04s20 Recall 2002

Old January 20th 05, 11:12 PM
JaWise

Default 04s20 Recall 2002

I got the recall done on my explorer yesterday for the rear glass. It doesn't
look to me like they have done anything to fix the problem with the brackets
for the strut rotating and the strut popping off? Has anyone else had this
done? I thought they were installing some kind of redesigned brackets to fix
this. I've had to have mine fixed twice already for the struts popping off
when the brackets rotate.
Old January 21st 05, 03:18 AM
Jim Warman

Two possibilities come to mind.... the first is that the ball stud bracket
replacement is dependent on which ones your car is fitted with. If yours has
beauty bolts visible from the outside, they should have been changed, if
not, there is another problem that isn't covered under the campaign. The
other possibility is that some individual, somewhere is sluffing - when
installing the new ball stud brackets, it is real easy to get the back
window to explode. Two of them in our shop in the last while. Perhaps
someone, somewhere just isn't into living dangerously...

As for anyone sluffing off on their job... that is a problem with all of
society, not mechanics in general nor dealerships specifically.

Old January 23rd 05, 12:30 AM
JaWise

>hat the ball stud bracket
>replacement is dependent on which ones your car is fitted with. If yours has
>beauty bolts visible from the outside, they should have been changed

Mine does have the beauty bolts on the outside. How would I know it they've
been replaced? They've already had to rotate and re-glue them twice.
Old January 24th 05, 03:29 AM
Jim Warman

The new mounts will not have the beauty bolts showing...

HTH.

Old January 24th 05, 04:54 PM
JaWise

>The new mounts will not have the beauty bolts showing...

Looks like my dealer didn't do the full recall! This should be fun to get
taken care of. Do you know how the new brackets solve the rotation problem??
Old January 24th 05, 08:44 PM
Jim Warman

Oops... that'll teach me to read the whole thing.... I got as far as discard
the old beauty bolts and didn't bother going as far as install the new
beauty bolts....

On the old installation, there will be a steel washer between the plastic
spacer and the glass. The change-up deletes the steel washer. Hope this
clears up any screw ups I made....