>
> >> No, it is as simple as the clutch "slave" cyl.

> >and Mike wrote:
> >>
> >> Your clutch slave cylinder is going bad...

> >Well, I had the same symptom and I took my '93 (which I bought used) to
> >a Miata shop. The mechanic pointed out that the slave cylinder looked
> >fairly new; it turned out that the clutch master cylinder was shot. It
> >still was a cheap repair. I would have been pretty disappointed if I
> >had gone ahead and replaced the slave cylinder only to find that my
> >clutch still didn't work. So check them both before spending any money
> >on replacement parts.
> >
> >yours wdk
> >

> In general you are right, it could be either. For some reason in
> Miatas, the slave cylinder almost always goes first.

Probably the reduction in life brought about by being bolted to a hot
engine.

Ken

Wrong Clutch Fork? Michael White Jeep 6 February 8th 05 03:33 AM
Need good clutch for '94 4Runner V6 Matt Lang 4x4 4 January 14th 05 12:40 AM
Wacky Clutch Peter Pontbriand Jeep 14 December 19th 04 12:42 PM
Clutch Questions Jeff Strickland BMW 5 December 15th 04 12:45 AM
Land Rover Series 3 Clutch bc 4x4 0 August 13th 04 03:36 PM